Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

2 hours ago, justafisher said:

Thats what I like about carp fishing , so many different techniques. I never use more than 1 oz , I ussually use 1/4 oz . But I fish mostly margins and close to medium ranges . It’s always a running rig on a tight line for me . 
  I run baitrunners and never set the hook just come tight to the fish . A sharp hook is as important as anything . 

Yes, that's an entirely different method, I was talking about the bolt rig specifically. Your setup reminds me of the paylaker's rig.

I've caught a ton with rod in hand, in a current, no weight, or the smallest split shot that will keep you around the bottom. Watch your line and learn what's a bit of wave or wind at what is a fish.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

3 hours ago, justafisher said:

I run baitrunners and never set the hook just come tight to the fish . A sharp hook is as important as anything . 

Baitrunners

Key word for carp fishing.

Not saying that other reel won't work but ....

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

2 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Yes, that's an entirely different method, I was talking about the bolt rig specifically. Your setup reminds me of the paylaker's rig.

I've caught a ton with rod in hand, in a current, no weight, or the smallest split shot that will keep you around the bottom. Watch your line and learn what's a bit of wave or wind at what is a fish.

Had to look up paylakers rig . It is similar . I still consider my rig a bolt rig. As the carp attempt to blow it out and is hooked when it bolts . 
     I have never had much luck with fixed weights ,  as the carp always seem use the weight to shake the hook free . I will admit I haven’t put in the time with it . 

9 hours ago, justafisher said:

Had to look up paylakers rig . It is similar . I still consider my rig a bolt rig. As the carp attempt to blow it out and is hooked when it bolts . 
     I have never had much luck with fixed weights ,  as the carp always seem use the weight to shake the hook free . I will admit I haven’t put in the time with it . 

You can have a bolt rig without a hair rig, but a 1/4 oz sinker running on the mainline isn't going to set the hook. You're relying on line tension. With 2 oz and up, as soon as the carp "flinches" from contact with the hookpoint, it's set past the barb, if not to the bend.

I can't recall a carp shaking a hook using the weight as a pendulum, ever. I land virtually everything I hook unless it makes it to a snag, unless my rig has a demonstrable flaw. I use weight to 4oz regularly, and hooks as small as #10. 

Edit: to be clear, I am never using a truly fixed sinker, but employing a lead clip or an inline sinker or cage with a swivel sleeve.

Edited by ermghoti

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

18 mins ago, ermghoti said:

You can have a bolt rig without a hair rig, but a 1/4 oz sinker running on the mainline isn't going to set the hook. You're relying on line tension. With 2 oz and up, as soon as the carp "flinches" from contact with the hookpoint, it's set past the barb, if not to the bend.

I can't recall a carp shaking a hook using the weight as a pendulum, ever. I land virtually everything I hook unless it makes it to a snag, unless my rig has a demonstrable flaw. I use weight to 4oz regularly, and hooks as small as #10. 

All that makes sense . And I’ve caught hundreds of carp on my running rig . It’s just a confidence thing I’m sure . I use for all kinds of rigs , multi rigs , Ronnie’s , blowback . The running rig also lets me know when something other than a carp picks off the corn . 

IMG_5637.jpeg.33cc1673398a2acf0e92df0a37356f22.jpeg

Scratching my head with you guys.

Am I the only one that fishes feeder most of the time?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

On 4/4/2024 at 12:03 PM, ermghoti said:

You're using enough weight? I wouldn't use less than 2oz, and I keep it fixed to the swivel with a safety clip. You just might get away with 1oz and a tight line, but that would be pushing it.

2-3oz, fixed as you say with a safety clip.. 

The fish I land are on one of two rigs - spring method feeder with single hook and no other weight, or a paternoster rig with the spring and one hook at bottom, another with a different bait above, just to hedge my bets. Usually fish on these will hook themselves and run, occasionally I will strike if a fish has been fiddling with the bait for long enough. 
or, I'm flyfishing and sight fishing.. but often the fish aren't shallow and the flyfishing isn't possible. 

On 4/5/2024 at 2:01 PM, Popasilov said:

Baitrunners

Key word for carp fishing.

Not saying that other reel won't work but ....

I don't use a bait runner. My main reel is a Spinfisher V.  Typically when I set my rig, I set the rod in the "Y" stick about a 1/3rd down from the tip, parallel to the bank. Then, I let out enough slack so the line is just grazing the ground. This seems to be enough to drive the circle hook when the fish bolts with the bait.

9 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

I don't use a bait runner. My main reel is a Spinfisher V.

I learn my lesson, after chasing rod and reel few times, when I was a kid.

With baitrunner, I can relax, drink my coffee, watch birds, reed book or do my Sudoku.

All of this while fishing.

- Henry Ford-

4 mins ago, Popasilov said:

I learn my lesson, after chasing rod and reel few times, when I was a kid.

With baitrunner, I can relax, drink my coffee, watch birds, reed book or do my Sudoku.

All of this while fishing.

You certainly have to pay attention, and keep the rod within a quick grab. I fish some pretty snaggy areas, so trying to keep the fish in the channel is a must. When they're hooked, they bee line straight for the snags, so my strategy is more out of necessity than it is preference. Have you ever had a fish take your rig into the drink?

16 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Have you ever had a fish take your rig into the drink?

Not anymore

- Henry Ford-

1 hour ago, bigfish4me said:

I just go at it with a can of corn

I am making my own "secret "recipe pack bait for feeder.

I use a lot popup because most of the bottom where  I fish is covered with weed and grass

- Henry Ford-