Sandflee

Climbing rose bush

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For the gardeners, 

 

Need to trim this down “climbing rose bush” but it’s just starting to bud, too late or still good to prune it? 

 

 

DF37DAC1-624C-484D-90D1-48F22C219732.jpeg

00EAE178-9EDA-4841-8C6C-F66119DFE454.jpeg

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've cut them back while in full bloom and they have done fine.  You will just have less flowers this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Suebert2 said:

I've cut them back while in full bloom and they have done fine.  You will just have less flowers this year.

 

Agreed

i think the less flowers in total because you’ve taken part of the plant but I think the remainder in proportion will be just what it should be....looking at your mature plant, it shouldn’t be noticeable. Be sure to cut out all dead canes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, MarkG said:

Agreed

i think the less flowers in total because you’ve taken part of the plant but I think the remainder in proportion will be just what it should be....looking at your mature plant, it shouldn’t be noticeable. Be sure to cut out all dead canes.

 

Partially because you taken part of the plant but also because it tends to go into shock a little and the growth rates slows a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Suebert2 said:

 

Partially because you taken part of the plant but also because it tends to go into shock a little and the growth rates slows a bit.

Agreed...I think only if you take too much tho’.

I believe no more than 1/3 is recommended....but a light trim should be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice siding , to bad they didn't use individual corners instead of solid posts. It would have looked so much better , but then again they'd have to make sure the corners lined up. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

This thing blooms like crazy, too bad it’s short lived 

 

 

19E37AC6-10FB-443C-84B4-0B22DD7DDB58.jpeg

DDAF0B8E-6D69-44FD-AA07-A2745C03AD21.jpeg

Looks like a nice healthy New Dawn, I usually prune when the forsythia is just ready to crack , can do earlier but a late freeze might cause some die back resulting in the need to cut out the newly dead bits. Feed the hell out of it once a month with rose tone scratched in , molds if left in piles, first feed end of April , last one in August. Later than that and a lot of the new growth will still be soft for first frost. Let it harden off for less winter kill. 

2B7D3BDA-2AC1-41BD-964F-D6CED64E1197.jpeg

55F90BF4-33C2-4566-8FB2-490E828C063C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you dead head thoroughly New dawns will throw another solid bloom in mid September, especially if you keep some of the new really vigorous canes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.