Striper Moratorium

Rate this topic

Dutch57

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

I got involved with fisheries management and advocacy in a moment of masochistic weakness during the striped bass collapse of the 1970s and 1980s, and haven'[t been able to extricate myself since.  Unless you've had a look inside the system, it's tough to figure out how it works, because there are so many moving parts.  Some things work relatively well, at least from a conservation standpoint, such as the federal fishery management system, while some things, like the ASMFC, has by and large been abysmally deficient.  One reason that the federal system works is because there are strict legal guidelines that make it difficult for purely economic considerations to control the outcomes.

thank you for your labors on our behalf.. and the illuminating posts here. 

I was dumbfounded to see this in the report,
 http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/601d80aeStripedBassAm7PID_PublicComment_Feb2021.pdf

In 2019, more fish were estimated to have died from catch and release fishing
than were harvested by the recreational fishery (2.59 million fish and 2.15 million
fish, respectively; Figure 5).

Commercial fishing about 700,000. 

Little as I like the idea, it seems a fishing season is the only way to control the c&r mortality.. 

7 mins ago, DougK said:

thank you for your labors on our behalf.. and the illuminating posts here. 

I was dumbfounded to see this in the report,
 http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/601d80aeStripedBassAm7PID_PublicComment_Feb2021.pdf

Commercial fishing about 700,000. 

Little as I like the idea, it seems a fishing season is the only way to control the c&r mortality.. 

Well, i mean if there was enforcment. Then you can have catch and release fish count as your daily limit. Which is how it is for some rivers in washington for salmon. 

Sometimes, I’ll take striper home for a friend of mine. 

and you know what I do after I catch my limit I LEAVE.

I’ll fish 12 hours straight multiple days a week if I have the time. 

I mean think about it. 

3 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I used to fish for a that was responsible for sample collection in washington state. He worked for the department of fish and wildlife out there. Basically he’d collect one scale and two tissue samples of all the fish I caught to check the age and health. It was the best salmon fishing ever, If I was with him I could fish in restricted waters, catch and release as much as I wanted etc... 

he always complained about the bureaucracy of the whole system. Decisions were solely based on tribal and commercial fisheries money generating potential not the data he and his colleagues collected. His data basically affected the sport fishermans season.

The main goal of a hatchery isn’t to restore the population of a species, it is to generate a commodity and prepetuate the fishing industry.

“Hatcheries are fish breeding and raising centers that have been built primarily to enhance harvest in commercial, sport, and Tribal fisheries, and reduce the impacts of development that destroys or degrades salmon habitat and blocks migratory routes.”

https://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries/reports/tamwg/2008/March10-11/Attachment4.pdf

a moratorium costs jobs and revenue industry wide, hatcheries perpetuate harvest. 

who going to pay for it? 
the people who have a vested interest in the harvest. 

And thats why I think that is the action the is going to be taken. 

If they end up going the hatchery route which I doubt will happen I would rather see the stripers go into lakes to give us other options to fish. There doesn’t seem to be much logic to stocking fish into the ocean where they will disappear or get eaten. Will the stocked fish even know to migrate?

8 mins ago, z-man said:

If they end up going the hatchery route which I doubt will happen I would rather see the stripers go into lakes to give us other options to fish. There doesn’t seem to be much logic to stocking fish into the ocean where they will disappear or get eaten. Will the stocked fish even know to migrate?

The salmon seem to manage to get back to the hatchery and out to the salt. 

striped bass hatcheries already exist, 
Heres an article from south carolina from 1972 outlining how to proigate and hybridze striped bass.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0734/ML073400432.pdf

here’s an artile from the new york times in 1986 about a hatchery up the hudson river

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/06/08/nyregion/as-striped-bass-run-up-hudson-the-pace-quickens-at-hatchery.html

i’m sure the stripers can figure it out just like any other striper that is born. It’s not they the parents teach them anything, they aren’t there. 

16 mins ago, z-man said:

I replied but my post has to get moderator approval because it has a few links in it

1 min ago, z-man said:

Just tell us what it is. I don’t want to have to click on links and most others probably don’t want to either. 

Basically the salmon seem to be able to figure it out. 

and hatcheries already exist for stripers all up and down the east coast for decades. 

The sad, angering and frustrating harsh reality here is that bass are screwed. ASMFC will lower the reference points for the stock, they've already decided that, the PID is a dog and pony show.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, Callmefish said:

Isn’t the slot size snd 1 fish retention all along the east coast or specific to NY? Isn’t this to avoid retention of juvenile and breeder fish? If there isn’t enforcement  on this reg then it is meaningless.

is it possible to create a hatchery? Maybe clip the adaposial fin to designate wild from hatchery fish? What about paid licensing that goes to fisheries managment instead of park and rec. permits that goes to the parks. I mean come on. At least here in NY they don’t seem all that interested in managment of the fishery. 

nobody stocks the ocean

bass have no adipose fin,that's unique to salmonids

19 mins ago, slip n slide said:

nobody stocks the ocean

bass have no adipose fin,that's unique to salmonids

Why not Slip? they stock trout and that works!

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

12 mins ago, Drew C. said:

If we are gonna stock the ocean can we pease stock tarpon? That would be fun!

Atlantic coast striped bass populations suffered a major collapse shortly after commercial landings of Atlantic coast striped bass peaked in 1973 at more than 6,000,000 metric tons. Additional factors contributing to the stock collapse beside commercial overharvest were habitat loss and the construction of fish passage barriers such as dams that prevented stripe bass from reaching their spawning habitat. As a result of this collapse, approximately 20 fish hatcheries began rearing and stocking striped bass to offset plummeting stocks.”

well I’ll be. 

apparently  were all talking about something that has already happened... did not know that.

that’s fron the fws website

Before calling for a striped bass hatchery you may want to dive deeper into what the hatchery is doing to the wild salmon and trout populations.  It's not something I'd bring on to the striped bass population. Check out the full length documentary. 

ARTIFISHAL

Edited by BeachBum818