Jump to content

Carp Fishing? who does or did?


RAW

Recommended Posts

7 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Discount store yoga mat? If you're not laying them on rocks or pavement, you can get a weigh sling pretty cheap.

these are also great ideas. I'm sure the wife has a yoga mat around here somewhere. I'll have to look for that. The weigh sling is also another good option. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KarpsnKatz said:

these are also great ideas. I'm sure the wife has a yoga mat around here somewhere. I'll have to look for that. The weigh sling is also another good option. Thanks!

I was checking around, you can get a mat about as cheap as a sling. Check Big Carp Tackle. The site's not great to navigate, but they have a few choices under $30. I have one very much like the "Dinsmores," probably the same OEM. You can roll it tight, squeezing out the air to travel or store compactly, but it poofs right back up when you unroll it. $8 plus shipping. Again, if you're placing them on grass/mud, the sling would be just as good, and, you know, nice for weighing them.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi KnK,

 

That photo is of my third son. He was 10 years old in 2016 and fishing by himself early June to catch SMB, perch or rock bass. He cast towards the deep and hooked this on a 2-inch Storm shad on a 6-ft Ugly stick with 6-lb mono on a Shimano Sierra. Drag was sent right, lake is clear with no obstacles, so he landed it with my help after one of his friends that came by saw it and ran over to the house to get me. 42 inch, 26 pound. Largest I've even seen from our local lake.

 

Thanks - Carpniels

 

P.S. the mat he's sitting on is the Therm-a-rest that I talked about! Purple.

Fisherman with 4 sons. I hope they all catch the 'bug' so I have a good excuse to leave the house and go fishing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Carpniels said:

Hi KnK,

 

That photo is of my third son. He was 10 years old in 2016 and fishing by himself early June to catch SMB, perch or rock bass. He cast towards the deep and hooked this on a 2-inch Storm shad on a 6-ft Ugly stick with 6-lb mono on a Shimano Sierra. Drag was sent right, lake is clear with no obstacles, so he landed it with my help after one of his friends that came by saw it and ran over to the house to get me. 42 inch, 26 pound. Largest I've even seen from our local lake.

 

Thanks - Carpniels

 

P.S. the mat he's sitting on is the Therm-a-rest that I talked about! Purple.

That’s a great story! It’s even more impressive that he caught it on such light tackle. That takes skill. Congratulations to him on such an impressive catch!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Popasilov said:

Just reminded me of all yelling I used to get as a kid, eating black mulberries.

They will leave stains on your cloths, very hard to wash.

And marks on your hands and face would stay for days on.

 

PS

Some people were using  (still do) mulberries to make a brandy.

Good stuff

 

 

 

We had white mulberry in my yard as a kid, and down by the river and streams both white and purple.  Loved them.  We'd try to net the carp that came up for them when you shook an overhanging branch.  Was pretty cool.   

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

 

We had white mulberry in my yard as a kid, and down by the river and streams both white and purple.  Loved them.  We'd try to net the carp that came up for them when you shook an overhanging branch.  Was pretty cool.   

Same here

At grandparents house, we had a big, white mulberry tree.

Black/purple were very common around the small streams and around few springs that we had in the village.

Sadly, most of those trees are gone today.

 

 

 Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

 

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 min ago, Popasilov said:

Same here

At grandparents house, we had a big, white mulberry tree.

Black/purple were very common around the small streams and around few springs that we had in the village.

Sadly, most of those trees are gone today.

 

 

 

I know we cut ours (in the backyard) down in the 90's.   

 

I may go to Danerts and over the bridge to Wallington to check them out!  I bet there are still plenty.  

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh boy

Would I love to climb those threes, eat black mulberries and get stains all over my face.

Happy days

 Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

 

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Walked the Saddle river sight fishing for carp late day/ early evening with my angling addicted son.  

 

We found a couple spots with a few carp, so we chummed a little, casted, waited, recasted, adjusted...

 

15 - 20 carp came and went in groups of 2-5.  None huge like we saw in other locations the past couple weeks, but plenty of fish.  

 

We came to the conclusion that carp dont eat, and they cannot be caught.  

 

It was actually a lot of fun.  I'll post pics of the bait and rigs we tied up some time when i get a chance tomorrow, maybe you can all chime in and ridicule/give advice etc.  

 

FWIW, that river/stream has cleaned up quite a bit from back when i was a kid.  We were in and amongst quite a wide range of wildlife.  it was great to see that suburban/nearly urban area doing so well. 

Edited by 55555s

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, 55555s said:

Walked the Saddle river sight fishing for carp late day/ early evening with my angling addicted son.  

 

We found a couple spots with a few carp, so we chummed a little, casted, waited, recasted, adjusted...

 

15 - 20 carp came and went in groups of 2-5.  None huge like we saw in other locations the past couple weeks, but plenty of fish.  

 

We came to the conclusion that carp dont eat, and they cannot be caught.  

 

It was actually a lot of fun.  I'll post pics of the bait and rigs we tied up some time when i get a chance tomorrow, maybe you can all chime in and ridicule/give advice etc.  

 

FWIW, that river/stream has cleaned up quite a bit from back when i was a kid.  We were in and amongst quite a wide range of wildlife.  it was great to see that suburban/nearly urban area doing so well. 

When I walk up to a spot, and see Carp either cruising or hanging near the surface, I Know I'm in for a tough day. When I walk up to the same spot, and don't see them, that tells me they put the feed bags on, and are on the bottom. Usually, I hit some fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

When I walk up to a spot, and see Carp either cruising or hanging near the surface, I Know I'm in for a tough day. When I walk up to the same spot, and don't see them, that tells me they put the feed bags on, and are on the bottom. Usually, I hit some fish.

 

Interesting.  Thank you.  We are going to give it a few more tries, and if it doesnt work, we'll try again. 

 

I forgot to post an image of our sort-of hair rigs.  Tomorrow.

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like fishing for anything and everything from salt to fresh, spin and fly and ice fishing. There is no type of fishing I don’t do. Im a huge fan of carp fishing but only go carping once or twice a year because of my fishing diversity. I’ve never understood those who just go bass fishing or just fly fish for trout. 
 

I wouldn’t say I’m a pro by any stretch, just a simple guy with a couple ugly sticks, penn reels and cans of corn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 8:15 AM, poopdeck said:

I like fishing for anything and everything from salt to fresh, spin and fly and ice fishing. There is no type of fishing I don’t do. Im a huge fan of carp fishing but only go carping once or twice a year because of my fishing diversity. I’ve never understood those who just go bass fishing or just fly fish for trout. 
 

I wouldn’t say I’m a pro by any stretch, just a simple guy with a couple ugly sticks, penn reels and cans of corn. 

  I'm the same way.  I just love fishing. No matter where or for what. 

Cheers :howdy:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...