Sturgeon,who when where?

Rate this topic

RAW

24 mins ago, JosephTree said:

Like you, I hooked one in front of the Fairmount Dam (on the Schuylkill River in the heart of Philly) while shad fishing. My flutter spoon snagged on its back about 15' in front of me. It turned away and headed across the river.  My 6# test line wasn't up to the job of stopping or even slowing it down.

Did you see it? How big was it?

8 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Did you see it? How big was it?

Yes, but not well enough to give even a WAG estimate of its length. It was just a knuckle of water and fish, with the scalloped back dorsal clearly enough visible that I knew what it was.  I remember that it didn't panic in the least. It just headed over toward the Art Museum like a train moseying across the rail yard.  BTW, the Schuylkill can be a fine Shad fishery, if that sort of thing interests you.

Edited by JosephTree
Spelling

I saw a huge one like 7 or 8 years back at Jones beach. Guy was casting conventional gear tossing a 7oz jig and slowly dragging it back. This gentleman was fishing the south shore Long Island a lot that year I can’t remember seeing him since.  This sturgeon was a good 8 foot it was very impressive. 

There's a long jetty in Maine, a town south of where they feed french fries to the stripers off the pier, where one can see plenty of jumpers. Well, the Canadian tourists often walk out on the jetty and use the wrong gear. One such lady was flinging a Rapala for stripers with a rod/reel I would use for stocked trout. This would have been a good set-up for the mackerel that frequent the area, but she snagged a sturgeon. This drew a crowd of seasoned veterans that advised her to tighten her drag and/or 'play the fish.' With 20 people offering suggestions, she grew nervous and tried to hand the rod to her partner. He pretended to either not know her or hear her. There was a slight 'ping' noise once she was spooled and the 10lb mono broke.

I’m actually getting ready to participate in a Sturgeon project (hopefully) this summer for my student worker job here at LSU. Hope to gain a lot of knowledge about them and their conservation. 

Ive never caught one, but a gentleman just caught this in Alabama. This is a Gulf Sturgeon I believe, a sub species of the Atlantic. 

347D665D-9FA5-4C42-B837-CC0B52CAF315.png

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

7 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

I went out to Oregon to the Columbia river a few years ago for some sturgeon fishing.  Caught a few with the biggest being close to 10 foot long. Amazing hard fighting fish.  I was up at Cayuga lake 2 years ago and tried for them with no success. I did see a few jumping every morning 4 footers

Same here- fished two days and at the end of that didnt want squat to do with one again for years. man they can pull in big current!

1 hour ago, JosephTree said:

Yes, but not well enough to give even a WAG estimate of its length. It was just a knuckle of water and fish, with the scalloped back dorsal clearly enough visible that I knew what it was.  I remember that it didn't panic in the least. It just headed over toward the Art Museum like a train moseying across the rail yard.  BTW, the Schuylkill can be a fine Shad fishery, if that sort of thing interests you.

That very cool! i fish that area a lot and would love to see a sturgeon. I have seen some cool things there but never a sturgeon.   I have to give the shad fishing a shot. I usually fish there for Flatheads, snakeheads, stripers and walleye etc.  

10 mins ago, Mr T said:

Same here- fished two days and at the end of that didnt want squat to do with one again for years. man they can pull in big current!

My brother was on the charter with me and was done catching by lunch. It took about 2 hours to get the 10 footer to the side of the boat and I still have a few videos of it jumping out of the water. Amazing creatures. Its a shame they are in so much trouble on the east coast. 

53 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

There's a long jetty in Maine, a town south of where they feed french fries to the stripers off the pier, where one can see plenty of jumpers. Well, the Canadian tourists often walk out on the jetty and use the wrong gear. One such lady was flinging a Rapala for stripers with a rod/reel I would use for stocked trout. This would have been a good set-up for the mackerel that frequent the area, but she snagged a sturgeon. This drew a crowd of seasoned veterans that advised her to tighten her drag and/or 'play the fish.' With 20 people offering suggestions, she grew nervous and tried to hand the rod to her partner. He pretended to either not know her or hear her. There was a slight 'ping' noise once she was spooled and the 10lb mono broke.

My buddy lives on that river, I am not far from it. He had one at night, in his kayak, jump and hit the front of his kayak and nearly tipped him over. Needless to say, he doesn't fish much in the yak anymore at night. There has  been some  that come out of the water when boat traffic is going by, one case where a big one cleaned out a guys console on his boat.

I snagged one by the tail on a Kast master, about 6 foot long. Took 20 minutes or so to get it in by the tail, I passed my rod to my buddy so I could unhook it, and as soon as I put my hand on its belly, it flipped its tail and the kast master went by my head, nearly getting me. Amazing strength they have. There is another river near the Bangor area where I am from originally that has a lot of them as well. More of them in Maine than you think, and big. About 9 foot is the biggest I ever saw. I did see a hot chick on a paddleboard a couple summers back, we were fishing, anchored near shore, and she was paddling by in her kini and as we watched her, about an 8 footer came out of the water, behind her, and the splash is what got her attention as she thought it  probably was a shark. She paddled like hell to get out of there,  I have seen over 50 in an outing before.

The 'big river' near the northern border of Massachusetts gets it's fair share of sturgeon activity...However, even though I see enough of them jumping around here and there, there was one particular year (maybe 2 or 3 years ago) where I saw a fairly significant number of them caught/landed (they were released, but for some of the guys who landed them, they had to be told that sturgeon illegal to possess before they were released)

For myself, when I fish there, I'm fishing for schoolie bass and american shad with anywhere from a 7 yo 9 weight fly rod, and don't want anything to do with accidentally snagging one (probably would lose a fly line if I didn't pinch down soon enough to break the leader)

10 hours ago, RAW said:

There's a few outflows I fish that have had them for 30 yrs. Last year the most I have seen ever.

I am local to there, I will usually drift one of the outflows and a big sturgeon jumped about 10-15ft from the boat. I will second that, it is the most sturgeon action I have seen all around souther main. I think more times than not I would see a sturgeon breach while fishing. 

Edited by coldwaterfly

22 mins ago, albacized said:

The 'big river' near the northern border of Massachusetts gets it's fair share of sturgeon activity...However, even though I see enough of them jumping around here and there, there was one particular year (maybe 2 or 3 years ago) where I saw a fairly significant number of them caught/landed (they were released, but for some of the guys who landed them, they had to be told that sturgeon illegal to possess before they were released)

For myself, when I fish there, I'm fishing for schoolie bass and american shad with anywhere from a 7 yo 9 weight fly rod, and don't want anything to do with accidentally snagging one (probably would lose a fly line if I didn't pinch down soon enough to break the leader)

I know where you are speaking of. 
Bought a new light rod/reel to chase schoolies and wound up fighting this one. Kept it in the water and released as quickly as possible. 

2AABC52A-0FF0-4917-8270-77A0B3FF96AD.jpeg