SigTauSherman

Scotty rod holders

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking to outfit my boat with some rod holders, the ones by Scotty look good and have great reviews. I fish for everything from panfish to stripers, are the powerlock rod holders strong enough for bigger stripers?

I have several of the mounts on my gunnels and several different types of their rod holders I can switch in and out depending on what I am doing, from my experience they are very high quality, strong, reliable rod holders. 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:09 PM, SigTauSherman said:

Looking to outfit my boat with some rod holders, the ones by Scotty look good and have great reviews. I fish for everything from panfish to stripers, are the powerlock rod holders strong enough for bigger stripers?

Shouldn't you be trolling or chunking with your drag kinda loose anyway? Sucks trying to get a rod out of a holder with a big fish on and the drag too tight. I've got several kinds of Scotty for the kayaks, I honestly like the rocket launcher tube best for it's foolproof simplicity. No locking straps or ring to mess with.  Just stay away from the ball mounts, they always slip.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, gellfex said:

Shouldn't you be trolling or chunking with your drag kinda loose anyway? Sucks trying to get a rod out of a holder with a big fish on and the drag too tight. I've got several kinds of Scotty for the kayaks, I honestly like the rocket launcher tube best for it's foolproof simplicity. No locking straps or ring to mess with.  Just stay away from the ball mounts, they always slip.

Really?  Guess you've never fished 130s lol

Just now, gellfex said:

Guess not, what are 130s?

130 pound class rods/reels....for giants and big marlin.  Strike drag set at 70# or so

Ton of fun getting a loaded 130 out of one holder and into another holder or the chair

1 min ago, makorider said:

130 pound class rods/reels....for giants and big marlin.  Strike drag set at 70# or so

Ton of fun getting a loaded 130 out of one holder and into another holder or the chair

You're correct then, I've never fished 130s. Makes my back hurt thinking about it. I don't think Scotty's are up to that either.

3 mins ago, gellfex said:

You're correct then, I've never fished 130s. Makes my back hurt thinking about it. I don't think Scotty's are up to that either.

or many gunnells and covering boards lol

2 mins ago, makorider said:

or many gunnells and covering boards lol

So it's kinda irrelevant to the OPs question about Scottys and stripers then.