Emerald Isle - The Point - June 5-12

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I will be in Emerald Isle June 5-12th at "The Point". What should I expect to catch at that time of year from the surf and how to catch them? Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A great time to fish Emerald Isle. Ya never know what you’ll be catching there that time of year. Pups, Spanish, sea mullet, blues, pomp’s, flounder, you name it. Throw out a bait on a fishfinder and some Fishbites on a  multi-hook bottom rig. Sandfleas, shrimp, finger mullet, bunker or whatever panfish you catch for bait. Then cast some lures, paddle tails and metal recommend. Driving access closes on April 30, so we won’t be around. Try the Bouge Inlet pier, too. Give pin rigging a shot for a king or cobia. Those are fish of a lifetime and will give you memories that last forever. 

Edited by Rougesun

This area is great.  I have never fished that early in the summer, but it might be better than when I have been there?

I caught a bunch of Spanish mackerel and blues in the mornings and evenings.  It seemed to be an hour or two window from sunrise then again an hour or two window before sunset.  If you have an 8'-10' spoon slinger, that is preferred, but not necessary.  It gets you the extra distance and handles the stress of casting 3/4oz-2oz of lead.  I use an Okuma "salmon rod".  Much easier to cast after cast than a surf rod.

Use a good 3'-10' of either flour or mono leader.  I use 30# @ 7' of mono.  I have used 20# flouro but they bite through too easily.  30# flouro is probably idea.  I use 20# power pro braid as main line.  I can cast probably 50-60 yards?  Last time that I went, no need to wade out.  I was standing right in the wash area, getting bites at the end of my cast, all of the way until about 20 yards out.  Using lead casting spoons.  If there is a long shore current, cast a little "up stream" of the current and reel in fast, but not too fast.  People say to real as fast as you can, but often that will make your lure spin if current.  They will hit if not reeling as fast as you can.  Have your drag set loose, but not too loose...  The big ones hit hard and you will pull your hook if you don't allow them a chance to run.  They seem to have one or two initial runs, will jump, then not too hard to get in.  If your drag is too tight, those initial runs will widen the hole of your hook set, then as soon as they jump, you are losing that fish.  Go to the local tackle shops and ask around of what they recommend.  Don't stop at Walmart to save a buck.  These guys will have you on fish and well worth the extra few bucks.  The pandemic hit them much harder than Walmart.

I seemed to do best on the outgoing tide, my thought is bait being washed out.  But the morning and evening are key.  Swim during the day.  But this was also later July.

If the surf isn't ideal for surf fishing, the pier should have some fish further out.  Spanish mackerel and blues will be from mid pier to the end.  Gotcha plugs seem to be the go to.  For these a smaller rod (7' medium) works best.  Similar set up with the braid and mono.  I also add an 18" section of 50# flouro.  I have found that they seem to hit Gotcha plugs from the side, as opposed to the casting spoons from behind.  Usually more in the schools out on the pier too.  Get a nice one on, then his buddy tries to steal it from his mouth and bites him free.  I have always read to stay away from steel leaders.  50# bite leader reduces bites too.  I went out one day using 20# flouro and had 4 plugs bit off in 20 minutes, put that bite leader on, bites went down a bit, but landed every fish.  Finding your own happy medium is key.

Other years we stayed further from the inlet and did well fishing sand fleas on pompano rigs (which we couldn't find any fleas last time there).  We caught mostly sea mullet (southern kingfish or whiting, they have many names), pompano and black drum.

The inlet itself will have fish too.  If you have a cast net, it is great.  The back side of the inlet is filled with mullet.  Toss one of those on and throw into the inlet and you will get a bite on almost every cast (usually bluefish or big lizzard fish).  In the sound itself, there are a good bit of trout, flounder and redfish, but the access is really bad in EI.  Almost all private property.  If things are rough out front, well worth renting a kayak for a day or two on the sound side.

Low tide at the point is pretty cool for smaller kids.  Not the best for fishing.  I'm sure it changes every year, but the sandbar that the inlet created when we were last there, reached out into the ocean probably 100 yards.  Which made for basically a large swimming pool.  That was pretty cool for swimming and just a change of the normal ocean, but for fishing, it didn't help,.

Porktown is correct on many if not all things listed above. Every time I have fished that area near sunset, have a rod with a silver ready for the blue blitz. 

I'll be there in mid July.  Staying in "The Point" area again.  Can't wait! 

Now I just need to fight off the urge to buy any more gear until I get there.

Hoping the sand fleas (and the fish eating them) are around this year.  Those spanish mackerel and bluefish are a blast on metals, but I'd take pompano over either any day for the table.  They all fight well too. 

Thanks for the info. Have never fished this early in the summer so interested to see what I might catch.

The two setups I'm planning on taking are:

BG4000 w/ 20# braid on a 10'6" 1-4oz Medium Heavy Fast w/ a 30-40# leader in fluoro or mono

BG2500 w/ 20# braid on a 7'6" 1/4-1oz Medium Xtra Fast w/ 30-40# leader in fluoro or mono

Mostly looking to throw metal and plastic lures with these setups. Planning on getting some gotcha plugs and whatever they recommend at a local tackle shop. 

Those set ups sound like you are ready to hammer some fish.  My surf metal slinger reel is 4000 Penn Battle II which is almost identical to the BG, w/ 20# braid too.  I have 3000 Battle 3 for the pier/sound, but have used the 4000 many times and just fine.  As long as that 10'-6" is comfortable to cast repeatedly, the rods sound good to me.  The surf casting with metals is pretty non stop cast reel, cast reel, until one hits.  If my arms get tired from casting, that spot likely isn't producing and I walk down the beach a bit and let my arms rest. 

I try to pack as lightly as possible when doing the metals from the surf thing.  I will often cover a pretty long stretch.  I use a rather cheap "cooler" back pack.  I put some frozen water bottles in, a 2.5 gallon zip lock bag if I am keeping fish, to keep things clean.  A small box of lures and usually a small box of pompano rigs if I decide to switch things up.  Whatever tools you usually need and a rod spike strapped on, to make easier handling of any fish caught or changing out of lures, or just want to make sure to keep the reel out of the sand.  Something that I can wear to cast and scout until I find a spot that is producing.  I try to avoid two rods at one time, but is so hard to convince myself, especially first day or two!  More often I end up having to walk back 50 yards to grab stuff that I left on the beach, than it having me catch more fish...  I have a small beach dolly that I can put a cooler, chair, rod holders, etc. on.  It is nice if you are looking to fish one spot for a while, but same thing with that backtracking to go get your stuff.  I save that thing for transporting the family's daytime beach supplies.

One thing that I noticed about the Spanish mackerel and have heard others say as well.  When you see a bunch of them jumping, rarely will you get into them.  If you see one jump every so often, they seem to bite.  They do seem to bite the best when you can't see them out of the water though.  That isn't always the case obviously.  I have caught some when I see a bunch jumping, but have also thrown every lure in my bag at those groups and nothing.  I personally can't resist casting where I see 20-30 fish jumping out of the water.

I personally need to figure out a better strategy for the pompano and others.  I'm pretty sure they are biting at the same time as metal slinging bite, so probably missing out on them while focusing on the others.