RAW

Sturgeon,who when where?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

There's a few outflows I fish that have had them for 30 yrs. Last year the most I have seen ever. When standing on a flat and they launch out of the water it's scary if close, especially at night. A few years ago with all the shark talk here in Maine the "Old Guys " were on the water under moonlight at 2am, gorgeous with sand eels glistening all around in 2' of water. We saw 2 sets of fins coming our way, As we backed up the sturgeon  cruised by and dropped into the channel. They do have a shark like tail. I've numerous hooked, few landed. One I pictured for 78 yr old buddy was about 40" and amazing up close. Most that launch out out the water are about 3' long. Never seen one actually hooked in the mouth, most are foul hooked on soft baits.? 

I snagged 1 years ago while Shad fishing below New Hope Pa. Have seen a few snagged by others. They are protected here and all were returned to the river. They are neat looking. I don’t think I have seen any hooked in the mouth. It’s been many years since I saw them.

My wife and I each hooked one in LIS off mouth of a river like 20years ago. 

Both 2-3ft long. Thought they were dogfish at 1st in the dark.  

Bait was clams or sandworms.  Can't recall.  Both hooked in the mouth and within a hour of each other. 

I was running a chumblock of mixed fish scraps that I blendered.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

I went out to Oregon to the Columbia river a few years ago for some sturgeon fishing.  Caught a few with the biggest being close to 10 foot long. Amazing hard fighting fish.  I was up at Cayuga lake 2 years ago and tried for them with no success. I did see a few jumping every morning 4 footers

At one time I believe the Hudson river had surgeon ....some old time river fisherman would always claim their nets are ripped up by something ....sturgeon,sharks,seals?.....another old timer  mentioned sturgeon in northern moco two years ago

1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

I went out to Oregon to the Columbia river a few years ago for some sturgeon fishing.  Caught a few with the biggest being close to 10 foot long. Amazing hard fighting fish.  I was up at Cayuga lake 2 years ago and tried for them with no success. I did see a few jumping every morning 4 footers

I fished white sturgeon in the Columbia, a ways beloe Bonneville Dam, as well.  Reminded me of nothing so much as shark fishing, but in fresh water.

Probably shouldn't admit to trying to catch lake sturgeon in New York; the DEC doesn't approve, given that the fish are listed as "threatened."  The definition of "taking" a fish in New York doesn't just mean harvest, but all of the lesser activities, including trying to catch (and presumably release) one on fishing gear.  In the case of New York lake sturgeon, such targeting is illegal.

1 hour ago, Surf bomber said:

At one time I believe the Hudson river had surgeon ....some old time river fisherman would always claim their nets are ripped up by something ....sturgeon,sharks,seals?.....another old timer  mentioned sturgeon in northern moco two years ago

There is a pretty good population of Atlantic sturgeon, as well as shovelnose sturgeon, in the Hudson.  Both are listed under the federal (and state) Endangered Species Act, so they can't be targeted, but they're there.  The Hudson has one of the healthier Atlantic sturgeon populations in the Mid-Atlantic.

3 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

T y for the info...much appreciated....

There were a number of Atlantic sturgeon found dead with propeller wounds from workboats during the construction of the new Tappan Zee Bridge.

1 hour ago, Surf bomber said:

They are around, Ive seen a couple dead ones on the beaches and have seen one snagged here in the Raritan. Definitely a fish that you'll prob only ever get to see alive probably once because the numbers are just so low 

45 mins ago, ACFishing said:

They are around, Ive seen a couple dead ones on the beaches and have seen one snagged here in the Raritan. Definitely a fish that you'll prob only ever get to see alive probably once because the numbers are just so low 

maine is filthy with them

Never caught a sturgeon but I have seen them jumping in the Hudson.

I think the population has rebounded pretty well in the Hudson.

Particularly since they stopped allowing commercial fisherman to set their shad nets.

The striper and sturgeon bycatch in those shad nets was terrible.

I had the opportunity to eat some Atlantic sturgeon way back before they were listed.  There was a small gill net fishery that processed meat and caviar for local sales.  The steaks are very firm.  Not flaky, but sort of rubbery.  Tastes OK but the texture is not great.  However, the smoked sturgeon may have been the best thing I have ever eaten.

Saw some YT video a while back of sturgeon fishing from a kayak skinny FW creeks out west for monsters. This isn't the same one, but you get the idea...

6 hours ago, tristate said:

I snagged 1 years ago while Shad fishing below New Hope Pa. Have seen a few snagged by others. They are protected here and all were returned to the river. They are neat looking. I don’t think I have seen any hooked in the mouth. It’s been many years since I saw them.

Like you, I hooked one in front of the Fairmount Dam (on the Schuylkill River in the heart of Philly) while shad fishing. My flutter spoon snagged on its back about 15' in front of me. It turned away and headed across the river.  My 6# test line wasn't up to the job of stopping or even slowing it down.