monkeyface_zeal

Van Staal VR50 atrocious line lay

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

I was really excited to get my VR50, but the line lay after I spooled it is awful. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove a washer, so is there nothing I can do to adjust this? Anybody else encounter this?

PXL_20210313_211728322.jpg

Uff that is not good at all. I don’t have one but is the spool seated properly. Someone on here should know something.  

23 mins ago, MattieG said:

Do the painstaking task of pulling all that braid off the reel. Then take the reel to a shop, and have new line put on by machine. Problem will be solved. 

I would not recommend doing this. If the reel doesn’t lay line perfect then fix the problem or send it back. 

Unfortunately the way the VR spool sits on the main shaft shimming isn’t easy. Is it possible the spool wasn’t on properly or was stupid loose when you lined it? 

I would return it and buy the nee improved VR50 with bigger gears. :)

Wow, that looks bad.  Definitely check to make sure the spool is seated correctly and is tightened down.

If you have, try to take off the line off by tying the other end of the line to another empty reel and unwind the line. 

If its still like that, then you got a lemon, definitely return it for a new one.

1 hour ago, MattieG said:

Do the painstaking task of pulling all that braid off the reel. Then take the reel to a shop, and have new line put on by machine. Problem will be solved. 

Why should I have to go to a shop to put line on my reel? I've always put it on myself with no issues, I'm stunned that a reel in this price range would have an issue like this.

1 hour ago, MattieG said:

What happens after he casts?  Won't the line lay go back to what he has??

As long as your sure the spool was seated on the crosspin, take your line off and send it back. Unfortunately the QC on the VR50s are bad compared to the rest of Van Staals line up. You paid good money for that reel and you should get a functioning product. Or return it and wait for the newer edition coming out. 

51 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I second make sure spool is seated right first before you send it back ! I did the same thing last season 

Thanks, checked and respooled a little and it's definitely seated right. But also noticed that the drag is really jerky so I think something is just off on this one. Going to send it back for a new one and give VS one more chance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, ged said:

I would not recommend doing this. If the reel doesn’t lay line perfect then fix the problem or send it back. 

Unfortunately the way the VR spool sits on the main shaft shimming isn’t easy. Is it possible the spool wasn’t on properly or was stupid loose when you lined it? 

I would return it and buy the nee improved VR50 with bigger gears. :)

Is there a new VR50 with bigger gears? I haven’t heard about that one yet, I’d love to check it out 

Edited by saltygator

Posted (edited) · Report post

Same exact thing happened to mine. I always spool my own reels and have never had an issue. I brought it to the shop and had them spool it. Which was the wrong thing to do. It just masks the problem. I am returning mine and waiting for the new model.

Edited by BDigital