flyangler

Articulated flies in the salt? Specifically, for snook on beaches?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Snook on the east coast are very different from the fish in the gulf. I'd say atlantic coast snook are more opportunistic for the most part, but we have a shorebreak to deal with. Our surf generally has more color and turbidity, and noise from breaking surf. These things make them harder to spot, but easier to feed. I have no doubt that our snook would eat an articulated fly, but it's going to look like hammered dog-snot after the first fish. I know they aren't all that interesting to tie, but a 3" synthetic profile works every time, and they can take a beating.

5 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

I don't know snook or your methods but my main takeaway from most of Kelly's stuff is how aggressively they fish. 'Pounding the bank' with 30' casts to pressured fish and jerk strips from a drift boat couldn't be more different from my striper surf scenarios.  Wondering if theres an advantage to articulated flies on the swing or if they're designed for that constant active retrieve. 

@RedGreen how did that giant deerhair articulated eel swim?  

BT, I have spent more than a few hours spanking the bank and doing the twitch-strip retrieve. No bigger blast in FW trout fishing than seeing the follow and slashing attach or a white mouth just come up out of nowhere to try to kill a big streamer. 

Well, a bigger blast is seeing a bull trout strike but we are not supposed to target bulls intentionally.....

As for jointed flies in the ocean surf, the thinking is that wave action against the fly and the line can impart action to the fly in the absence of strips. As Local66 points out, beach snook are either in the froth of the nearest trough or just beyond it. That provides a very small feeding lane and you can retrieve a lure or fly though there quite quickly. If you have current on the beach you could slow the stripping and let the fly drift a bit, extending the time in the feeding lane and making the fly look more vulnerable than strip-strip-pause, repeat. 

That’s my thinking here. 

Edited by flyangler

2 hours ago, Local66 said:

Snook on the east coast are very different from the fish in the gulf. I'd say atlantic coast snook are more opportunistic for the most part, but we have a shorebreak to deal with. Our surf generally has more color and turbidity, and noise from breaking surf. These things make them harder to spot, but easier to feed. I have no doubt that our snook would eat an articulated fly, but it's going to look like hammered dog-snot after the first fish. I know they aren't all that interesting to tie, but a 3" synthetic profile works every time, and they can take a beating.

It is clearly a thought experiment and, had it not been for the recent kerfuffle about bawdy fly names, I would likely have not thought of this question. 

Yes, a fully dressed and articulated  streamer designed for trout with lots of hair, a couple feathers and silly legs might not fair well with a snook. Yet, they are very popular with pike anglers, albeit i think flies tied for gators are likely more robust. 

But I agree, any simple minnow pattern in white or white/olive should suffice. Two of the Galloup patterns with four more traditional ties. 

63AD19BC-D883-4B70-AC22-113FFDAD2785.jpeg.7da44c39a19397dfa8244fde7c419eff.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

2 hours ago, Local66 said:

Snook on the east coast are very different from the fish in the gulf. I'd say atlantic coast snook are more opportunistic for the most part, but we have a shorebreak to deal with. Our surf generally has more color and turbidity, and noise from breaking surf. These things make them harder to spot, but easier to feed. 

I read about sight fishing on the west coast of FL and admire that capability. Much more challenging here, especially when the East wind has the surf churning. Yes, that gets the snook active and in tight, slashing in the froth even. But makes it tough to sight fish is you can’t see a fin, tail or fleeing bait. 

In the back, yes you can see them cruising. But ocean front, much more of a challenge when the wind/wave conditions are best. 

Edited by flyangler

8 hours ago, flyangler said:

It is clearly a thought experiment and, had it not been for the recent kerfuffle about bawdy fly names, I would likely have not thought of this question. 

Yes, a fully dressed and articulated  streamer designed for trout with lots of hair, a couple feathers and silly legs might not fair well with a snook. Yet, they are very popular with pike anglers, albeit i think flies tied for gators are likely more robust. 

But I agree, any simple minnow pattern in white or white/olive should suffice. Two of the Galloup patterns with four more traditional ties. 

63AD19BC-D883-4B70-AC22-113FFDAD2785.jpeg.7da44c39a19397dfa8244fde7c419eff.jpeg

I fished the  Zeigler Schminnow alot , changes I made to it was to add some weight , it just really needed less time to sink  ,replacing the mono eyes helped . 

19 hours ago, Hook I said:

I fished the  Zeigler Schminnow alot , changes I made to it was to add some weight , it just really needed less time to sink  ,replacing the mono eyes helped . 

Want to sell me a few? One the ocean, need to get them down a bit faster than in calmer water. 

9 mins ago, flyangler said:

Want to sell me a few? One the ocean, need to get them down a bit faster than in calmer water. 

I can tye them for you and mail them down but no purchase.  ., # 1 & 1/0 hooks  BFD and I went back and forth about them when he was on Sanibel I fished St Pete.  The weight on the eye change bead chain, or wraps both work good . It really catches , 90% my fishing is beach unless I take a charter . I’ve taken Cobia & Reds , Spanish on the Gulf .  PM your address . Be my pleasure . 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:47 AM, flyangler said:

I read about sight fishing on the west coast of FL and admire that capability. Much more challenging here, especially when the East wind has the surf churning. Yes, that gets the snook active and in tight, slashing in the froth even. But makes it tough to sight fish is you can’t see a fin, tail or fleeing bait. 

In the back, yes you can see them cruising. But ocean front, much more of a challenge when the wind/wave conditions are best. 

I still sight cast the majority of my snook in the surf. They aren't found exclusively in the shorebreak, sometimes I'll even wade out to the sandbar to keep the sun at my back and give me a better perspective on what's pushing down the beach. Often I'll see some small bait dancing like bacon grease in the shorebreak, or just the silhouette of a tail. It's enough some days.

3 hours ago, Local66 said:

I still sight cast the majority of my snook in the surf. They aren't found exclusively in the shorebreak, sometimes I'll even wade out to the sandbar to keep the sun at my back and give me a better perspective on what's pushing down the beach. Often I'll see some small bait dancing like bacon grease in the shorebreak, or just the silhouette of a tail. It's enough some days.

Yes, it works particularly when the sun is high or past zenith. My early morning dawn fishing makes siting a challenge though skittish bait and fins help. 

I have never found snook too picky, and would often fish the same big white yak hair clouser for an entire tide at a pass in SW fl. A big mullet pattern can get bigger fish during the spawn out front. Kinky muddler or beastmaster is great as a mullet. Adding an articulated tail would be cool. I follow this account "Nautical Flies" on insta where the guy ties articulated tails that swim great. 

I don't think snook are known for short striking, and sometimes they really inhale the fly. I would imagine plug fisherman often hook them pretty deep with the treble on the back.

I have had some success with a articulated shrimp gurggler. Works well in the dark for a variety of fish. I have caught many stripers in the trough with these. I picked this up from Steve Colton’s web site and played around with it a bit. I must say they don’t hold up well after the fish get bigger, but who cares. 

Given the success of swimbaits for snook I can't see how gamechangers wouldn't work. A 10" gamechanger would probably do pretty well for the larger specimens. 

I am actually experimenting with the mega articulation for Stripers. I've been messing around with Blane Chocklett T-Bone musky fly and some of Gunnar Brammer variations of the articulated bulkhead weedless style on the new Ahrex swimbait hooks. His take on creating modulated flies with detachable wiggle tails or flash tails is awesome.