theshadow

Removing color preserver on the blank

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm rehabbing a rod and got the butt wrap off with no issues.As far as damaging the blank or original finish on the blank [old honey Lamiglas].Now I have the dried out color preserver ridges on the blank.Looking to find out what is the best method of removing the residue without damaging the original finish.I don't know the brand of preserver used.Alittle guideing would be appreciated.Thanks:howdy:

I usually just sand lightly off the ridges using a manicure fine finishing pad and clean off with isopropyl alcohol.

Posted (edited)

On 3/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, tbush said:

Try a solvent- DNA 1ST, Acetone 2nd, lacquer thinner 3rd.  You could always sand it...

I thought DNA too.But nope.The other 2 also nope! I'm resorting to Al's method.I've slowly scraped with a burnishing/thread packing tool in the past to level off the ridges.But thought to put out the question to see if anyone had a better "solution".

Thank you,tbush for the thought AND Thank you Al for your input too. I was trying to think back to the old Rod Crafter days and came up blank.Putting on preserver was always simple and thought it would come off simple.NOPE!!!!!

Edited by theshadow

This is why I never   understand why many think CP on guides is not substantial enough under epoxy, obviously they never tried to remove some.

Years ago one of my rod building mentors would only put CP on the guide wraps and field test a new rod.  If he was satisfied with the guide placement and performance he would then apply finish.