ManInCharge247

Which epoxy for wood lures?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

There’s no “best” finish.  All depends on wood, sealer, primer, paint, and many other things that go into building a plug.  Envirotex Lite is a good start.

I use Parks Table Top from the big box store. I'm happy with it. It plays nice with the Rustoleum spray paint cans I paint with. I do wash my plugs before epoxy top coat. Adhesion is just as important as epoxy quality. If the world's glossiest, highest build, best quality epoxy doesn't adhere well (you'll know by 'orange-peel', fisheyes, holidays, etc) you might as well have used a dip in polyurethane as a top coat. 

22 hours ago, ManInCharge247 said:

Thanks fellas

It might be worth visiting the Systems Three Epoxy webiste....I have been using their Systems Three clear coat for many, many years & so far it is my favorite...

it very well could be...But it needs a lot of heat...out east the temps are cold unless you have a well heated shop or plastic totes with light bulbs inside to keep it toasty...cold basements won't work.

4 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

It might be worth visiting the Systems Three Epoxy webiste....I have been using their Systems Three clear coat for many, many years & so far it is my favorite...

I’m with Mike. Been using it for many years. 

17 hours ago, Bob C. said:

What did Bill Couch use, his plugs are like glass.

Just a guess, but maybe E-Tex.  Looks like two coats.

I just did a new transom for my tin boat (old one was PT).  I used marine plywood and coated it with West System.  Temp was 45 degrees in my garage and I wasn't careful as I just wanted it coated.  Dry time using the 205 harder was 8 hours and it was hard as a rock.

They have 3 different hardeners and I used the 205 which they say is the fast one (better in low temps).

If I was building lures I would seriously try this.  If you do try it buy the pumps. It makes measuring fool proof.

60639ef550f78_IMG_04232.jpeg.ab6d3a0cdf4e835e380e256a35a7dfdb.jpeg

32 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

I just did a new transom for my tin boat (old one was PT).  I used marine plywood and coated it with West System.  Temp was 45 degrees in my garage and I wasn't careful as I just wanted it coated.  Dry time using the 205 harder was 8 hours and it was hard as a rock.

They have 3 different hardeners and I used the 205 which they say is the fast one (better in low temps).

If I was building lures I would seriously try this.  If you do try it buy the pumps. It makes measuring fool proof.

60639ef550f78_IMG_04232.jpeg.ab6d3a0cdf4e835e380e256a35a7dfdb.jpeg

Love this stuff. It's what I was using before auto clear. But they have 207 Special Clear that you will need to get.

West Systems has been making great epoxy for a long time and is used widely for wooden boats.  But be warned as it will yellow rapidly when exposed to UV, especially the 205 hardener as it has zero UV protection, the 207 does have UV inhibiters but will also yellow over time as stated in the specs. Manufacturer recommends a top coat of paint so not really a good choice for clear coat.

6 hours ago, copycat said:

West Systems has been making great epoxy for a long time and is used widely for wooden boats.  But be warned as it will yellow rapidly when exposed to UV, especially the 205 hardener as it has zero UV protection, the 207 does have UV inhibiters but will also yellow over time as stated in the specs. Manufacturer recommends a top coat of paint so not really a good choice for clear coat.

Well that answers that.  Oh well

On 3/11/2021 at 4:35 PM, Mike Fixter said:

Same here

Mike is a bum.......

Posted (edited) · Report post

If your new to building an/or epoxy work I'd go with a simple effective product.  Envirotex lite is a 1:1 slow cure thin flowing epoxy that's the simplest to mix and apply.  I personaly like to establish a thicker shell of epoxy around my wood bodies however that takes additional steps.  

With envirotex simply mix the amount you feel you need, apply with an acid brush or gloved hand (my choice) and once fully flooded, whipped clean for a clean sealed finish and left to hang and cure.  

I have no experience with systems three but have herd some issues with it's temperament.  Iv used marine guard 8000 in recent years after graduating from etex and love the durability of this stuff however it does require larger batches, vigorous mixing and accurate proportions.  

Edited by DeepBlue85