Steel Pulse

Rustoleum ultra cover clear

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Someone posted they use this over hard to cover water based colors before epoxy. Could you tell me why and how you use this product. Black is a bitch for me and want to give it a try. Thanks Paul 

045FBDDB-278E-4AB3-A624-A6B93B012427.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sparky recommended it . Idk if that’s the exact one I use , id have to go look , but I do use rustolium matte clear after I’m done with air brush , and has stopped all my fish eye crazy etex golf ball  reactions almost completely .. why ? Couldn’t tell ya , I’m guessing the matte gives a nice toothy surface for the epoxy to grab to . And apparently plays nice with etex so makes a barrier between epoxy and airbrush paint .  

give it a try . What’s ya got to lose ?  I give one coat after I’m done painting and set paint with alil heat.   I’ve epoxied as soon as an hour after 

Edited by Wire For Fire

SP It has worked for me, I have the same can for black, and pearls, they all get coated, seems to provide a good barrier. Cause I think it's some weird reaction between etex and just those colors, and the black, for me, never gets more than tacky dry, even after setting......attracts everything, so the clear helps with that.

Nope don’t touch it . I’ve done them in a hurry hour or so after but with a some heat to speed it along . I’d say best to give it a nice 24 hour is more then plenty 

This has had me questioning for some time.   Last couple builds, I’ve completed I get 1 or 2 plugs with the fish eyes after first coat of etex.   Never had this issue with etex in the past. 

I have been painting lures for less than a few months. I have used the rustoleum clear matte followed by etex exclusively for both wood plugs and plastic crankbait blanks with great results.