ManInCharge247

Stella vs Saltiga

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2021 at 5:40 PM, ged said:

I never had either, but I never had them service my reels before :)

I have read enough service issue threads to be worried. Shimano Platinum service is the best. $30 and like new.  

Seems that is evolving, but not talked about. Bout to sent in an Exist and a few 15 Saltigas so will report back. 

3 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Seems that is evolving, but not talked about. Bout to sent in an Exist and a few 15 Saltigas so will report back. 

with my 15 saltigas I was always charged 60$ plus price of parts. not too bad but when the total service cost is 150$ it does suck. turnaround time is anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, shipped from California to Florida 

I actually believe it was @dennysnook who posted a page from Daiwa US site regarding a "shimano style" service for the 2020 Saltigas. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it on their mobile site anymore but it was there. 

12 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Bout to sent in an Exist and a few 15 Saltigas so will report back. 

Let us know if Daiwa keeps to the 1 day turnaround on the Exist!

exist warranty.jpg

On a side note. when I dealt with Daiwa's service in regards to two reels I sent in last year. My saltist needed parts that were going to take a couple months until they could service it(probably due to covid). They would not service and send my 2015 Saltiga back to me. I offered to pay the shipping cost but they still denied it. "Said if they came in together they have to be serviced together". Thought that was kind of silly so I got a Stella afterwards. Love both reels though. 

To settle any remaining doubts, all 2020 Daiwa Saltiga models designated for the US market are covered by a 5 year free clean/parts replacement/full service program from the date of purchase with the only cost being the shipping to Daiwa's service center as per the screenshot posted by @jk20a3This is a totally new policy that none of the the previous generation Saltiga spinning reels were or are currently covered by. This policy entails a reasonable though technically "unlimited" number of services per year with replacement of typical high-wear parts (bearings, gears, (mag-)seals, etc) without charge. I don't believe this covers damage due to excessive corrosion or obvious negligence/abuse, so if you back the truck over the reel, the cost of repair will likely be on you. Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

The Exist LT comes with the same service policy extended for the life of the reel as well as 1-day turnaround time. 

No other Daiwa spinning reels to my knowledge---the Certate LT or recently-announced Certate SW, Saltist, BG MQ, and probably not even the JDM 2020 Saltiga models (at least not without exorbitant shipping charges to Japan since they cannot be serviced at Daiwa's US service centers)---are covered by this free service policy. 

I don't have nearly the same amount of experience with Shimano's service/warranty policies, but I believe that information is readily accessible via Shimano's website. I know that many have favored Shimano's flagship reels like the Stella SW & FJ over their Daiwa counterparts in the past for lower service costs thanks to the Platinum service program, but I'm not sure of the particulars. I can certainly say, having shipped out a lot of customers' reels for service, I've yet to meet anybody disappointed with the service of their 2020 Daiwa Saltigas or '08/'13/'19/'20 Shimano Stellas. Nonetheless, I'll soon be picking up a 2020 Saltiga 20k for tuna casting. IMO, free service from Daiwa vs $30 minimum with the Platinum program as well as the many upgrades in the 2020 Saltiga with no complaints that I've heard in its first season make it no-brainer for me. 

Would be more than happy to answer any other questions if I can. I wish Daiwa made the 2020 Saltiga service policy more transparent online; they're not doing themselves any favors by keeping one of the best features of their new flagship SW spinning reel in the shadows.  

Someone here recently speculated that Stella's and Saltiga's were used at the canal for fashion pieces. Haha.

"Apropos of the Torque spinning reel, I haven't found a worthwhile review of the second generation yet. For the surf set, VS and ZB seem to have totally pre-empted the attention span of the skishing set (real and imagined) and the Stella and Saltiga own the CCC set. I suspect it has more to do with fashion than the reels themselves."

I would take the Saltiga over the Stella but I don't think you can go wrong with either. I bought my first Saltiga in 2008 and I have been jigging the canal with it since. All those years (and fish) and I have never had it serviced. I suspect the new Saltiga is at least equally durable.

I had some buddies making some trips out hunting for sharks on plugs and bait in the surf and they had nothing but good things to say about the Saltiga. Im definitely giving it a look in the near future

16 hours ago, DanTheBassMan said:

To settle any remaining doubts, all 2020 Daiwa Saltiga models designated for the US market are covered by a 5 year free clean/parts replacement/full service program from the date of purchase with the only cost being the shipping to Daiwa's service center as per the screenshot posted by @jk20a3This is a totally new policy that none of the the previous generation Saltiga spinning reels were or are currently covered by. This policy entails a reasonable though technically "unlimited" number of services per year with replacement of typical high-wear parts (bearings, gears, (mag-)seals, etc) without charge. I don't believe this covers damage due to excessive corrosion or obvious negligence/abuse, so if you back the truck over the reel, the cost of repair will likely be on you. Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

The Exist LT comes with the same service policy extended for the life of the reel as well as 1-day turnaround time. 

No other Daiwa spinning reels to my knowledge---the Certate LT or recently-announced Certate SW, Saltist, BG MQ, and probably not even the JDM 2020 Saltiga models (at least not without exorbitant shipping charges to Japan since they cannot be serviced at Daiwa's US service centers)---are covered by this free service policy. 

I don't have nearly the same amount of experience with Shimano's service/warranty policies, but I believe that information is readily accessible via Shimano's website. I know that many have favored Shimano's flagship reels like the Stella SW & FJ over their Daiwa counterparts in the past for lower service costs thanks to the Platinum service program, but I'm not sure of the particulars. I can certainly say, having shipped out a lot of customers' reels for service, I've yet to meet anybody disappointed with the service of their 2020 Daiwa Saltigas or '08/'13/'19/'20 Shimano Stellas. Nonetheless, I'll soon be picking up a 2020 Saltiga 20k for tuna casting. IMO, free service from Daiwa vs $30 minimum with the Platinum program as well as the many upgrades in the 2020 Saltiga with no complaints that I've heard in its first season make it no-brainer for me. 

Would be more than happy to answer any other questions if I can. I wish Daiwa made the 2020 Saltiga service policy more transparent online; they're not doing themselves any favors by keeping one of the best features of their new flagship SW spinning reel in the shadows.  

Man I'm sad to hear about the JDM 2020 Saltiga not being covered. I saw it for $870 on Digitaka and was so ready to pull the trigger on the 14000XH, but I might wait until I get a clearer picture of servicing costs

11 hours ago, GTs_and_Stripers said:

Man I'm sad to hear about the JDM 2020 Saltiga not being covered. I saw it for $870 on Digitaka and was so ready to pull the trigger on the 14000XH, but I might wait until I get a clearer picture of servicing costs

I checked in today and confirmed that none of the JDM 2020 Saltiga models are covered by the aforementioned 5 year free-service policy. That's only offered through Daiwa's service centers in the US, none of which are authorized or likely even have core components for JDM models. 

I would definitely confirm this with Digitaka if possible before purchasing, but since the 14000-XH is a US model of the 2020 Saltiga, it should be covered by the 5 year service program even if bought from an overseas dealer. If you're located in the US, I would obviously advocate for supporting domestic retailers, but that's entirely your prerogative. 

Also, just to clarify, the following are all the US models of the 2020 Saltiga that are covered by 5 year free service program:

8000-H

10000-H

14000-XH

18000-H

20000-H

And all the following are the JDM models that are not covered by that policy:

8000-P

10000-P

14000-P

18000-P