Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else here fish for carp in the winter in the northeast? Interested to see what works for you. My local ponds are not frozen over and am heading out tomorrow. I usually fish with corn and/or bread threaded directly onto my hook which is a problem with nuissance fish most of the year but not so much now.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, we're going down

24 mins ago, Quonnie said:

Nymph weighted and unweighted crayfish patterns work as well 

tough fish to get on a fly rod 

but Hugh reward 

skittish

go to the Orvis learning center and there are podcasts about it

i do it before going bonefish so I can get used to being humiliated 

Are you sight fishing to the carp?   Area I fish is very murky and I can sight fish to them only when I bring them up top, hence the bread fly.   If water is really settled I can sometimes see them on bottom but it would be mostly blind casting.  

Sight fishing 

Winter will be tough their metabolism slows down so much they don’t feed often 

tie a “bread” fly out of foam and dry fly fish hang a nymph off the back in a “hopper dropper” fashion just be careful of where you land it it will probably plop down 

carp are very wary adversaries 

Amd I would check out that Orvis learning center Rosenbauer loves fishing for carp and gas done a number of podcasts on fly fishing for carp

May be a stupid question. But I'll ask anyways.  

I really don't want to go down the hair rig, speciality road.   I'm lazy. I like to chill. 

Toss some bait and stare at clouds kinda guy, well sometimes.  

I've got a few spots staked out. I'm fine with pre baiting.   I usually throw out some balls of meal/fish oil anyways. 

I'll probably toss red worms threaded on a small circle hook with a sliding egg sinker.   

Waste of time for carp??  

I really don't care what I catch.  I'm just happy to be out there.  

I'm also debating on buying a cheap carp rod.  I have a 8.5ft travel rod I use alot for light salt water stuff.  But was eyeballing a $30 ebay rod. Has 3 different tips.   Might be good for tossin baits.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

26 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

May be a stupid question. But I'll ask anyways.  

I really don't want to go down the hair rig, speciality road.   I'm lazy. I like to chill. 

Toss some bait and stare at clouds kinda guy, well sometimes.  

I've got a few spots staked out. I'm fine with pre baiting.   I usually throw out some balls of meal/fish oil anyways. 

I'll probably toss red worms threaded on a small circle hook with a sliding egg sinker.   

Waste of time for carp??  

I really don't care what I catch.  I'm just happy to be out there.  

I'm also debating on buying a cheap carp rod.  I have a 8.5ft travel rod I use alot for light salt water stuff.  But was eyeballing a $30 ebay rod. Has 3 different tips.   Might be good for tossin baits.  

You can catch just fine doing that.  Worms are gonna get ya lots of other species though.

If you have a spot with carp already there I like to use corn.  Bait the area with a good bit for a few days in a row.  The carp will learn to feed there.  Use the same for bait.

Be stealthy carp spook off the feed easy. They may not take off but they will stop eating.

Good luck

I fish fine

look stupid 

5 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Thanks @Captain Ahab  what hooks do u like for them

I am by no means a carp expert.  I fish for them maybe 2 times a year as a lark

I use small baitholder hooks that I use for bluegills.  I know my carp friends use Owner hooks made for carp.  Small size but strong 

I think size 2 or 4 is most common

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

Just now, Captain Ahab said:

I am by no means a carp expert.  I fish for them maybe 2 times a year as a lark

I use small baitholder hooks that I use for bluegills.  I know my carp friends use Owner hooks made for carp.  Small size but strong 

This is where I'll be.  Just something fun.  A nice fight followed by a quick release.