Chrishockey

TFO GIS Tactical Series Surf Rods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

39 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

That is interesting idea, I wish there was somewhere or someone that actually did or does testing right now to see if a fishing rod does/ would actually get weaker and fail.

Some of my oldest rods(20+years) Creek from day one and then some don't creak at all.

So, until someone actually does a documentary or something like that experimenting and showing that I'm not going to go with it.

I will say this, when I get a hit I try to stand that fish on its head and none of my big sticks make any strange noises or anything like that.

HH

Same. I always “beach”/land a fish by laying it’s head on a rock or whatever I can to alleviate pressure on my rod and grab the leader. 

On 3/13/2021 at 6:51 PM, recoil said:

I have the blue 9 footer, rated 1 - 5,  and it's great.

It pairs nicely with a VS 150.

I know the earlier blanks without the fuji guides had rust probems.

I have a grey 10.5’ I got some used some 5-6 years ago. It had the bottom guide replaced with a Fuji. The only guide that rusted was the Fuji.

5 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Same. I always “beach”/land a fish by laying it’s head on a rock or whatever I can to alleviate pressure on my rod and grab the leader. 

I do the very same thing.

HH

On 3/13/2021 at 3:51 PM, Chrishockey said:

Does anybody have any comments about the TFO tactical surf rods? How is the "Magnum Action"?

Great rods but they need to ditch the lowriders. I wish they'd use the same guides that are on my St Croix Legends. If they did that, I'd buy a bunch of them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, Chass510 said:

I'd love to hear additional personal accounts of the GIS Tactical Series Surf Rod.

Two different rods.  There's the GIS Surf AND the Tactical Surf.  It appears the GIS is being replaced by the Tactical as all the GIS surf models are listed as "out of stock" on the TFO site.  

Based on pictures from the site, it appears the Tactical version is using K-frame versus the low-rider style guides on the GIS.

Edited by FoliFish