Inthewash0181

Mojo setups & Bunker spoons setups

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What is everyone running for their mojo setups and for the bunker spoons setups. This is my first season switching over to boat fishing trying to see what everyone is running, rod, reel line etc. 

Bunker spoon rod wise the best of the best are the 9' seeker bunker spoon rods, very tough to find.

Tsunami makes wireline rods, but I find them to be significantly less effective. The Tony Maja rods are readily available and are okay.

Don't know where you're located but Kevin Bogan (Fish Poison Rods in Pt Pleasant NJ) makes a nice 8 and 9 foot bunker spoon rod.

I also use Bogans mojo trolling rods, but realistically any rod with some backbone will work. Used to use at croix musky rods with a gimbal put on the butt. 6'-7'6" are ideal depending on motor setup(longer rods help with working around outboard motors)

The older tekotas(grey/silver colored not the HG) are great trolling reels, 800s for wire, 500 or 600 for braid and mojos. Some guys don't like the levelwind and use tld15s, which are plenty for stripers no need to go to 20/25 that I see a lot of guys trolling unless you want double duty for inshore schoolie tuna.

Budget option Penn 4/0hsp for wire, specifically designed for wire line the spool resists corrosion. Some old timers really like the Penn _49 series for wire as well.

Definitely invest in a nice set of outrodders to spread out the spoons and it helps with mojo's as well.

What ourrodders do you reccomend. I'm in NJ as well I know Kevin's stuff, and Joey's and Marco's. I'm just trying to figure out which way I should go. Dont reqlly have the experience on the boat.

I have a pair of Reliable outrodders, can't find them for sale anywhere but I'm sure they're still made, I got them years ago quality pieces. 

A buddy has a pair of Tony Maja ez outrodders, they're pretty cool, kinda gimmicky but they work great, just don't think it's totally necessary.

There's plenty of affordable options, cabela's has a house brand Ive heard good things about, some of the cheaper ones come with junky rod leashes, which are very important so you might want to invest in a pair of good leashes if you go that route, or make your own(youtube)

If you were getting a tuna jigging rod, I'd go to Marco or joey but for an old school glass bunker spoon rod, Kevin nails it, afforable and easy, nothing fancy here no new top of the line japanese blanks so I couldn't justify going to some of the other NJ builders

wjtoggin pretty much nails it, if thats the direction you want to go

I have the 9' seekers as well - besides spoons running correctly, you can drag anything else you choose

Ditto on the reliables as well.  Anything will work for that though - If I had the ability to weld alum I would have saved myself a couple of bucks...doesn't have to be pretty

Honestly, I'd rather jig or do anything but drag wire.  I always carry them, use them maybe 5-10% of the time.  Absolute last resort, but sometimes its the only thing that might bend.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah im not a fan of trolling even for tuna I'd rather jig em up or throw poppers, but for big eye or blue fin obviously trolling. I'm going to plug for stripers mainly and jig. I will chunk, eel or live line see how these new hook regulations work out. But I just want to have the option to troll for either people who don't have the experience that may come on the boat, or if it is really necessary, and I don't know much about trolling. I appreciate all your guys help very informative what speed are you trolling at with mojos/spoons? 

Edited by Inthewash0181
Typos

3 hours ago, Inthewash0181 said:

Yeah im not a fan of trolling even for tuna I'd rather jig em up or throw poppers, but for big eye or blue fin obviously trolling. I'm going to plug for stripers mainly and jig. I will chunk, eel or live line see how these new hook regulations work out. But I just want to have the option to troll for either people who don't have the experience that may come on the boat, or if it is really necessary, and I don't know much about trolling. I appreciate all your guys help very informative what speed are you trolling at with mojos/spoons? 

around 3 miles per hr. If you have a spoon rod Seeker or Maja you should be able to tell by the pumping of the rod. It will bend then come up . I caught many large stripers now illegal to keep on spoons with wire line on a 4/0 Penn senator. I rather troll a tandem mojo with a smaller reel with braid . It is a shorter rod the Maja I have for MoJos then the seeker 8 ft. for spoons .

5 mins ago, Hammerheadman said:

around 3 miles per hr. If you have a spoon rod Seeker or Maja you should be able to tell by the pumping of the rod. It will bend then come up . I caught many large stripers now illegal to keep on spoons with wire line on a 4/0 Penn senator. I rather troll a tandem mojo with a smaller reel with braid . It is a shorter rod the Maja I have for MoJos then the seeker 8 ft. for spoons .

Thank you for the info

On 3/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, Inthewash0181 said:

Spoons will tell you when the speed is right.  You'll see the rods doing long, slow dips as the lure swims.  Too slow or too fast, that doesn't happen.

I used to say that 2.5 kt was about the right speed, but that's deceiving, because the speed is measured over ground, while the lure reacts to speed through the water.  Thus, trolling with the current, you need to speed up to get the right action, while trololing into the current, you need to slow down.  Trolling the same speed over ground in both direction won't work, and in fact, could leave you with a lure that isn't acting quite right in either direction,. 

I run a Shimano Charter Special paired with a 6.5 ft Daiwa Seagate rod. It's a wireline rod but I use it for braid and leadcore. It has a very nice backbone and isn't expensive either ($100). Gonna add wireline to my arsenal eventually, will definitely pick up another one of these rods to go with the reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/7/2021 at 10:57 PM, Inthewash0181 said:

What ourrodders do you reccomend. I'm in NJ as well I know Kevin's stuff, and Joey's and Marco's. I'm just trying to figure out which way I should go. Dont reqlly have the experience on the boat.

Had maja adjustable outrodders, had to fight with the pin to adjust

Last year i upgraded to reel innovation outrodders, outstanding adjustment mechanism makes setup and retrieve easier

But they are very pricey

If ease of use or reducing lower back stress when reaching out to retrieve/remove the loaded horizontal rod are of importance to you, then reel innovation outrodders are worth the price.

Edited by w2f4

Being that, like most, dragging wire is a last resort option I tried to keep my investment at a minimum. I’ve had excellent service from US made Penn 114HSPs and Maja rods with $40 Amazon special outrodders.

Be prepared to drop some fish especially if you’re new to spoons and wire. 16 oz. pie plates tend to give fish a lot of leverage when they shake their head. I lost my biggest bass on a spoon about 15 ft. from the boat when it shook its head like a largemouth bass.