Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

9 hours ago, Craig Gullickson said:

This was a fun read.  I have seen YouTube videos of people catching carp in Los Angeles concrete river system (puddles and such) with wonder bread.  They were HUGE fish!  I've never targeted them before though.  Sounds like fun!

Fishing at its most basic. Rod/reel, mono, hook, a split shot if there's current. Tie the bread bag to your pant loop, chum and bait, sight cast. There's still a ton of skill involved, I know guys that will outfish me 2 to 1.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 11:46 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I came across a white mullberry tree a few years ago.  Delicious lil things!

Just reminded me of all yelling I used to get as a kid, eating black mulberries.

They will leave stains on your cloths, very hard to wash.

And marks on your hands and face would stay for days on.

PS

Some people were using  (still do) mulberries to make a brandy.

Good stuff

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

On 3/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Carpniels said:

mirror carp.jpg

Thanks for posting. What a fish. 

We used to catch (try to mostly) carp as kids with nets and our hands, making mini weirs etc.  

My son saw a massive carp swim by the other day while scouting a new spot for catfish.  There were a few, but one was "as tall as me" (he's a whisker under 5').  So factoring in excited "fish-exaggeration", thats maybe a 35" or 40" carp.  

We've done a little (very little) carp fishing when they were young and get a good laugh at our "dough bait" days, but they are older and getting pretty skilled and would now like to take a more serious stab at it.  Especially  after seeing Carpzilla first hand!   

Though late summer carp fishing may not be ideal (?) we are going to get our corn and see what we can come up with.   

I enjoyed reading your posts in this thread-  appreciate your input.  

Edited by 55555s

On 4/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, ermghoti said:

I eventually discovered the European techniques after stumbling upon Carp Anglers Group in the late 90s or early 2000s.

That brings back memories; I was a member from 2000 until they quit printing their magazine, which was the highlight of my month when it arrived. I went to several of their fish-ins (Tidal Basin, Washington, DC, St. Lawrence River, NY) and it was great to hang out with other 'crazy carpfishermen.'

Loved the camaraderie and the friendly competition trying to outfish the next guy. And still have a beer afterwards and try to learn their 'secret.'

I've gotten older, had 4 kids and that hindered traveling. Then we had sports, marching band, cross country and then weekends went away and fishing was reduced to a minimum. Sad, but perhaps when they're all gone, I can go traveling again for carp.

Carpniels

Fisherman with 4 sons. I hope they all catch the 'bug' so I have a good excuse to leave the house and go fishing.

My brother fly fishes for them.  He 'guided' a trip for me this summer.  What a blast...totally overlooked fish.  He blogs - google ****** blog, pretty fascinating

Just b/c you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD....
(what you do DOES make a difference - be accountable)
BigWave Dave

2 mins ago, 55555s said:

Did I see you yesterday afternoon along a popular river?  Guy had a compact car,  2 rods, one a long yellow rod, and a can of corn, and a cutting board?  

No, wasn't me. I was cat fishing on the Delaware yesterday. But all the carp are from a popular river in N.J.

7 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Does anyone have some suggestions for a fish mat?

Hi KnK,

I'm not sure if it's shown on my pics, but I've been using a Therm-a-Rest mat for decades now. I found it 'used' after Woodstock99 in one of the buildings on the Air Force base where it was held. It folds up easily, takes up hardly any room, is tough, cleans easily and I can use it too in case I'm tired during fishing and haven't caught a thing :)

I bet some garage sales will have them cheap. Or a knock off at Wallyworld? A real one might be pricey.

Thanks - carpniels

Fisherman with 4 sons. I hope they all catch the 'bug' so I have a good excuse to leave the house and go fishing.

1 hour ago, Carpniels said:

Hi KnK,

I'm not sure if it's shown on my pics, but I've been using a Therm-a-Rest mat for decades now. I found it 'used' after Woodstock99 in one of the buildings on the Air Force base where it was held. It folds up easily, takes up hardly any room, is tough, cleans easily and I can use it too in case I'm tired during fishing and haven't caught a thing :)

I bet some garage sales will have them cheap. Or a knock off at Wallyworld? A real one might be pricey.

Thanks - carpniels

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to start looking for one. I like the idea of the mat have a dual purpose, and seems easily transportable. Just out of curiosity, what's the story behind the fish in your avatar? Thats a big fish!  Thanks again.

8 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Does anyone have some suggestions for a fish mat? I hate having to put the fish on the grass. I try to keep the fish on the net, as it's wet, but I'd like to find something better.

Discount store yoga mat? If you're not laying them on rocks or pavement, you can get a weigh sling pretty cheap.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075