Striper Moratorium

Rate this topic

Dutch57

Can someone explain to me how Point # 1 Moratorium (coast and bay, no recreational or commercial harvest) gets achieved if Point #4 Ban the commercial gillnet fishery (Coast and Bay); adopt hook-and-line fishing only where commercial harvest persists.  It appears to contradict... no?

20 mins ago, fmtuna said:

Can someone explain to me how Point # 1 Moratorium (coast and bay, no recreational or commercial harvest) gets achieved if Point #4 Ban the commercial gillnet fishery (Coast and Bay); adopt hook-and-line fishing only where commercial harvest persists.  It appears to contradict... no?

My guess would be post moratorium, since all other oroposed reg. Are null if no fishing is allowed

31 mins ago, fmtuna said:

Oh oh oh i just read the thing on thier website. I believe #1 is specifically for striped bass and #4 is all commercial fishing to minimize by-catch of striped bass. Which makes even more sense

2 hours ago, Dutch57 said:

There's an article in The Day paper today about Stripers Forever calling for a 10 year ban on harvesting stripers. Just an FYI. 

Why striped bass?  I would rather make striped bass regs less stringent and save other species that taste far better that are in bigger trouble than bass.  

Stripers forever is a giant tease. On the surface they look good but ultimately they're a major fail. Virtually everything on that list is not up for debate with the next management plan or beyond the scope of the asmfc.

Enforcement and penalties, that is a state issue and would need to be addressed by each state individually. On the enforcement side, that's basically not going to happen. I think it is safe to say that every single state where striped bass exist are having some level of financial difficulty. Funding for more enforcement isn't going to happen and is likely to be cut further.

Ending commercial fishing at this point isn't even on the table to discuss.

The only thing that is even remotely possible is the treble hook. 

In the end, it reads like a child's unrealistic Christmas list, nice to think about but no way in hell it will ever happen.

Edited by Drew C.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

15 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Stripers forever is a giant tease. On the surface they look good but ultimately they're a major fail. Virtually everything on that list is not up for debate with the next management plan or beyond the scope of the asmfc.

Enforcement and penalties, that is a state issue and would need to be addressed by each state individually. On the enforcement side, that's basically not going to happen. I think it is safe to say that every single state where striped bass exist are having some level of financial difficulty. Funding for more enforcement isn't going to happen and is likely to be cut further.

Ending commercial fishing at this point isn't even on the table to discuss.

The only thing that is even remotely possible is the treble hook. 

In the end, it reads like a child's unrealistic Christmas list, nice to think about but no way in hell it will ever happen.

So true and myopic. A couple of specifics

• ASMFC doesn't pay for MRIP, the states do so who's going to issue the $25 stamp??
  • As far as the "single treble/barbless hooks" proposal, does the comment, "I was fishing for bluefish!" ring true?  Unenforceable regulations are more idiotic than no regulation. 

Stripers Forever does little, if anything, to actually come up with reasonable, concrete proposals.  The only thing on the "List" that makes sense is ban on fishing in spawning areas, BUT, and it's a big BUT, all spawning areas within state rivers, and therefore totally subject to the whims of individual states.  The should initiate concerted efforts on individual states in this regard; they could possibly actually have some true impact there...

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

3 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

So true and myopic. A couple of specifics

• ASMFC doesn't pay for MRIP, the states do so who's going to issue the $25 stamp??
  • As far as the "single treble/barbless hooks" proposal, does the comment, "I was fishing for bluefish!" ring true?  Unenforceable regulations are more idiotic than no regulation. 

SOS continues to propose the "SOS" and does little, if anything to actually come up with reasonable, concrete proposals.  The only thing on the "List" that makes sense is ban on fishing in spawning areas, BUT, and it's a big BUT, all spawning areas within state rivers, and therefore totally subject to the whims of individual states.  SOS should put their concerted efforts on individual states in this regard; they could possibly actually have some true impact there...

They would have been better off going after trebles than trying to mandate circles. But either one won't do jack **** for the resource.

Get ready for the crash guys, we're already a good ways there.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

1 min ago, Drew C. said:

Get ready for the crash guys, we're already a good ways there.

I always believed crashing it would eliminate participation and rebound stocks, but it seems like we're already crashed but participation is still very high.  These silly circle and treble hook laws are non sense.  

1 hour ago, Dutch57 said:
  • Issue a $25 Striped Bass stamp to fund and support collection of timely, high-confidence MRIP data.

I'm all for reductions in striped bass harvest & am very happy that the new regs (that we fished under last season) finally protect the larger breeder females.  But as far as the data collection is concerned, we've been promised "better data" for for the purpose of better management for years now & it simply hasn't happened.  This was a big selling point for state licenses and/or registries - to create a documented pool of fishermen who could then be surveyed to better ascertain the state of the fishery.  NY has had the marine registry for a number of years now & I've yet to be contacted by anyone with regard to a survey.  So to now ask folks to fork over another 25 bucks for the same promise kinda falls on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned.

Plus the fact that Stripers Forever has been pushing for this unrealistic "gamefish status" for so long with no results to show for it.

It might be a good Idea to realize  that other things eat bass.

Starting around 1968--70 seals have been allowed to live in Massachusetts rather than a bounty per kill.

While sportsmen  think they are the only killer's of bass they have to realize  that30,000 grey seals have been aloud to multiply along the Massachusetts coast.

TRY 30,000FOR A NUMBER!!!!!  I Suggest THINING THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!

We might see a slight recovery in bass as well as other life.

Check out flights over Monomoy Island for a view.

3 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'm curious as to how they would determine what's a "spawning area".  The experts can't seem to agree.

FWIW they specifically cited all of the Hudson river and Rarity bay.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Has the Stripers Forever Group ever really accomplished anything in their entire history?

Raritan Bay, NJ is the new " Killing Fields".  Since the bass fishing out front is mostly dead, every Spring, all the  boats are now fishing  in the bay, as it's the only game in town now..  I live here so I see it fish hand.