BrooklynHooks

Block Island -- West side coves dry in recent years?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey, all. I know there are folks here who have been fishing the Block for decades. I've been visiting BI since the early '70s, and in recent years have run into some weirdness in some of the west side coves, specifically Grace's and Dorie's (or Dorry's, Dory's, or Dorrie's -- what the hell?). I'm curious: Have others found that fish are less plentiful there in recent years than off of other parts of the island? Dorie's used to be my go-to spot when all else failed, and maybe it's just one of those inexplicable dry spells we all encounter. But this dry spell feels different.

At the same time, I've had better luck on the northeast of the island than I have in the past -- around Settlers Rock, for example.

Have others noticed that Dorie's has seemed a bit dry in the past few years? Or is it just me? Thanks.

Inshore fishing methods like surfcasting feel the effects of decrease of any biomass before anyone else.  Success by surfcasters is  definitely a barometer of how things are and this is evident the entire range of the striped bass including Block.  Consistencies at certain locations also could have many other factors involved like time of season, conditions, presence of forage, etc.  Catch rates at Dories for me has not been as historically consistent.   Like a wise man once said, "Fish have tails... and they swim".  But is sure is hard to catch something that is not there.  

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Inshore fishing methods like surfcasting feel the effects of decrease of any biomass before anyone else.  Success by surfcasters is  definitely a barometer of how things are and this is evident the entire range of the striped bass including Block.  Consistencies at certain locations also could have many other factors involved like time of season, conditions, presence of forage, etc.  Catch rates at Dories for me has not been as historically consistent.   Like a wise man once said, "Fish have tails... and they swim".  But is sure is hard to catch something that is not there.  

Roger and amen to all of that. I'm also curious if some of the known effects of climate change -- altered water runoff patterns and amounts, unfamiliar wind strengths and directions, etc. -- might possibly affect structure, even in the near term. In an age of 500-year floods happening every other spring, geologic time itself seems to have sped up.

Anyway, thanks for the insights and reminders. And for the koan about the difficulty of catching things that aren't there.

Heading to block in July for my 4th year of surf fishing BI.  I got my first Striper at Dories Cove and it's where I got hooked on surf fishing.  It's always had a ton of seaweed and casting past the milk weed has been productive.  Current seems pretty slow and mellow compared to other spots.  All that being said, I don't think Dories is drying up the fish are still there but not aggressive in my opinion.  Fish top water at that location because of all the weed.  What a place BI is for surf casting and how much opportunity is out there is a life time of exploring can't wait for Dennis to put out the new book so we all can hear some new stories and hear the differences of then and now on fish stocks.