RAW

Sturgeon,who when where?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

In Minnesota we have have two different locations were the season is short and the preferred bait is a big ball of Night crawlers. Limit of one per calendar year. Find a deep hole or channel in the river and hope the big cats aren’t hungry.

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

They are around, Ive seen a couple dead ones on the beaches and have seen one snagged here in the Raritan. Definitely a fish that you'll prob only ever get to see alive probably once because the numbers are just so low 

Go take a tour of the bonneville dam you’ll definitely see one in the fish ladder. They have a tendacy to live in the dams.It’s a thing they do the go from the dalles dam to bonnivle dam. 

thats where I saw the biggest surgeon in person they estimated it to be 16 foot long and arount 1800 pounds

Fifty years ago we use to catch some every summer in the floating fish traps off Narragansett.  Like no other fish in texture that I ever had; it is a real thick texture meat.

On 3/10/2021 at 4:52 PM, 7 Rivers said:

My buddy lives on that river, I am not far from it. He had one at night, in his kayak, jump and hit the front of his kayak and nearly tipped him over. Needless to say, he doesn't fish much in the yak anymore at night. There has  been some  that come out of the water when boat traffic is going by, one case where a big one cleaned out a guys console on his boat.

I snagged one by the tail on a Kast master, about 6 foot long. Took 20 minutes or so to get it in by the tail, I passed my rod to my buddy so I could unhook it, and as soon as I put my hand on its belly, it flipped its tail and the kast master went by my head, nearly getting me. Amazing strength they have. There is another river near the Bangor area where I am from originally that has a lot of them as well. More of them in Maine than you think, and big. About 9 foot is the biggest I ever saw. I did see a hot chick on a paddleboard a couple summers back, we were fishing, anchored near shore, and she was paddling by in her kini and as we watched her, about an 8 footer came out of the water, behind her, and the splash is what got her attention as she thought it  probably was a shark. She paddled like hell to get out of there,  I have seen over 50 in an outing before.

Here is that pic of the one I snagged by the tail.  Amazes me after 20 minutes or so, that the hook stayed in the tail, but as soon as i touched her, the kastmaster went flying and away she went. Hard to believe it came in backwards...

01-02-2014 11;31;13AM.JPG

5 hours ago, ManInCharge247 said:

Where is the closest legal place to target sturgeon coming from cape cod?

Lake sturgeon, maybe one of the midwestern states--Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan--some or all of which have limited seasons.

White sturgeon, the Columbia River, out of either Oregon or Washington (I stayed in Oregon City, outside of Portland).

Green sturgeon, the Pacific Northwest.

Atlantic sturgeon and shovelnose sturgeon, nowhere in the United States, as they are protected by the Endangered Species Act.

Gulf sturgeion, not sure, but I think that they are ESA-listed and off limits, too.

One of the first times I ever went saltwater fishing at around 14-15 years old me and a buddy chased a report from his neighbor down to the end of his street in search of a striper comparable to the mid 40 incher we had been shown earlier in the day. Given that we were both more familiar with fishing for largemouth we failed to consider the tide factor. Ended up getting soaked wading through the eel grass on the way to the river edge, breaking my phone and if I recall correctly even losing a boot. we soaked sandworms for a while before my buddy urged me to go set the hook, "theres a fish on there!" I disagreed and for the next few minutes watched as the tip of my rod twitched in what I assumed was light current. Next time I reeled up I felt weight on the line and dragged in a sturgeon around three feet long. I am no sure what to attribute to the lack of fight, not a single run or even head shake I can remember. Maybe didn't know she was hooked? That was when there was no circle hook regulation, luckily the j hook wound up right in the corner of that weird slinky mouth and with some elbow grease popped right out.

When I was a kid, My neighbors in my old neighborhood use to tell me stories of them hooking and seeing big sturgeons caught in the river where i use to live. I thought they were just telling me BS fish stories until 10 years ago my buddy told me he seen a huge sturgeon jump out of the water late at night. They get really big! 

4 hours ago, Blank Disc said:

I usually see one or two dead ones washed up on the beach each year in Long Island. 

Gillnetters usually kill a few that accidentally get wrapped up in the mesh.  Trawlers kill a few, too.  From what I understand, the worst bycatch mortality probably comes from the large-mesh monkfish gillnets, which are set deep enough that most of the dead fish won't make it to shore.

I kinow that the DEC has to spend quite a bit of money and effort to obtain federal permits that, because of the ESA listing, are required to let those fisheries continue with an incidental take of sturgeon.

6 hours ago, CWitek said:

Gillnetters usually kill a few that accidentally get wrapped up in the mesh.  Trawlers kill a few, too.  From what I understand, the worst bycatch mortality probably comes from the large-mesh monkfish gillnets, which are set deep enough that most of the dead fish won't make it to shore.

I kinow that the DEC has to spend quite a bit of money and effort to obtain federal permits that, because of the ESA listing, are required to let those fisheries continue with an incidental take of sturgeon.

Yeah I believe it. I usually see them when there are piles of large dogfish on the beach.