bartlask

Help with loading kayak on Rav4 by myself?

38 posts in this topic

As the title says just purchased a new RAV4 and can't figure out the best kayak rack system for me to load the yak on by myself. Between the height, the rear plastic flair in the back and the antenna I'm kind of stumped. What do you guys use?? Thanks for your inputs.

I have a Honda CR-V and I placed Thule bars on the roof and load my Topwater 120 PDL using Rhino Rack Universal Side Loader Rack for Kayaks/Canoes.  It avoids smashing the antenna and plastic spoiler on the roof since you load the kayak from the side and not the back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yakima has this. I have been eyeballing for a future purchase. Cost's about $100 if you already have the cross3_2cc5c3fb-0444-4385-aa18-1e5990002359_1296x.jpg.b6f5f04c0c402c251f852c26d4b02c3c.jpgbars

It's called the- Yakima BoatLoader EVO Telescoping Load Assist - 28" Extension

Edited by triumph

10 mins ago, triumph said:

Yakima has this. I have been eyeballing for a future purchase. Cost's about $100 if you already have the cross3_2cc5c3fb-0444-4385-aa18-1e5990002359_1296x.jpg.b6f5f04c0c402c251f852c26d4b02c3c.jpgbars

It's called the- Yakima BoatLoader EVO Telescoping Load Assist - 28" Extension

I use a DIY version of that for my canoe and heavier kayaks. A 1/2" steel gas pipe fits perfectly inside Yakima crossbars.  This video below shows how to use it. A steel pipe doesn't need an assist pole like this, but I like this vid for obvious reasons.

The best and cheapest help to loading a heavy kayak yourself is an old blanket. Poke a hole in each of the 4 corners, now tie maybe 2 feet of rope to each corner. Tie 2 of the corners to your front rack, then lay the blanket over your windshield and your hood. Now find  a spot somewhere under the car about where front lights are, give or take and tie off the other 2 corners.

Now solo kayak warrior that you are ,you can place the nose of your boat on the hood of your car, never having to move much weight because the back will still be on the ground. Then carefully slide the boat right up your windshield , when its a good ways up open your car door and stand on the ledge  and grab the front of the boat and slide it all the way on the rack. This is a great way to be kind to your back. Enjoy.

50 mins ago, NewAtIt said:

There’s plenty of YouTube videos out there on this subject - watch a few and see what method works best for you. 

Lol....after a while the nice paint on that mini Cooper? Gone.  Back problems down the road. She should atleast throw a strap between the bars and protect the paint.

35 mins ago, gellfex said:

I use a DIY version of that for my canoe and heavier kayaks. A 1/2" steel gas pipe fits perfectly inside Yakima crossbars.  This video below shows how to use it. A steel pipe doesn't need an assist pole like this, but I like this vid for obvious reasons.

Thats a good method....but protect the paint.

You have sand on your kayak and it hits the paint?  Scratches.

38 mins ago, triumph said:

Here's how hott babes load them!

Best method for what it is. 

I use the Malone load-assisted roller suctioned on top of the windshield in the back.  Works like a charm.  Keeps the kayak off the car paint and roller makes it easy to push an 85-lb Hobie Outback to the roof the car. 

As a side note, those short rooftop antennae are often threaded and easily removed. I never listen to the car radio anyway, so I always removed my antenna for kayak season. One less thing to worry about or break.