tanktroll

Strobe recommendation?

12 posts in this topic

I would like to buy a small strobe to clip on to my PFD at night. I carry flares in my yak to comply with the coast guard regs but in an emergency they are going to be tough to get. Ideally looking for something small that won't get in the way or get tangled in line.

31 mins ago, tanktroll said:

I would like to buy a small strobe to clip on to my PFD at night. I carry flares in my yak to comply with the coast guard regs but in an emergency they are going to be tough to get. Ideally looking for something small that won't get in the way or get tangled in line.

Do you mean something just for emergencies or a light that would be on and flashing anytime it was dark? The latter is not CG compliant, flashing lights are just for emergencies and navigation aids.  If it's just for emergencies a lot of the PLB beacons also have a strobe. For normal night fishing a steady white light on a short mast is appropriate, we are considered anchored even in motion and do not require running lights.

Posted (edited)

Welcome TT .... are you sure CG regs require flares on a yak?

I believe they do, unless I am missing an exception somewhere else:

33 CFR § 175.110 Visual distress signals required.

(a) No person may use a boat 16 feet or more in length, or any boat operating as an uninspected passenger vessel subject to the requirements of 46 CFR chapter I, subchapter C, unless visual distress signals selected from the list in § 175.130 or the alternatives in § 175.135, in the number required, are onboard. Devices suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, or devices suitable for both day and night use, must be carried.

(b) Between sunset and sunrise, no person may use a boat less than 16 feet in length unless visual distress signals suitable for night use, selected from the list in § 175.130 or § 175.135, in the number required, are on board.
[CGD 76-183, 44 FR 73024, Dec. 17, 1979, as amended by USCG-1999-5040, 67 FR 34760, May 15, 2002]

33 CFR § 175.115 Exceptions.

The following persons need not comply with § 175.110; however, each must carry on board visual distress signals suitable for night use, selected from the list in § 175.130 or § 175.135, in the number required, between sunset and sunrise:

(a) A person competing in any organized marine parade, regatta, race, or similar event;

(b) A person using a manually propelled boat; or

(c) A person using a sailboat of completely open construction, not equipped with propulsion machinery, under 26′ in length.

Edit: I should specify that I am talking about kayaking at night. No requirement for flares during the day.

Edited by tanktroll

Just now, gellfex said:

Do you mean something just for emergencies or a light that would be on and flashing anytime it was dark? The latter is not CG compliant, flashing lights are just for emergencies and navigation aids.  If it's just for emergencies a lot of the PLB beacons also have a strobe. For normal night fishing a steady white light on a short mast is appropriate, we are considered anchored even in motion and do not require running lights.

Just for emergencies, my thinking being that I don't currently have a good way to signal my position if I am ever in the water separated from my kayak. I don't want to rely solely on a headlamp or flashlight.

24 mins ago, tanktroll said:

Just for emergencies, my thinking being that I don't currently have a good way to signal my position if I am ever in the water separated from my kayak. I don't want to rely solely on a headlamp or flashlight.

Maybe a handheld VHF radio with a built in strobe is the right item. Mine doesn't have it, but it seems like a good idea and gets you even more communication options.

Posted (edited)

If you are using it for emergencies and to be spotted at night, I'd recommend a strobe with a red option.  NVGs pick up red lights brighter than other lights.

Edited by HydroSpider

I have a uniden, its a floater & has a strobe, the strobes really not that big,  I can't imagine it could be seen from too far away?

I tried reading up on it, wasn't really informative but I was always under the impression beforehand  that the built in strobes on these handheld units were so the radio could be found if it went into the drink in a man overboard situation?  

Seems like only the floaters have them, I could be wrong...

Maybe someone has a vhf strobe experience? 

My VHF has a flash feature but it wouldn't be any good for this purpose. It just flashes the screen backlight. Maybe good for locating it if you drop it in the water nearby, but I am looking for something that could be seen from a mile+ distance.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, tanktroll said:

My VHF has a flash feature but it wouldn't be any good for this purpose. It just flashes the screen backlight. Maybe good for locating it if you drop it in the water nearby, but I am looking for something that could be seen from a mile+ distance.

LOL, yeah, I've never understood why they make these things black instead of safety orange or yellow so you could see them if they're floating away. I actually wrapped yellow electrical tape around the antenna of mine just in case. Garmin makes their Intouch satcom units in both black and orange.