notime

Thoughts? The Fly Fishing show virtual classes

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Regarding the virtual classes offered, sent the link to couple of fly fisher friends who I thought might be interested.   The response I got was "$90?   Too steep for me".   These guys do well, so it's a question of value to them.   I checked and the prices are $90 per class.  This did seem high for a virtual event.    I can't remember what they charged for the live stuff two years ago but I don't remember ever spending close to $90 on anything and I attended several of the seminars/shows.    I'd love to "attend" and support the show as I'm sure it's been a tough two years for the show and the presenters, but at $90 per class....     Anyway, it got me to wondering if I'm off base.   So wanted to get your thoughts.     

A lot will depend on how prepared the presenters are for the digital format.  My wife teaches stage combat, violence for film, theater, and television actors.  Imagine trying to figure out how to teach a physical skill where a partner is involved and usually quite inside the social distancing bubble, it was tough and took a couple months of trial and error but they have it pretty well worked out.  The biggest issue was that the camera reverses the image, or at leas some of them do, so students were being told to parry a cut to the left flank, but the image looked like the right flank to them.  So have these presenters worked all that out?  Especially the casting classes.  How does that work?  Unless you are going to be outside and casting with the instructor how can they see your cast to correct problems? I have no problem paying $90 an hour for personal instruction with a professional, but I'd have trouble putting that down for digital.

On the other hand,  I have gone out of my way in this pandemic to tip generously if I've needed delivery service, and try to help out other's who haven't had it so good.  I think this time around it's not really about if it's worth it, but if you can afford to help others out.

Some people get a lot out of virtual training while for others it's not that effective. I've seen people advertising online mountain bike skills classes for example; not sure I'm going to huck my meat off an 8' drop based on something I saw online. I've done a few online guitar master classes as well and they were OK but there is a lot less physicality involved. I can't think of anything in fly fishing that to me would be worthwhile in an online format though.

To some $ 90 bucks is nothing , it could be good and could be worthless. I’m sure you can’t record it for future review like a DVD , then I’ll pass . 

I watched the ones Bear's Den had last year - they were free and live.  Compared to the average youtube vide,  I'd have to say they were about the same...worst part about them were the questions from viewers - they added almost nothing and slowed the presentation down.

Smaller group with money on the line might help...might...

To me to charge a single cent is outrageous. But maybe it works differently in the US. 

In the Uk you pay typically  $15 for entry to the fly fair. All the talks are free. I suspect that the fair organisor pays a flat fee to the speaker. $90 per person. Got to be having a huge laugh. I do not t know of a single guy who would pay that over here. I have found that Americans typically highly value their hourly rate and then wonder  why they find it hard to compete. Can’t recall a single talk where I would have valued it at that price . I have a suspicion that you are also asked to pay a lot more for casting instruction than what we pay. For an hours tuition it costs for a well qualified a Instructor around $45 to $55 an hour one to one. What is the going rate your side of the pond.

Mike

I go to the show every year. For the ticket price I get to see loads of the best tiers doing their best work. I’m not very good but I learn something from each one I watch. Listening to the presenters I learn a lot. I’ve gained a mountain of info for the price of a admission, and I have a nice day on a day I probably wouldn’t fish anyway. From what I’ve heard for $90.00 I get to see a video. I could spend the $90.00 on something useful. I’ll pass.