IFeelfishy

Longboat Key Florida?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

My folks are going down to Longboat Key, Florida for April. They asked if I wanted to stay for a week. I haven't given them an answer yet because well, April is leading into my striper season. I've never been fishing in Florida, so I might make the long drive. I know absolutely nothing about fishing there. If I go, I will be chartering 1-3 trips. But, as I said, I have no idea what is down there or even what could be in season to catch. I don't want to go down there and catch small sea bass (some of the first videos I noticed when searching youtube). I know tarpon and larger grouper are targeted species, but I'm not sure if April is the right time of year to target them. I'm sure there are plenty of snowbirds on here head that way every winter and know exactly what to expect in April. I am reaching out on here because I have 72 hours to give notice to my family to go or not. Thanks for everyone's help! 

Longboat Key is beautiful, but crowded. We stayed there when was in college. The beaches just north of the pass has concrete piers, I fished early am for snook, big jack, The intercoastal is loaded with snook, small tarpon, etc. Aptil is a great month, tarpon migration in full swing. Don't wade out too far as its shark heaven, You can google manatee county shark migration. Anytime you can go somewhere, GO!!!!!

Posted (edited)

April is slightly early for grouper (season opens in May).  Good time for general offshore wreck fishing as the weather starts to get better.

No matter the time of year, you'll be able to find something to chase.

Edited by c7272

Great time of year, snook, tarpon, red fish in shore. There is always a lot going on Offshore Your best bet is to book a good guide, it pays lots of benefits. Weather is top notch then. Good luck,make the trip.