Cameron Scott OKeefe

Rod search, spinning to throw 2-3oz from kayak

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

United Composites RCE700 M-S. That will throw up too 3oz. If you plan on tossing over 3 I would go the next model up, RCE700 H-S. 

 

Black Hole Charter Special 73MH-S is also another versatile blank and will toss up to 5oz decent. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugly Stik Tiger Lite (now Elite) are very popular kayak rods. Relatively cheap, ~7' long depending on model, short butts, and hard to break. You don't need to toss like hero on a kayak, you can paddle to where the fish are. Check out the many discussions of this topic in the kayak forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, gellfex said:

You don't need to toss like hero on a kayak, 

:headscratch:  What does that actually mean?  If a kayak angler uses something other than Ugly Stick he's a hero? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Riddler said:

:headscratch:  What does that actually mean?  If a kayak angler uses something other than Ugly Stick he's a hero? 

Just saying that all the nuances of distance casting that are considered very important from the shore, and are a reason to buy top end gear, are less important on a kayak where it's not a struggle to reach where the fish are.  "Out of casting range" is a very temporary situation when you can just go to em. Nothing stopping anybody from buying the best if that's their thing though. Hope it's leashed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, gellfex said:

Just saying that all the nuances of distance casting that are considered very important from the shore, and are a reason to buy top end gear, are less important on a kayak where it's not a struggle to reach where the fish are.  "Out of casting range" is a very temporary situation when you can just go to em. Nothing stopping anybody from buying the best if that's their thing though. Hope it's leashed!

I can't imagine why someone who wanted to toss 2-3oz plugs and swim baits would frown on distance from the kayak but hey, to each their own. I'll-take that distance all the time.  

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see someone do a distance test with an Ugly Stick verse Something middle of the road like a Black Hole , St. Croix, what ever....who would have thought for the extra 150 bucks you too can cast further. Forget about better guides, something light, capable of launching large plastics and plugs....we must have been doing it wrong.  Maybe if I spent 500 I can cast 180 yards sitting. 

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used and really enjoyed a Daiwa Backbay in heavy for larger presentations from the kayak. It has a good mix of sensitivity, soft rod tip, and then enough back bone to put the brakes on a big fish.  I was throwing mostly softbaits, but was using it up to the 3oz range. The rod I think was only rated up to 1 1/2oz, but can definitely handle a bit more. Go for something 7’6” or longer, you’ll thank me the first time a big cow goes under your yak and you need to get the line around your bow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alextadventues said:

I used and really enjoyed a Daiwa Backbay in heavy for larger presentations from the kayak. It has a good mix of sensitivity, soft rod tip, and then enough back bone to put the brakes on a big fish.  I was throwing mostly softbaits, but was using it up to the 3oz range. The rod I think was only rated up to 1 1/2oz, but can definitely handle a bit more. Go for something 7’6” or longer, you’ll thank me the first time a big cow goes under your yak and you need to get the line around your bow. 

Hey, did you get any distance with rod? Think more money would have made you cast further? :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'll be trying out my new $50 Offshore Angler Gold Cup Inshore with a Penn Fierce III 4000!  Rated to 3 oz.  Short butt too!

Edited by Skunkoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cameron Scott OKeefe said:

Hello all! I’m looking for a spinning rod that I’d be able to throw around 2-3oz plugs/swim baits from a kayak. Any recommendations? TIA!

Nexus 2-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the Shimano Grappler type C Popping Rods ($299) for another option?

Watched a boat show launch 9" white Doc swimbaits for SB op to 48".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Price has absolutely nothing to do with casting distance.  A cheap moderate action rod will most likely cast further than a high end fast or ultra fast action rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigred78 said:

Price has absolutely nothing to do with casting distance.  A cheap moderate action rod will most likely cast further than a high end fast or ultra fast action rod.

Thank god. I thought I was wasting my money all these years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.