SigTauSherman

Scotty rod holders

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking to outfit my boat with some rod holders, the ones by Scotty look good and have great reviews. I fish for everything from panfish to stripers, are the powerlock rod holders strong enough for bigger stripers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have several of the mounts on my gunnels and several different types of their rod holders I can switch in and out depending on what I am doing, from my experience they are very high quality, strong, reliable rod holders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 3:09 PM, SigTauSherman said:

Looking to outfit my boat with some rod holders, the ones by Scotty look good and have great reviews. I fish for everything from panfish to stripers, are the powerlock rod holders strong enough for bigger stripers?

Shouldn't you be trolling or chunking with your drag kinda loose anyway? Sucks trying to get a rod out of a holder with a big fish on and the drag too tight. I've got several kinds of Scotty for the kayaks, I honestly like the rocket launcher tube best for it's foolproof simplicity. No locking straps or ring to mess with.  Just stay away from the ball mounts, they always slip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, gellfex said:

Shouldn't you be trolling or chunking with your drag kinda loose anyway? Sucks trying to get a rod out of a holder with a big fish on and the drag too tight. I've got several kinds of Scotty for the kayaks, I honestly like the rocket launcher tube best for it's foolproof simplicity. No locking straps or ring to mess with.  Just stay away from the ball mounts, they always slip.

Really?  Guess you've never fished 130s lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gellfex said:

Guess not, what are 130s?

130 pound class rods/reels....for giants and big marlin.  Strike drag set at 70# or so

 

Ton of fun getting a loaded 130 out of one holder and into another holder or the chair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, makorider said:

130 pound class rods/reels....for giants and big marlin.  Strike drag set at 70# or so

 

Ton of fun getting a loaded 130 out of one holder and into another holder or the chair

You're correct then, I've never fished 130s. Makes my back hurt thinking about it. I don't think Scotty's are up to that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, gellfex said:

You're correct then, I've never fished 130s. Makes my back hurt thinking about it. I don't think Scotty's are up to that either.

or many gunnells and covering boards lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, makorider said:

or many gunnells and covering boards lol

So it's kinda irrelevant to the OPs question about Scottys and stripers then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.