BrooklynHooks

Best freshwater fighter, pound for pound?

157 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Hybrid Stripers. No other fish in freshwater even comes close.

+1 and then brook and smallmouth,,,,,:laugh: but when a fish gets off marlo asks me what do you think it was,,,,,:idea: marlin,,,,:eek: you never know how big it is or what it is till you see it,,,,,,,,:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Hybrid Stripers. No other fish in freshwater even comes close.

agree. I used to think smallie's  into I hooked into a few hybrids. they pull like a freight train stuck on wide open throttle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BrooklynHooks said:

I know. Comparing river fish to pond fish to lake fish is like comparing apples to oranges to carnitas burritos with guac and lots of salsa verde. Or Ali to Boom Boom Mancini to Nurmagomedov. Still, I'm curious: Pound for pound, what do anglers here consider the best (or maybe just the meanest) fighting fish in North America? Pike are downright scary. Brookies are tough. Pickerel are deranged little buggers. But what's the best pure fighter, once hooked? Go ...

 

Of the fish I have hooked.

 

Paddle fish; this one often slips my mind as I only managed to hook one ever. It burned carbon fiber like it just didn't care. nothing tops it that I have hooked in North American FW. I am not sure if they count as you can only hook them by snagging.

 

If we are talking fish that actually strike then...

 

Flathead catfish; meanest, toughest, plenty of endurance, and more raw muscle power then most any other native pure FW fish in North America. They are smart in how they fight too, often times they seek structure and attempt to use that structure to cut or break you off. Their fighting style is different from most fish species people are used to catching because they actually have the power to dive to where they want and use their strength to stay there.

 

Flatheads are followed up closely by common carp, which are real drag burners, they just are not the same mean hateful belligerent aholes that flatheads are as a species.

 

Both fish species have very different fighting styles, but in their fighting style categories they are tops.

 

This is based on having caught probably every big name fish species in the approximate 5lb range on the same medium power rod with 10lb test; including 5lb smb, 5lb lmb, 5lb flatheads, 5lb wipers, 5lb channels, and even a 5lb musky.

 

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BrooklynHooks said:

Funny, I was wondering about catfish, because the only sort I've caught were in New England, and pretty small. Fighters, definitely -- but not prizefighters. (I know there are some trophy-size catfish in some Northeast ponds and rivers. But I never caught any.)

 

Channels are ok fighters. They do actually fight harder then most fish in the same weight range. They do not have the broad bodies that a bluegill or bass has, so resistance and power is 100% tail and body propulsion.

 

It helps to remember that a 2lb channel is longer then a 2lb smb so it is easy to miss judge size.

 

Flatheads wipe the floor with channels though.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

To me, big catfish are like trucks. They have torque and power but they don’t FIGHT super hard. That being said they are some of my favorite freshwater fish. :howdy:

 

Well, most people catch big cats on heavy tackle with glass rods, it does dull the fight a lot.

 

Catching a big flathead on a heavy graphite rod and braid changes the experience dramatically.

 

I have watched enough guys who are smb and wiper fishing hook into what they think is a trophy smb or beast wiper just to pull up an 18in to 20in dink flathead.:laugh:

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flip n Dip said:

Hybrid Stripers. No other fish in freshwater even comes close.

 

If we divided best fighter into categories like so...

 

Acrobatics

Torque

Endurance

Horsepower

Initial strike

 

Wiper definitely checks off the initial strike as number one in my book. They feel like a lightening bolt smacking your hook/lure.

 

 

Ever try white bass on medium light tackle?

 

They are literal wiper mini me's.:) They are the most fun I have had FW fishing. Like smb, just with more punch.

 

 

 

In my opinion we really should divide fish up into fighting styles as the way a fish fights one species to the next can differ greatly and changes the overall experience.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

If we divided best fighter into categories like so...

 

Acrobatics

Torque 

Endurance

Horsepower

Initial strike

 

Wiper definitely checks off the initial strike as number one in my book. They feel like a lightening bolt smacking your hook/lure.

 

 

Ever try white bass on medium light tackle?

 

They are literal wiper mini me's.:) They are the most fun I have had FW fishing. Like smb, just with more punch.

 

 

 

In my opinion we really should divide fish up into fighting styles as the way a fish fights one species to the next can differ greatly and changes the overall experience.

After hybrid season and then getting brook trout I was surprised how much similar they fight,,,,:eek: but different fish in different water ways,,,,,,:beers:a carp in the river fights better than one in the lake and are alot smarter and the older fish are smart and it's a whole different ball game,,,,,,,,:box:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, bennie said:

After hybrid season and then getting brook trout I was surprised how much similar they fight,,,,:eek: but different fish in different water ways,,,,,,:beers:a carp in the river fights better than one in the lake and are alot smarter and the older fish are smart and it's a whole different ball game,,,,,,,,:box:

 

Fish in moving water are very strong compared to their slack water counterparts.

 

River fish are always fighting the current. When you consider just how migratory many river fish are (actually I think all fish in rivers migrate up stream prior to spawning) you appreciate just how powerful and how much stamina they have to have to move across those distances against the current.

 

 

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

But is it the fish or the current?  Even a Wal-Mart bag puts up a good fight in current.  

 

When a fish rips line off your reel as it swims up stream you know it is not the current.:D

 

Only two species of fish I have fought tend to do this with ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, RAW said:

Loaded question, big and tuff, sturgeon; Fast and acrobatic Steelhead; Bluegill !!!

 

You are thinking like me, different species have different fighting styles.

 

Sturgeon is on my bucket list, would love to fish for them some day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I’ve never caught a smallmouth, pike, or any of those northern species, so I’m strictly based on my southern species here. I would have to give it to the sunfish species, especially bluegill and redbreast. I mean if I catch a bluegill that weights half a pound, it fights much harder than a bass of the comparable size. Largemouth bass are frankly kind of lazy in my opinion. 
 

Also, can’t forget catfish. They fight hard at first, and it’s always fun, but then they just kind of propeller their way in.

 

redbreast came to mind for me too. I've come across a couple isolated spots in some NJ creeks that hold them, often near bridges for whatever reason, and I always caught them best in the summer now that I think of it. Many times I was fishing small rapalas or soft plastics for LM and get smacked by something I was sure would be a 12 or 14" largemouth, then see a 6-8" redbreast rolling around with a rapala across its face.

 

And not a chance on Carp, pound for pound. When they're 20+ pounds they'll obviously fight on ultralight tackle... but anything under 3 or 4 pounds slides right in on 4# line. A 3# LM, pickerel, or any species of catfish will blow that fish away. 

Edited by billthe5th
too many people voting for carp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, billthe5th said:

 

redbreast came to mind for me too. I've come across a couple isolated spots in some NJ creeks that hold them, often near bridges for whatever reason, and I always caught them best in the summer now that I think of it. Many times I was fishing small rapalas or soft plastics for LM and get smacked by something I was sure would be a 12 or 14" largemouth, then see a 6-8" redbreast rolling around with a rapala across its face.

 

And not a chance on Carp, pound for pound. When they're 20+ pounds they'll obviously fight on ultralight tackle... but anything under 3 or 4 pounds slides right in on 4# line. A 3# LM, pickerel, or any species of catfish will blow that fish away. 

Love catching redbreast in the creeks. Very fun on ultralight tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.