Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

Way to go and way to start a season.

That is a river carp, right?

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

I've never caught a carp.  I've seen them turn their noses up at my offerings.  Corn and dough balls mostly.  I use a long, light fluorocarbon leader and the hook is completely hidden.  They swim up and turn away.  I don't know what the secret is.

Secret is

Keep trying

Edited by Popasilov

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

On 3/25/2024 at 3:32 PM, justafisher said:

Had a couple today .

BTW

Where did you get yellow stoppers for corn?

- Henry Ford-

took one bass fishing on a Berkley 10" motor oil worm by accident , almost 38"  had one on a fly but wrapped me around the fountain in the town pond ..missed so many ... a few rats but they were stupid small ..think about them often , one Asian woman fishers for them daily ..makes her own balls her father taught her , fished with him for a long time great guy , she is a good angler . 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

1 hour ago, justafisher said:

Big Carp Tackle 

I don't like them

I use carp angler a lot.

- Henry Ford-

Ok, I'm ready with my newish float for the river.

I plan to fish my local eddy, for good or bad, I'll learn thus area. I've seen good sign here, so worth it...

I know it hold carp, cats and muskie. 

Tomorrow I'll sit there in the boat and smoke cigars!

I've got tackle, but lack technique and experience. 

I've gathered some good info here and appreciate any additional info and "how to"

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Mummichog said:

I've never caught a carp.  I've seen them turn their noses up at my offerings.  Corn and dough balls mostly.  I use a long, light fluorocarbon leader and the hook is completely hidden.  They swim up and turn away.  I don't know what the secret is.

If you can see them, they can see you. They are foragers rather than hunters, and don't usually reaction strike, but make a decision to consume something. There at least anecdotal stories of them retaining memories for a long time**, so if they got caught or hooked in shallow water when Tall Shadows were around, they may be next to impossible to catch sight fishing.

**A somewhat dubious example is of a very large carp was caught in England centuries ago, and lived in the KIng's pond/zoo for people to marvel at. Visitors would feed it, and it would eagerly gobble almost anything offered, but never bread crusts... the bait it was captured with.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

46 mins ago, ermghoti said:

If you can see them, they can see you. They are foragers rather than hunters, and don't usually reaction strike, but make a decision to consume something.

That's the thing.  I usually cast to the area that I see them.  Because I know they are there.  :D   Probably the same as a palamino trout.  And why they don't like to bite either.  Perhaps I should take notice of an area they frequent and cast there when they are not there.  I notice that they travel around and are in the same place about every 20 minutes or so.

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

If you can see them, they can see you. They are foragers rather than hunters, and don't usually reaction strike, but make a decision to consume something.

this is important.. typically they will look at a stationary bait from several different angles, pick it up and blow it out a couple of times, before deciding to eat. The decision may take some time ;-) 
One of the old school English carp fishers was 'BB', aka Denys James Watkins-Pitchford. He kept carp in his backyard pond and observed them feeding, saw just this behavior. 
With flies I've seen them attack vigorously on a few rare occasions, typically on crawfish patterns. Usually there is just an instant when they pick it up, that is when you have to strike, and the timing on this is difficult. I miss a lot of fish, striking too early, too late, too sideways, something. 

On 3/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, Mummichog said:

Depending on river level and temps in another 3 or 4 weeks you have an open invitation…. Short ride to sanatoga.

9BDA6FB7-6342-43BB-9A1D-E9CCBFF41330.jpeg

3 hours ago, DougK said:

this is important.. typically they will look at a stationary bait from several different angles, pick it up and blow it out a couple of times, before deciding to eat. The decision may take some time ;-) 
One of the old school English carp fishers was 'BB', aka Denys James Watkins-Pitchford. He kept carp in his backyard pond and observed them feeding, saw just this behavior. 
With flies I've seen them attack vigorously on a few rare occasions, typically on crawfish patterns. Usually there is just an instant when they pick it up, that is when you have to strike, and the timing on this is difficult. I miss a lot of fish, striking too early, too late, too sideways, something. 

This is what the hair rig is for . It hooks them as they blow it out . As in fishing with corn , boilie , tiger nut , doughbait . They look themselves .