Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

19 hours ago, AmericanStriper said:

So does that means you can catch carp in salt water, as in the case of the Hudson river? Maybe South of Tappan Zee bridge or GWB?

They can tolerate brackish water. My google says 6g/L is no problem, they can live in 12g/L with adaptations.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

12 hours ago, Carpniels said:

I'm not completely sure on the history, but these long rods started to be used in England in the 1950s (Bruce and Walker Mark IV rods) which were 10 ft long. The soft rods allowed for casting longer distances with soft baits and had a lot of 'give' so the hook would pull out of the carp lips during landing. I'm sure the older fishing lines and hooks were also kinda weak compared to current materials. The longer rods also allowed you to steer the carp after hooking it so it wouldn't get caught in snags around the smallish ponds that people used to fish for carp in the 20th century in England. Or you could drop your bait ever so gently over the reeds on the bank in front of you.

Then when rods went from glass to carbon, the length was increased to cast even further. So 12 ft became the standards as a 2-piece will nicely fit in a holdall and then in the back of your subcompact Vauxhall hatchback or station wagon.

Thanks - Carpniels

It might be also noted that a lot of English carp fishing is/was on privately stocked impoundments, where a ticket gave you access to short section of bank. Casting distance greatly affected the ability to cover water, as you couldn't simply get up and move. These days, the cushioning effect still matters, especially if you're running braid. There is the steering advantage, but that has to be weighed against the maneuverability cost. My main carp rods are 12', but there's a lot to be said in US wild water fishing for something more like 8'. I have almost certainly caught more carp under 50 feet than over 50 yards.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

• 2 weeks later...

grew up fishing bait for them in S. Africa, where they are considered a game fish much as in Europe.. mostly fish fly these days, my pb carp is actually on the fly, 

carpChat_0529.jpg.22e29b7ef4d56919a057438e7c67807b.jpg

didn't get a weight but based on length 36" and girth, in the region of 25-30lbs. There were two of them cruising and snapping up drifting bits of sucker spawn, used a spawn fly, the smaller of the two fish grabbed it.. 

There's a pond nearby with 40lb carp but I can't figure them out, bait or fly.. too many crawfish in there I think, the fish are so well fed they just give my baits and flies a disdainful side-eye.. get one of the smaller ones, every year or two. 

619bcd0061d79_carpsplattepond0715bigyellow.jpg.aac521b9e631ed33502ddb71cef60d3e.jpg

also 36" but skinnier. 

Back in SA we'd catch some from a nice clear lake, mom would bake them with asparagus and white sauce. Those were good.. 

I fish carp some. My backyard is loaded with them at times. KHzfKIDf-1726891946.jpeg.d88895c175c99da43247e47d105793a4.jpeg

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.

8 hours ago, DougK said:

grew up fishing bait for them in S. Africa, where they are considered a game fish much as in Europe.. mostly fish fly these days, my pb carp is actually on the fly, 

carpChat_0529.jpg.22e29b7ef4d56919a057438e7c67807b.jpg

didn't get a weight but based on length 36" and girth, in the region of 25-30lbs. There were two of them cruising and snapping up drifting bits of sucker spawn, used a spawn fly, the smaller of the two fish grabbed it.. 

There's a pond nearby with 40lb carp but I can't figure them out, bait or fly.. too many crawfish in there I think, the fish are so well fed they just give my baits and flies a disdainful side-eye.. get one of the smaller ones, every year or two. 

619bcd0061d79_carpsplattepond0715bigyellow.jpg.aac521b9e631ed33502ddb71cef60d3e.jpg

also 36" but skinnier. 

Back in SA we'd catch some from a nice clear lake, mom would bake them with asparagus and white sauce. Those were good.. 

Carp on the fly! Thats cool. The top fish is a beast.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, jerseycat9 said:

Both times it happened were in April.

Thanks. At certain times of the year, they can be a little more predatory than they are given credit for. I find them more willing to hit live bait or lures right after ice out, and right after the spawn when they are starving and need a protein fix, and again in the fall when trying to fatten up. Interesting stuff.

I will pitch small curly tail grubs or trout magnets at them in April and May. Find them right at the rivers edge nosing the bank after a good rain. I really need to try to get one with the fly rod this year. 

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.