monkeyface_zeal

Van Staal VR50 atrocious line lay

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, monkeyface_zeal said:

I was really excited to get my VR50, but the line lay after I spooled it is awful. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove a washer, so is there nothing I can do to adjust this? Anybody else encounter this?

PXL_20210313_211728322.jpg

You have to shim the rotor. One would assume VS has the shims to do this. I would contact them and tell them what's going on. They'll probably send you the shims for free.

4 hours ago, RockRonin said:

You have to shim the rotor. One would assume VS has the shims to do this. I would contact them and tell them what's going on. They'll probably send you the shims for free.

Or return it and wait to get a new version with improved gears

9 hours ago, RockRonin said:

There’s no way to shim the rotor that I know of, only the main shaft where it attaches to the oscillation block. This reel looks so far off that it should be returned. 

41 mins ago, beerdoh said:

There’s no way to shim the rotor that I know of, only the main shaft where it attaches to the oscillation block. This reel looks so far off that it should be returned. 

You could shim between the pinion assembly and rotor. I am not sure if VS is providing those shims, but it’s certainly an option. I like the option of return and get one with bigger gears though. 

5 mins ago, ged said:

You could shim between the pinion assembly and rotor. I am not sure if VS is providing those shims, but it’s certainly an option. I like the option of return and get one with bigger gears though. 

You could in theory but I don't see where you'd put it unless there's a specially made one to sit on the rotor seat with holes drilled in it to accommodate the pins. There's no option in any of the schematics.

There are "spool shaft spacers" available. I just recently bought a couple to improve my line lay. 

Is there a VR50 with bigger gears? I hadn't heard. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

Sounds like a plan.

35 mins ago, beerdoh said:

That seems to be everyone's question, and it hasn't been answered yet by VS 

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

You could in theory but I don't see where you'd put it unless there's a specially made one to sit on the rotor seat with holes drilled in it to accommodate the pins. There's no option in any of the schematics.

There are "spool shaft spacers" available. I just recently bought a couple to improve my line lay. 

I have 1 ZeeBaaS that uses the same keyed spacer under the rotor. 

1 hour ago, LB said:

That seems to be everyone's question, and it hasn't been answered yet by VS 

Is there any reason to believe that a new one is coming out? Or is it pure speculation?

3 mins ago, monkeyface_zeal said:

Is there any reason to believe that a new one is coming out? Or is it pure speculation?

See post #90 

I would definitely send it in. Taking it to the store and getting them to spool it is a no no. As others said, all that does will hide the problem until you are out on the water, and we all know if there’s a technical difficulty, it makes itself apparent at the worst time. 

"The VR50 reels have a new larger module gear that increases gear engagement and you'll find that it's a beast of a little reel!"

Above is a quote from post #90. Is it referring to the current model as to having a new larger gear or a whole new vr50. He states the new lefty vr51/51b will be coming out it July. Guess the only way to tell is if they have the same awesome drag knob as the new vr150b. But a little clarification from VS would be appreciated.

7 mins ago, BDigital said:

"The VR50 reels have a new larger module gear that increases gear engagement and you'll find that it's a beast of a little reel!"

So are they saying the new model will have the thicker main gear and larger pinion gear with deeper gear teeth for better engagement? that's what l think they did when the body width was widened.

31 mins ago, BDigital said:

Above is a quote from post #90. Is it referring to the current model as to having a new larger gear or a whole new vr50. He states the new lefty vr51/51b will be coming out it July. Guess the only way to tell is if they have the same awesome drag knob as the new vr150b. But a little clarification from VS would be appreciated.

Yeah, I read that as the lefty is coming out later, but the new righty version is already shipping.

In fact, I think this lemon might be the new version based on the drag knob, which looks different from what I can see in all the other pictures. It also came with a bailless conversion kit. Is this the new version?

PXL_20210314_194845557.jpg

My brother-in-law sent me a Instagram post from our local tackle shop and it also mentioned a 75. Did they come up with a larger size?

741836CD-EEDB-4C25-B223-1F726374BAA9.png.5f82fccd7807fa2ed8c8fcefd7199c62.png