Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

On 4/26/2021 at 10:26 AM, ermghoti said:

The 37 came on my lightest rod that day, A Cabela's Predator 1 3/4 TC model, basically a 15lb  line class rod. I couldn't sat as far as I wanted with that rod, the hookup was dumb luck, but we had chummed manaically to bring them in and hold them, so to some extent it was work paying off as well. It was on a broad flat, so I could wade a bit, fortunately. The rod was bending right through the reel seat.

Carp are omnivorous opportunists, so they will mill about, and graze when hungry. "When hungry" is going to be affected by temperature and atmoshperic conditions, stress/pressure, and so on. So, you might expect to see a feed at dawn, a slowdown after, maybe a mid-day bite, an evening and/or dusk bite, another flurry or two throughout the night, and repeat. In low temperatures, the early and night bites might not happen (or at least, not in shallow enough water to locate them from shore). In hot weather, the night and dawn may be the whole shebang. If there is a ton of traffic and fishing during the day, you'll see more action at night as well.

It seems like bringing a light setup is just daring a big fish to take it! Judging by what you wrote, I'm guessing my success during the day stems a lot from the areas I fish not really seeing any traffic, or fishing at all. To many big lay downs for canoe or kayak traffic, and the only other fisherman are the occasional pike guy. I'm definatly going to work some night trips in this season. Now I'm curious to see what goes down after dark.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, McNizzles said:

Finally got some interest past couple days. Was able to get video too, no one believed I was catching fish like that lol. They stay in this area for only a month as far as I can tell. 

F1A6070E-57DE-4E8B-86BD-7BC47F7144F0.png

Nice fish! did you get a weight?

It’s been a slow year for me. Haven’t had a lot of time . Tonight was surprising. I have been fishing my neighborhood subdivision pond regularly . Last year 8555FDEC-17AC-495D-AC80-42894DF0DD12.jpeg.7b3a18df7530272022563127c62fd0c6.jpegit gave me 30 carp , this year nothing . 
  Finally got on board tonight . I did a few days of just baiting . Tonight I fished it . Both rods went off seconds apart . Had a nice little two rod battle , both with 4lb mono . 

On 5/20/2021 at 10:17 PM, McNizzles said:

No weight, I have honestly been guessing about 20# for some.

I got one last summer, it took 3 trips and 8 hours that is still my best. The pictures stunk, and I wasn’t prepared so I let it be. 
I got these two today. I had a bigger one but messed up the video 

067A0983-2100-4EC1-B2A7-E663818F3E96.jpeg

DD9D7575-14F8-452C-8A52-2A4AD9701824.jpeg

Just judging by the pictures, I would say both fish are on the better side of 20#. Nicely done, sir!

On 5/20/2021 at 10:17 PM, McNizzles said:

No weight, I have honestly been guessing about 20# for some.

I got one last summer, it took 3 trips and 8 hours that is still my best. The pictures stunk, and I wasn’t prepared so I let it be. 
I got these two today. I had a bigger one but messed up the video 

067A0983-2100-4EC1-B2A7-E663818F3E96.jpeg

DD9D7575-14F8-452C-8A52-2A4AD9701824.jpeg

What a beautiful face!  this is the season when they lay in the grasses and look prehistoric. nice

I just spent a week at Smith Mountain Lake in rural Virginia...first trip ever down that way. The bluegills on tiny inline spinners and  miniature top water on ultralight gear were fun...and plentiful....but the largemouth wouldn't take a lure...they ignored everything we threw from the box. Another strange thing...the carp. I awoke at daybreak on Thursday to hear a lot of thrashing under the boat docks in our cove. Seemed the carp...lots of big ones...were cruising around under the docks and periodically smashing against the pilings or undersides...loosening a great deal of leaves and debris. And they ignored every lure... just like the bass. Knowing nothing about carp...is this a feeding behavior? Some sort of courting ritual?

9 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

I just spent a week at Smith Mountain Lake in rural Virginia...first trip ever down that way. The bluegills on tiny inline spinners and  miniature top water on ultralight gear were fun...and plentiful....but the largemouth wouldn't take a lure...they ignored everything we threw from the box. Another strange thing...the carp. I awoke at daybreak on Thursday to hear a lot of thrashing under the boat docks in our cove. Seemed the carp...lots of big ones...were cruising around under the docks and periodically smashing against the pilings or undersides...loosening a great deal of leaves and debris. And they ignored every lure... just like the bass. Knowing nothing about carp...is this a feeding behavior? Some sort of courting ritual?

Being that this happened in Virginia, I would guess the spawn there has ended, and the fish are now hungry after not eating for a while. There is is probably some type of aquatic insects, or algae in the leaves they have zeroed in on. Once they're focused on a particular food, it's hard to get them interested on anything else.

Since they do root around (pun was happy coincidence) the feeding premise is probably right.

I've seen them swim into shallows with the top 3rd of their bodies exposed, all in an attempt to root thru shoreline weed clumps.

I've also seen the rooting with their tails sticking out of the water like a redfish does.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

18 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

They are spawning.  The male is bumping the female at the surface to get her to release more eggs.   The eggs are sticky and would attach to the debris, then hatch in a few days.