BrooklynHooks

Best freshwater fighter, pound for pound?

157 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Well, most people catch big cats on heavy tackle with glass rods, it does dull the fight a lot.

Catching a big flathead on a heavy graphite rod and braid changes the experience dramatically.

I have watched enough guys who are smb and wiper fishing hook into what they think is a trophy smb or beast wiper just to pull up an 18in to 20in dink flathead.:laugh:

I say flathead as well.  Hook one while smallie fishing on bass gear and you end up with a lengthy fight.   We have intentionally broken off because it can take a good 30 minutes to get a flatty in and many times they manage to take you into structure 29 minutes into the fight.

They are like a shark in that they are really good at not getting tired

12 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

agree. I used to think smallie's  into I hooked into a few hybrids. they pull like a freight train stuck on wide open throttle. 

i've caught both and although the hybrids are up there they lose points on endurance. once they know they are licked they become fairly timid (my biggest hybrid was only about 6lbs so maybe they are different bigger?)  of course some individual fish are craftier than others same with striped bass from the beach, majority will roll over when they know they are licked but every once in a while one will really surprise you and lunge for that wave when you think are totally played. 

smallmouths don't quit. ever. river, lake or giant reservoir. 

I forgot about flatheads until i read beastly's post. I have only caught 6 in my life when i lived in illinois and they were lots of fun in the river and really knew how to use current to their advantage.

13 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

Hybrid Stripers. No other fish in freshwater even comes close.

Caught a snakehead yet?  Built to be mean.

3 mins ago, Kbetts said:

it's on my list. i've seen a couple videos on their topwater "bite" and looks like they have quite a bit of moxxy

3 hours ago, Kbetts said:

Definitely on my list and I hear they are delicious! I think it’s a different kind of fighter. From what I have seen in videos, it is not so much a drag burning runner but more of a head shaker that just doesn’t quit. I would club the thing over the head before trying to remove the hook!

Bowfin,  hands down.

That said, I have yet to catch a Snakehead which rumor has it are a better fight, pound for pound.  Until then, Bowfin (AKA Swamp Donkey) are beasts.  

Pound for pound?  Bluegills.  Compare a 1lb bluegill to any other 1lb fish - even a 1lb bluefish. I say the bluegill would win. 

Longnose gar. They pull and pull. Once they are close to the surface they jump and tailwalk all over. River gar are my go to species when its 100F in the summer in SC. 

10 hours ago, gigs said:

Longnose gar. They pull and pull. Once they are close to the surface they jump and tailwalk all over. River gar are my go to species when its 100F in the summer in SC. 

I've caught Longnose up to 44 inches, but still think a 25 inch Bowfin puts up a greater fight.  Maybe just me.  At least the Gar are kind of docile once you get hold of them, not so much with the twisting thrashing Bowfin

On 3/17/2021 at 8:17 AM, Paul E said:

Pound for pound?  Bluegills.  Compare a 1lb bluegill to any other 1lb fish - even a 1lb bluefish. I say the bluegill would win. 

The only fish I ever broke a rod on was a blue gill, it was a light set up. I know it was a bluegill because I could see it in the water take a daredevil. This was a light set up, but still, I couldn't believe that a blue gill could pull so hard on a strike. I think the poor guy ripped the hook through his lip.

We have a good variety of hard fighting fish on our lakes. One of my favorites is the laker, the lake trout. These guys will fight all the way including in the boat. They can be usually be caught on any lure that looks like a tiny perch. I wish the lakes were filled with them.