BrooklynHooks

Best freshwater fighter, pound for pound?

139 posts in this topic

I know. Comparing river fish to pond fish to lake fish is like comparing apples to oranges to carnitas burritos with guac and lots of salsa verde. Or Ali to Boom Boom Mancini to Nurmagomedov. Still, I'm curious: Pound for pound, what do anglers here consider the best (or maybe just the meanest) fighting fish in North America? Pike are downright scary. Brookies are tough. Pickerel are deranged little buggers. But what's the best pure fighter, once hooked? Go ...

more seriously, I will go with bigger pickerel and bigger small mouth. I have no Northern lakes or Canadian fishing adventures under my belt, yet...

smallmouths get my vote for overall. hit, fight , endurance and never quit attitude. even when you think they are played out they usually make another jump or lunge right when they shouldn't. 

i've caught a few river carp that amazed me for the sheer speed of their runs.

I think white perch get a nod for how hard they hit relative to their size but they lack endurance imo. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Same. Smallmouth.  

Pike fight, but smallmouth are insane. 

I've heard walleye give a good tussle. But I haven't caught one yet.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

25 mins ago, BrianZ said:

smallmouths get my vote for overall. hit, fight , endurance and never quit attitude. even when you think they are played out they usually make another jump or lunge right when they shouldn't. 

I think white perch get a nod for how hard they hit relative to their size but they lack endurance imo. 

BZ, I think you hit on something critical there, with endurance. Some fish strike harder, some might put up a more dramatic fight for a short time, but smallmouth are just electric. Even the larger smallies fight like crazed youngsters, even after they're landed. Championship bout, every time.

4 mins ago, BrooklynHooks said:

BZ, I think you hit on something critical there, with endurance. Some fish strike harder, some might put up a more dramatic fight for a short time, but smallmouth are just electric. Even the larger smallies fight like crazed youngsters, even after they're landed. Championship bout, every time.

The acrobatics alone!

38 mins ago, BrianZ said:

Agree.  Especially river smallies.

15 mins ago, flyman28 said:

Bluegills.  If they grew to 10#s nobody would fish for anything else.  They use the body like a permit.

But they give up fast and swim in a circle.