flyangler

Articulated flies in the salt? Specifically, for snook on beaches?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, Sngl2th said:

I have never found snook too picky, and would often fish the same big white yak hair clouser for an entire tide at a pass in SW fl. A big mullet pattern can get bigger fish during the spawn out front. Kinky muddler or beastmaster is great as a mullet. Adding an articulated tail would be cool. I follow this account "Nautical Flies" on insta where the guy ties articulated tails that swim great. 

I don't think snook are known for short striking, and sometimes they really inhale the fly. I would imagine plug fisherman often hook them pretty deep with the treble on the back.

There certainly are times when snook will follow & not strike... that I have (unfortunately) seen.

I have no idea about snook but I find it interesting that snook, tarpon, stripers etc all seem to have different fly patterns that are basically representing the same thing. A glass minnow looks virtually the same to a silverside to me? Surely, the same generic baitfish patterns you use for Stripers would work for Snook - or am I missing something?

I have tied some worm patterns with an articulated shank for the worm hatch in the RI salt ponds. These fish can be picky, when you watch the worms they have have short undulated movements. thought the articulated fly would be more realistic. I have not noticed a difference in catches though.