Best freshwater fighter, pound for pound?

Carp in flooded timber is about as close to hand to fin combat as you can get.  I’ve got multiple shallow creeks less than 15’ wide and a 6” deep at the mouth that get stuffed with carp when the river gets high enough. The creek has to be running high and dirty…. That’s the food conveyor, once the creek starts running clear and there’s a discernible mud line within 75’ of the mouth it’s over and they move out.

You fish the main creek bed usually about 30 yards from the mouth, most times your only flipping the bait out 10-15’ . Average fish is 10-15 lbs… fish over 20 are common as well as fish you can’t stop. They always head for the mouth and the main river that’s running high and fast…. If they make it to the mouth your not stopping them.  Remember you can’t chase em, the trees that line the bank are now in 3’ of water and the banks are steep…. Another very important part to which creeks hold those fish in those conditions.  

When you set the hook on fish that size that close…. all hell breaks loose and it’s an absolute blast. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2021 at 9:13 AM, bigfish4me said:

Carp in flooded timber is about as close to hand to fin combat as you can get.  I’ve got multiple shallow creeks less than 15’ wide and a 6” deep at the mouth that get stuffed with carp when the river gets high enough. The creek has to be running high and dirty…. That’s the food conveyor, once the creek starts running clear and there’s a discernible mud line within 75’ of the mouth it’s over and they move out.

You fish the main creek bed usually about 30 yards from the mouth, most times your only flipping the bait out 10-15’ . Average fish is 10-15 lbs… fish over 20 are common as well as fish you can’t stop. They always head for the mouth and the main river that’s running high and fast…. If they make it to the mouth your not stopping them.  Remember you can’t chase em, the trees that line the bank are now in 3’ of water and the banks are steep…. Another very important part to which creeks hold those fish in those conditions.  

When you set the hook on fish that size that close…. all hell breaks loose and it’s an absolute blast. 

Nice, I hook them up as by catch. I would break them off because I was fishing something else. They can be big and take time to land.

Im thinking I need to enjoy these carp and deliberately fish for them. Ill fish some larger tackle and release safely. 

On 3/9/2021 at 10:13 AM, ICastAsJason said:

Steelhead, hands down. Nothing fights like them. They are the freshwater version of an Alby.

Anyone that says otherwise has never caught one.  They would pull a stringer full of smallmouths around all day and not get tired.

DaveC <0))))))))))))><

9 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Ehhh... Any decently large fish caught on 4lb to 6lb mono better fight hard.

I dont use 4 to 6 pound mono. Neither do center spinners. In fact it's more like 10 and 12. 2 pound steelie does the towing on stringer of 2 pound smallies. Ehhh

Edited by DaveC

DaveC <0))))))))))))><

• 2 weeks later...

With the introduction of Stripe bass and hybrids these  have my vote . These two have been the cause of me having to replace drag washers in several spinning reels. Before those two I would give a thumbs up to smallmouth bass. When I fished for them at night , they would get a running go to hit a spinner bait and a 4lb smallie would burn a drag as well .

On 12/13/2021 at 0:11 AM, stripefromshore said:

With the introduction of Stripe bass and hybrids these  have my vote . These two have been the cause of me having to replace drag washers in several spinning reels. Before those two I would give a thumbs up to smallmouth bass. When I fished for them at night , they would get a running go to hit a spinner bait and a 4lb smallie would burn a drag as well .

Felt washers do tend to turn to dust against powerful fish.

I used to run a pair of Stradic 5000FJ's in the past for channel cats. The felt drag washers were destroyed in short order and were swapped out for carbon fiber.

You gotta love Steelies, but there is a big difference in fight depending on the water temps… same with smallies. Landlocked salmon are awesome as well! Idk, maybe pound per pound I’d have to go with peacocks, they just go spastic… buts it’s really tough to beat a good old common carp for raw pulling power, in warm water.