Rustoleum ultra cover clear

Rate this topic

Steel Pulse

We will find out. Years ago I used to use a clear over paint. Determined it was more hassle than it was worth and really didn’t know why I was doing that so I stopped and never had any issue with many many plugs under the bridge by now but last year or so I’m having a hard time with black so maybe for that I’ll try out this clear. 

what's the secret word for tonight

I have never used E-Tex but have had an occasional issue with both gloss dark blue & gloss black Rustoleum.  I've also had minor issues with metallic paints. I can almost always get away with one coat of Systems 3 clear coat.  When I have issues like fish eye I just give the plug a 2nd coat of Systems 3 & it fills in any blemishes.  When I do a mackerel pattern & use a Pen Touch quick dry permanent marker pen to make the black lines I will spray the plug with Rustoleum clear.  Otherwise the black lines will smear when you brush on the Systems 3 clear coat.  The flat colors (i.e. flat black) seem to be far less problematic & when you cover the black with epoxy it takes on a decent gloss appearance.  I seriously doubt if the fish care if the plug has gloss or flat paint....

FWIW, I used createx paints early-on solely because it never had poor interaction problems with etex.  My plugs were like glass. Something changed in the past 8 or 10 years with either createx or etex.  They do not play well together anymore and the results are discouraging.  I have now resorted to using a clear coat to separate the two.  I learned this from folks that were (back then) experimenting with enamel and lacquer colors and were experiencing the fish eyes and bare spots.  I used the brand in your photo, but in the gloss and have found that a few problems persist with an uneven cure of the epoxy.  I will be going back to the Krylon brand. Never had an issue with Krylon.

"When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."

6 mins ago, H'Islander said:

FWIW, I used createx paints early-on solely because it never had poor interaction problems with etex.  My plugs were like glass. Something changed in the past 8 or 10 years with either createx or etex.  They do not play well together anymore and the results are discouraging.  I have now resorted to using a clear coat to separate the two.  I learned this from folks that were (back then) experimenting with enamel and lacquer colors and were experiencing the fish eyes and bare spots.  I used the brand in your photo, but in the gloss and have found that a few problems persist with an uneven cure of the epoxy.  I will be going back to the Krylon brand. Never had an issue with Krylon.

The gloss might be the issue . Try the matte 

2 hours ago, H'Islander said:

FWIW, I used createx paints early-on solely because it never had poor interaction problems with etex.  My plugs were like glass. Something changed in the past 8 or 10 years with either createx or etex.  They do not play well together anymore and the results are discouraging.  

I totally agree something has changed in the etex.  I never had issues with it in the past.  I will give this clear coat a try.  

I use Etex and it has been really touchy so trying to match the manufactures instructions as close to a T as possible is recommended.  When I moved into my new place and got setup, I had to re-dial in my process and made some new changes to keep the temps optimum, with the winter I had some challenges but since have figured out how to get stable conditions.   Heater/AC and having a temp/humidity monitor helps quite a bit.  Also don't skip past cure times on the paints, follow those manufactures instructions as well.  

Edited by norcalkat

I also started using this the last few times I’ve painted/epoxy. Takes all of the fish eyes and missed spots out. Something with the createx paints does it.  Not all, but a few. I had issues with the pearls more than any other paint. I’ll be painting in a few days again, hope it goes well