Jimo95

Reason I tipped?

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I was kayaking today in southern Jersey in a river.  I was in a 12 ft 2011 Native Marvel.  There was not a lot of current and the wind was between 10-15 mph.  I was facing shore and the wind was coming from left to right with what I considered not big waves at all.  I put my anchor in since I wanted to be stationary.  So the anchor line was right about at the middle of the kayak and the line was out to my left, not under the boat.  It was not an anchor trolley- just a rope and a dumbbell tied to a cleat.  All of a sudden i got tipped out and over.  I ended up getting picked up by some boaters who were not too far away, so I made it unscathed.  I lost 2 rods, 2 reels, and my glasses, but they’re replaceable.  My question is, did anchoring the way I did make it worse for me, and do you think I would of tipped over if i wasn’t anchored but the waves were still coming from my left.  Would they have just pushed me instead of tipping me?  I am a little hesitant to go again and my wife is definitely against it.  I know i should be facing waves and I always did that when boats would go by, but there were no boats traveling near me when it happened so there was no wake.

Edited by Jimo95

Unlucky ... assuming you tipped over to the left? The anchor would have been constantly putting a pulling pressure down on the left side of the yak (possibly even without you realizing) and you were compensating by leaning a little right ... so you suddenly shifting/leaning even a little left results in a doubling effect on the roll to the left ... you answered your own question - preferably always face into/away from waves/wind (whichever is stronger) so use an anchor trolley if you have to use an anchor. Cheap lesson in reality :th:

Most of the time when your kayak tips it is related to the location of your head.  It looks like that is a sit inside kayak that you need to know how to brace to use properly? Also you likely need to drag it to shallow water to dump the water out to re-enter  it.  This is not an ideal  fishing kayak for a beginner.  I would consider taking a class on how to brace, self rescue, dress for immersion? Or at least wait until the water warms up so you don’t get hurt? Luckily there was a boater around to help you out.  I saw a guy today paddle boarding in the ocean in shorts. He must be  a very good paddle boarder:)

6 mins ago, Africaster said:

Unlucky ... assuming you tipped over to the left?

No, which is why i am curious.  I tipped over to the right.......

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, Jimo95 said:

No, which is why i am curious.  I tipped over to the right.......

That is very odd ... if anything, you’d expect the anchor on the left to hamper a right hand side roll :headscratch:

Edited by Africaster

Short answer is yes. Get a trolley or something to get your nose in the wind when anchored.

More importantly the water temp in Jersey right now is deadly. A lot can go wrong in a yak. Know you can survive a tip over without help. Whether that’s staying in 3 ft of water, wearing immersion suit, carrying a vhf, or practicing self rescue. Ask yourself once in a while when you’re out there, if I flipped right now what would be my chances of survival? If the answer is not above 99%, you’re taking an unreasonable risk in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Jimo95 said:

So I was kayaking today in southern Jersey in a river.  I was in a 12 ft 2011 Native Marvel.  There was not a lot of current and the wind was between 10-15 mph.  I was facing shore and the wind was coming from left to right with what I considered not big waves at all.  I put my anchor in since I wanted to be stationary.  So the anchor line was right about at the middle of the kayak and the line was out to my left, not under the boat.  It was not an anchor trolley- just a rope and a dumbbell tied to a cleat.  All of a sudden i got tipped out and over.  I ended up getting picked up by some boaters who were not too far away, so I made it unscathed.  I lost 2 rods, 2 reels, and my glasses, but they’re replaceable.  My question is, did anchoring the way I did make it worse for me, and do you think I would of tipped over if i wasn’t anchored but the waves were still coming from my left.  Would they have just pushed me instead of tipping me?  I am a little hesitant to go again and my wife is definitely against it.  I know i should be facing waves and I always did that when boats would go by, but there were no boats traveling near me when it happened so there was no wake.

Jim, sorry that happened to you. Would like to see you get out again.  Is it possible you can fish somewhere else where you do not need to anchor? I don't anchor never had a need. But do not know your choices. 

15 mins ago, connman said:

I would never anchor any boat from the mid point 

Yeah I was going to say, anchoring a kayak in the middle is not a good idea, as you will be turned sideways to the swell/wind/chop. Even without a trolley you can of course run the line through the handle up front and then tie off in the middle.

Always a good idea to practice getting back in yak. Also I have found that anything not leashed will eventually make its way into the water. I once lost a fly rod in this manner.

Count your blessings, and just smile when the wife reminds you of this for years to come!:deadhorse:

Perhaps the port side anchor was held fast, and it suddenly broke free.The stored energy and wind may have popped the yak and yourself to starboard.

I fished from a 12’ Pungo SIK for a number of years - nothing wrong with your kayak. If you hadn’t anchored, you would have been fine, following the contour of the water and balancing yourself naturally. By anchoring at mid point, you put the kayak parallel to the current, without any ability to adjust/balance. This is why I never anchor...

3 hours ago, cheech said:

Count your blessings, and just smile when the wife reminds you of this for years to come!:deadhorse:

Perhaps the port side anchor was held fast, and it suddenly broke free.The stored energy and wind may have popped the yak and yourself to starboard.

^^^this sounds logical.

You subconsciously were probably leaning to the right to compensate for the pull of the anchor on the left, and for some reason that pull to the left stopped and your lean didn't, and over you went.

The most extreme example of this is this: Fishing in the kayak, you hook into either a very big fish or a snag, and you are pulling with the rod held high. Suddenly the line either snaps or breaks free. Your pulling effort will send you backwards and possibly flip.

Also, if the water was flowing from left to right, and you are anchored on the left, the force of the water against the hull will draw the anchor side down. It's more pronounced if you turn sideways in fast moving water (rapids) and hit an obstruction.