BrooklynHooks

Best freshwater fighter, pound for pound?

157 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

But is it the fish or the current?  Even a Wal-Mart bag puts up a good fight in current.  

Never fished for them..  Do they jump much? LoL

In 1881, while working on Book Of The Black Bass, James Henshell wrote the most quoted words in angling literature... Concerning the Smallmouth Bass;

"I consider him, inch for inch and pound for pound, the gamest fish that swims."

I've yet to find a reason to disagree. 

But, it's doubtful Dr Henshell ever had the oppurtunity to catch a fresh run steelhead. And if bluegills got to be 10lbs the B in B.A.S.S. would stand for Bluegill.......

Edited by ByronPA

Carp... (We need a little "drop the mic" emoji)...

Carp are beasts.. hook into a good piggie and it'll take your kayak on a sleigh ride down the river.. 

I'd consider following them up with lake trout.  They seem to have an endless tank of gas.. you can get them to the boat several times before they're worn out enough to get em in..

50 mins ago, ByronPA said:

if bluegills got to be 10lbs the B in B.A.S.S. would stand for Bluegill.......

I wonder if the well known biological rules about 'inverse square' scale work with fish. The idea is an ant can lift 10x it's weight, but if an ant was the size of a dog it couldn't even stand.  Do bluegills really fight harder than a similar size of small SMB, or are we just astonished they give a good fight at all?

22 mins ago, gellfex said:

I wonder if the well known biological rules about 'inverse square' scale work with fish. The idea is an ant can lift 10x it's weight, but if an ant was the size of a dog it couldn't even stand.  Do bluegills really fight harder than a similar size of small SMB, or are we just astonished they give a good fight at all?

from my experiences with even really big bluegills i think their "fight" comes from their wide flat profiles allowing them to give a lot more resistance for their weight, for me they seem to go back and forth, never pulling straight really hard

I will happily concede that carp are great fighters, at least those from flowing waters. And they get huge. And they're not that hard to hook into as long as you're not on a purist journey.. And, they're awesome gamefish that do not get near the respect they deserve...

BUT THEY DON"T JUMP.

And while jumping might not contribute to how hard a fish fights, it sure adds to the excitement of fighting a fish... at least for me.

And, furthermore, the OP question stated = Pound for pound..

So, I ask, a two pound smallie or a two pound carp?

7 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

Not the most glamorous fish, but on the right gear, Shad should get a nod. They're like a little small freshwater Tarpon in my opinion.

My opinion too. I use a St Criox 6' Lite Power rod ,Penn 420SS and 4 lb line with whatever shad darts they want that day.  Hooked up a couple 5 to 6 pounders last spring and they were a blast

10 hours ago, BrooklynHooks said:

I know. Comparing river fish to pond fish to lake fish is like comparing apples to oranges to carnitas burritos with guac and lots of salsa verde. Or Ali to Boom Boom Mancini to Nurmagomedov. Still, I'm curious: Pound for pound, what do anglers here consider the best (or maybe just the meanest) fighting fish in North America? Pike are downright scary. Brookies are tough. Pickerel are deranged little buggers. But what's the best pure fighter, once hooked? Go ...

River smallmouth bass for sure in my opinion.