Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

7 hours ago, Mummichog said:

That's the thing.  I usually cast to the area that I see them.  Because I know they are there.  :D   Probably the same as a palamino trout.  And why they don't like to bite either.  Perhaps I should take notice of an area they frequent and cast there when they are not there.  I notice that they travel around and are in the same place about every 20 minutes or so.

Get some chum in there, fish a bolt rig with a very short leadr, not more than 4", and get away from the bank while you wait. Fishing at night may help, if possible.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

18 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

Depending on river level and temps in another 3 or 4 weeks you have an open invitation…. Short ride to sanatoga.

Sounds good.  Yes, a very short ride.  One I do often.  This year, I cross the walleye and carp off the list?   :)

I have a few Key species that I need to cross off the list, too.  Cobia, bonefish and sail.  I'll probably miss the sails and cobia again this year but maybe I'll get that bone.    

On 3/29/2024 at 2:23 PM, justafisher said:

This is what the hair rig is for . It hooks them as they blow it out . As in fishing with corn , boilie , tiger nut , doughbait . They look themselves .

it's a nice theory ;-)
never yet landed a fish on the hair rig, several hookups but the hook always pulls out. 

On 3/29/2024 at 1:03 PM, DougK said:

this is important.. typically they will look at a stationary bait from several different angles, pick it up and blow it out a couple of times, before deciding to eat. The decision may take some time ;-) 
One of the old school English carp fishers was 'BB', aka Denys James Watkins-Pitchford. He kept carp in his backyard pond and observed them feeding, saw just this behavior. 
With flies I've seen them attack vigorously on a few rare occasions, typically on crawfish patterns. Usually there is just an instant when they pick it up, that is when you have to strike, and the timing on this is difficult. I miss a lot of fish, striking too early, too late, too sideways, something. 

My mom would've called them picky eaters. 

Pfantum Pfishah

It is not just theory, lol

Game changer

All depending how rig is made.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

On 4/1/2024 at 7:32 PM, Popasilov said:

It is not just theory, lol

Game changer

All depending how rig is made.

This. The difference the Hair Rig made for me was night and day.

My season is off to a rough start. All my prime spots are blown out due to all the rain. At this rate, I'll be lucky to get to them by May.:(

I hear you

16 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

This. The difference the Hair Rig made for me was night and day.

My season is off to a rough start. All my prime spots are blown out due to all the rain. At this rate, I'll be lucky to get to them by May.:(

I didn't have a chance to go out to ponds or lakes at all, yet. I did pass by my "nemesis" pond and observed few shadows slowly moving.

I used Sunday, first day fishing this year,  to hit a local beach for a few hours.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

5 mins ago, Popasilov said:

I used Sunday, first day fishing this year,  to hit a local beach for a few hours.

My first trip out was a couple of weeks ago, on the beach as well. Didn't expect any action, but it was a good opportunity to " re educate" the thumb after the off season. 

1 hour ago, KarpsnKatz said:

but it was a good opportunity to " re educate" the thumb after the off season. 

And the shoulder, too.

:hi5:

- Henry Ford-

On 4/1/2024 at 6:41 PM, DougK said:

it's a nice theory ;-)
never yet landed a fish on the hair rig, several hookups but the hook always pulls out. 

Tune your rig, use sharp, properly sized hooks. The hair should keep the bait just off the hook band. If you're missing after getting the hair right, adjust the leader length. Complete misses are usually too long a leader, too short results in a shallow hookset that pulls out in the fight.

Edited by ermghoti

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

19 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Tune your rig, use sharp, properly sized hooks.

thanks - I've tried a couple of different commercially-tied rigs, as well as my own ties, with a variety of hooks. So far have not found the right combinations.. 
mostly used with bolt rig and safety, so maybe need to try some other rigs.. 

1 hour ago, DougK said:

thanks - I've tried a couple of different commercially-tied rigs, as well as my own ties, with a variety of hooks. So far have not found the right combinations.. 
mostly used with bolt rig and safety, so maybe need to try some other rigs.. 

You're using enough weight? I wouldn't use less than 2oz, and I keep it fixed to the swivel with a safety clip. You just might get away with 1oz and a tight line, but that would be pushing it.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

20 hours ago, ermghoti said:

You're using enough weight? I wouldn't use less than 2oz, and I keep it fixed to the swivel with a safety clip. You just might get away with 1oz and a tight line, but that would be pushing it.

Thats what I like about carp fishing , so many different techniques. I never use more than 1 oz , I ussually use 1/4 oz . But I fish mostly margins and close to medium ranges . It’s always a running rig on a tight line for me . 
  I run baitrunners and never set the hook just come tight to the fish . A sharp hook is as important as anything .