Brim Gribley

Converting 710z to bailless

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

Is it an easier route to attempt to convert an old 710 to bailess yourself or search for a conversion kit? any thoughts?

Thanks

It’s been several years but I believe this is a Mitchell 306 manual bale bracket and roller readily available works great

56BD65A9-C6E7-492D-AC46-786B35034F76.jpeg

I have a throw a 

17 hours ago, oldwes said:

It’s been several years but I believe this is a Mitchell 306 manual bale bracket and roller readily available works great

56BD65A9-C6E7-492D-AC46-786B35034F76.jpeg

Any idea if this will fit on a 712Z?

I have a getup I put together for my 712Z. It works... but it needs improvement. I'll post pics of what I came up with so far when I get the chance, it will probably be tomorrow. 

Any of the old Penn spin fishers can be converted to manual by cutting off the bail with a hacksaw. File the stub smooth and dress it up with emery cloth. Balance was not critical on a reel with 1 bearing. Put the Crome nut back in the side opposite of the bail roller.

21 hours ago, Brim Gribley said:

Nice! Do you prefer it bailless? Did you have to balance it out? Thanks 

Yes it’s Superior Bail less, Balanced it out with a stainless steel metric hex bolt cut down and ground flush.

A5B7EBFC-2040-4C2C-B8AA-759D888CBE81.jpegExcuse me my bad it’s not metric

3 hours ago, PistolPeteFL said:

I have a throw a 

Any idea if this will fit on a 712Z?

Sorry but I’m not familiar with the 712 Z

8 hours ago, tristate said:

Any of the old Penn spin fishers can be converted to manual by cutting off the bail with a hacksaw. File the stub smooth and dress it up with emery cloth. Balance was not critical on a reel with 1 bearing. Put the Crome nut back in the side opposite of the bail roller.

This is easy and it works fine.

10 hours ago, Brim Gribley said:

Any thoughts on a good rod to pair it up with? not breaking the bank but in the 150-200 range?

penn z's were/are heavy and therein lies your dilemma, Most modern are too light to balance well. Fwiw i use an old  Abu 8.5 ft rewrapped for braid , an original 7.6 ft ugly stick rewrapped for braid, and a discontinued St. Croix premier surf 8.5 ft. 2 pc.