Dutch57

Striper Moratorium

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

There's an article in The Day paper today about Stripers Forever calling for a 10 year ban on harvesting stripers. Just an FYI. 

Edited by Dutch57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Dutch57 said:

There's an article in The Day paper today about Stripers Forever calling for a 10 year ban on harvesting stripers. Just an FYI. 

All they had to do was agree to support a reduction across all user groups in their push for gamefish status and they would have had the support of nearly everyone fifteen years ago. They wouldn't do it. 

 

Does their proposed moratorium include a ban on C&R bass fishing?

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, TimS said:

All they had to do was agree to support a reduction across all user groups in their push for gamefish status and they would have had the support of nearly everyone fifteen years ago. They wouldn't do it. 

 

Does their proposed moratorium include a ban on C&R bass fishing?

 

TimS

I can't speak for them, but it doesn't appear too. They do want all fishing in spawning areas to be halted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Dutch57 said:

I can't speak for them, but it doesn't appear too. They do want all fishing in spawning areas to be halted.

Can't disagree with that, what's their proposed plan of action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Goldy said:

Whats the day paper?

I moved his thread here from the Connecticut forum - so probably a CT newspaper :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the effectiveness of past moratoriums, and how they were enforced and the "exceptions" that will undoubtedly come up, I'd say it would not be fully supported.

Remember when we "used" to be able to use herring for bat, caught and livelined for bass?

Remember how many years ago the put THAT moratorium in place, and how likely we are to ever see it lifted?

Remember how there were "exceptions" to that rule? How even with the recreational use removed, their numbers just can't seem to recover (probably from the "exceptions" harvesting)? 

 

These same people with such an abysmal success rate want to try one more time with another fishery?

If they do, they'll have to change this website to "Seabassonline" or "Scuponline" or "Remembering Stripersonline"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 mins ago, Dutch57 said:

I can't speak for them, but it doesn't appear too. They do want all fishing in spawning areas to be halted.

That would be a tough sell.  The ones I'm familiar with also have numerous other fish species in them that are not threatened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moratorium (coast and bay, no recreational or commercial harvest) of 10 years’ duration to ensure the success of the ASMFC’s 10-year stock rebuilding plan.
  • No targeting Striped Bass in traditional spawning areas, as determined by local authorities.
  • Issue a $25 Striped Bass stamp to fund and support collection of timely, high-confidence MRIP data.
  • Ban the commercial gillnet fishery (Coast and Bay); adopt hook-and-line fishing only where commercial harvest persists.
  • Include a metric to account for commercial release discard mortality (including bycatch and poaching) to ensure accurate commercial impact and accountability.
  • Stronger punishments for poaching (counting black market catch against commercial quota, lifetime ban from all commercial and recreational fisheries for multiple or egregious offenders, gear forfeiture, larger fines, etc.).
  • Limit treble hooks to one per artificial lure.
  • Require barbs on artificial lures be flattened when used for striped bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stripers have been mismanaged for so long and even with a moratorium they will still be mismanaged. They will place a moratorium and then have exceptions for certain groups none of which will be rec fishing and around and around we will go. Money drives all decisions when it comes to deciding "what's best for striped bass".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Dutch57 said:
  • Moratorium (coast and bay, no recreational or commercial harvest) of 10 years’ duration to ensure the success of the ASMFC’s 10-year stock rebuilding plan.
  • No targeting Striped Bass in traditional spawning areas, as determined by local authorities.
  • Issue a $25 Striped Bass stamp to fund and support collection of timely, high-confidence MRIP data.
  • Ban the commercial gillnet fishery (Coast and Bay); adopt hook-and-line fishing only where commercial harvest persists.
  • Include a metric to account for commercial release discard mortality (including bycatch and poaching) to ensure accurate commercial impact and accountability.
  • Stronger punishments for poaching (counting black market catch against commercial quota, lifetime ban from all commercial and recreational fisheries for multiple or egregious offenders, gear forfeiture, larger fines, etc.).
  • Limit treble hooks to one per artificial lure.
  • Require barbs on artificial lures be flattened when used for striped bass.

Thats there plan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Dutch57 said:
  • Moratorium (coast and bay, no recreational or commercial harvest) of 10 years’ duration to ensure the success of the ASMFC’s 10-year stock rebuilding plan.
  • No targeting Striped Bass in traditional spawning areas, as determined by local authorities.
  • Issue a $25 Striped Bass stamp to fund and support collection of timely, high-confidence MRIP data.
  • Ban the commercial gillnet fishery (Coast and Bay); adopt hook-and-line fishing only where commercial harvest persists.
  • Include a metric to account for commercial release discard mortality (including bycatch and poaching) to ensure accurate commercial impact and accountability.
  • Stronger punishments for poaching (counting black market catch against commercial quota, lifetime ban from all commercial and recreational fisheries for multiple or egregious offenders, gear forfeiture, larger fines, etc.).
  • Limit treble hooks to one per artificial lure.
  • Require barbs on artificial lures be flattened when used for striped bass.

I could get behind a plan like that, as long as they actually enforce the harsher punishments for poaching and mistreating the fish etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Dutch57 said:
  • Moratorium (coast and bay, no recreational or commercial harvest) of 10 years’ duration to ensure the success of the ASMFC’s 10-year stock rebuilding plan.
  • No targeting Striped Bass in traditional spawning areas, as determined by local authorities.
  • Issue a $25 Striped Bass stamp to fund and support collection of timely, high-confidence MRIP data.
  • Ban the commercial gillnet fishery (Coast and Bay); adopt hook-and-line fishing only where commercial harvest persists.
  • Include a metric to account for commercial release discard mortality (including bycatch and poaching) to ensure accurate commercial impact and accountability.
  • Stronger punishments for poaching (counting black market catch against commercial quota, lifetime ban from all commercial and recreational fisheries for multiple or egregious offenders, gear forfeiture, larger fines, etc.).
  • Limit treble hooks to one per artificial lure.
  • Require barbs on artificial lures be flattened when used for striped bass.

I like to fish for Stripers, and I'd have no objections to any of these.  (And I live very close to the Hudson.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.