RiverRaider

Ask A Non-Smoker Anything

Rate this topic

137 posts in this topic

.you need to know that no-one is your friend.. they never will. You are on your way but hardly anyone makes the first day so plain on failing. What I did was hang out at the entrance to the 7-eleventy five.  IT seemed like all they wanted was me Paper work.

39 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

I'm down to a pack a day!

I'm no quitter!

good luck bud

Quiet em’ Red  they do nothing for you.. it’s a scam 

The first 2 weeks are the hardest, you just want to do it. I quit 24 years ago. It was strange even 2 years after I quit I would find myself going for my pocket for a cigarette when I was thinking about a problem at work or even up in stand waiting.  Good luck and stick with it. You'll not only save your life but a ton of $ to boot. 

25 mins ago, jerseyhunter said:

The first 2 weeks are the hardest, you just want to do it. I quit 24 years ago. It was strange even 2 years after I quit I would find myself going for my pocket for a cigarette when I was thinking about a problem at work or even up in stand waiting.  Good luck and stick with it. You'll not only save your life but a ton of $ to boot. 

I’m sure I’ll be patting myself down looking for the pack subconsciously for a long time to come 

17 hours ago, RiverRaider said:

I’m sure I’ll be patting myself down looking for the pack subconsciously for a long time to come 

Stopped roughly 40 years ago, but I was nowhere near a pack a day, more like a pack a week.

I stopped because even at that level I noticed my stamina was down and I was getting winded faster (I was very active). Sadly, you will encounter more d-bags than supporters in you attempt.

Usually by the first month you will have a solid grasp on your cravings and will have found your "outlet" for when they hit. Heck, my mother quite after 30+ years, and she was a semi-heavy smoker when she did.

Unfortunately my dad never quit, and that was the main cause of the cancer that took him in 2001.

Also unfortunate is the fact that I have a sister who passed 2 years ago as a direct result of smoking, and there are 2 chain smoking brothers warming up in the on deck circle.

When someone says they are quitting little by little, what they mean is they are killing themselves a little more slowly than before.

Good luck, and keep at it!

5 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Stopped roughly 40 years ago, but I was nowhere near a pack a day, more like a pack a week.

I stopped because even at that level I noticed my stamina was down and I was getting winded faster (I was very active). Sadly, you will encounter more d-bags than supporters in you attempt.

Usually by the first month you will have a solid grasp on your cravings and will have found your "outlet" for when they hit. Heck, my mother quite after 30+ years, and she was a semi-heavy smoker when she did.

Unfortunately my dad never quit, and that was the main cause of the cancer that took him in 2001.

Also unfortunate is the fact that I have a sister who passed 2 years ago as a direct result of smoking, and there are 2 chain smoking brothers warming up in the on deck circle.

When someone says they are quitting little by little, what they mean is they are killing themselves a little more slowly than before.

Good luck, and keep at it!

Pack a week smoker coming in with the knowledge. That’s like 2 a day. 

What were you,12?

Good luck....I quit in august and I still want one every  foooooking day,  It’s not easy.....you have to find your own way to deal with the cravings, for me is a couple of puffs off a doobie. I smoke weed anyway.... the doobie instead of the pipe fills the craving void for me.

If I could smoke 2 a day instead of 40 I’d do it. 
I’m 8 months with zero after 32 years of heavy smoking and trying to quit one time by being hypnotized with some Russian chick I was trying to get with.
It sucks but oh well. 

2 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

Good luck....I quit in august and I still want one every  foooooking day,  It’s not easy.....you have to find your own way to deal with the cravings, for me is a couple of puffs off a doobie. I smoke weed anyway.... the doobie instead of the pipe fills the craving void for me.

Good to see you here big how are you doing?

Back to work yet?

18 hours ago, RiverRaider said:

I’m cautiously optimistic about this... 10 days isn’t a long time, but it’s a record for me :th:

you can do it brother, wishing you nothing but the best. Stay strong and focus.

Just now, Ditchbag said:

Good to see you here big how are you doing?

Back to work yet?

Go back tomorrow..... light duty, can’t thank you enough for the care package.