Chrishockey

TFO GIS Tactical Series Surf Rods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have the blue 9 footer, rated 1 - 5,  and it's great.

It pairs nicely with a VS 150.

I know the earlier blanks without the fuji guides had rust probems.

I have the 9’ 1-5 too and I love it. I’d call it more of a 1-3 and definitely not something I’d throw 4+ with. It’s really stiff, so keep that in mind.. Great for metals and jigs with plenty of backbone. The blank is tough too - I’ve had a few mishaps that I thought would be the end of it but it’s still alive. 

I still have the original 9' and 10'6" TFO rods.  They work great.  Its a fast action rod and its great for the canal.  Never understood why they went with a "blue" blank color....

6 hours ago, Chrishockey said:

Does anybody have any comments about the TFO tactical surf rods? How is the "Magnum Action"?

4 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Garbage.

Why would you say that?

Personal experience?

Garbage. Better to buy a used high end rod on the BST 

Can you elaborate on that?

People come here looking for looking for help/advice in making tackle purchases.

Making a strong statement like you did won’t help anyone unless you explain why you think the rod is garbage.

I’m interested in reading your explanation as well.

Thanks

Why is it garbage?

I am just curious about your statement, rods are cheap not expensive to make but I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a rod.

So my question is totally out of curiosity.

HH

What's the difference between the tactical surf and the gis surf? I see all of the gis models are out of stock on tfo's website. Did they do away with the gis and redesign it and give it a new name? FWIW, I have the 10'6" gis 2-6 and I absolutely love it.

6 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

2 hours ago, valentine said:

Can you elaborate on that?

People come here looking for looking for help/advice in making tackle purchases.

Making a strong statement like you did won’t help anyone unless you explain why you think the rod is garbage.

I’m interested in reading your explanation as well.

Thanks

Yeah I would love to hear why it’s not good. What experience did you have with it?

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Why would you say that?

Personal experience?

Yes personal experience but maybe it’s because of the way I fish. I always lean hard into fish. The faster I get them in, the better shape they will be in for a release. They lose their performance/crispness eventually 

Edited by LockedDrag

6 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Why is it garbage?

I am just curious about your statement, rods are cheap not expensive to make but I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a rod.

So my question is totally out of curiosity.

HH

They feel brittle to me when I lean hard into fish. After a half season of use, it lost some of its performance and developed a “flat spot” near the top of the blank where the rod typically bends to. Made sensitivity pretty much nonexistent. But maybe it’s just me you know. I fish a lot and I put a lot of pressure on my gear and the fish to get them in as fast as I can so I don’t have to do much reviving and the fish is in better shape. I’ve had the same experience with other low/mid-their rods that have done the same thing. Airwave elite. Mojo surf. Star Rods VPR. Penn prevail. I’ve abused my legend for 3 years (3-4 nights a week in 2017 at the canal), handled vaportrails that were 6+ years old, couple of century rods, and action on them are as crisp as the day I last used them. No loss in performance. 

7 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

They feel brittle to me when I lean hard into fish. After a half season of use, it lost some of its performance and developed a “flat spot” near the top of the blank where the rod typically bends to. Made sensitivity pretty much nonexistent. But maybe it’s just me you know. I fish a lot and I put a lot of pressure on my gear and the fish to get them in as fast as I can so I don’t have to do much reviving and the fish is in better shape. I’ve had the same experience with other low/mid-their rods that have done the same thing. Airwave elite. Mojo surf. Star Rods VPR. Penn prevail. I’ve abused my legend for 3 years (3-4 nights a week in 2017 at the canal), handled vaportrails that were 6+ years old, couple of century rods, and action on them are as crisp as the day I last used them. No loss in performance. 

I have to be honest with you, I never ever heard of a ride getting squeak or soft or whatever you want to call it.

I never noticed any of that with any of mine.

But, I must say stranger things have happened.

HH

4 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I have to be honest with you, I never ever heard of a ride getting squeak or soft or whatever you want to call it.

I never noticed any of that with any of mine.

But, I must say stranger things have happened.

HH

Lol yeah I wasn’t sure how to explain it honestly. But yeah maybe it’s just me and the way I fish. I’ve had rods like my recent mojo inshore that when I whip it around, I can hear the fibers creaking and splitting like it’s ready to blow on the next hook set but that’s after 4 years of use

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Lol yeah I wasn’t sure how to explain it honestly. But yeah maybe it’s just me and the way I fish. I’ve had rods like my recent mojo inshore that when I whip it around, I can hear the fibers creaking and splitting like it’s ready to blow on the next hook set but that’s after 4 years of use

That is interesting idea, I wish there was somewhere or someone that actually did or does testing right now to see if a fishing rod does/ would actually get weaker and fail.

Some of my oldest rods(20+years) Creek from day one and then some don't creak at all.

So, until someone actually does a documentary or something like that experimenting and showing that I'm not going to go with it.

I will say this, when I get a hit I try to stand that fish on its head and none of my big sticks make any strange noises or anything like that.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter