Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

Grew up fishing carp. Corn, worms, wonder bread balls, wild berries worked well depending on the place and time of the year. However my biggest carp that I have caught came on a 1/8 ounce marabou caught in 9:04am February 2019 just testing out a rod before work. I could not get it out of the water because I had to be at work in less than 10 minutes and didn't want to smell like fish. I caught it on a 6lb leader. It was as long as my leg and just as wide. Pic doesn't do it justice.

IMG_20200219_090405.jpg.d20569a316be1dbef935083d718b0dc4.jpg

23 mins ago, Azballa7 said:

It's been several years since iv caught a carp! Tried several times on the fly last couple of years and just couldn't get them to eat.

What's y'all favorite carp flies?

As someone said earlier, bread and mulberry flies.  Never used Mulberry.   But I use to fish for Mirrors in southern MA area and would toss bread out to get them going and bring them closer.   Then toss a bread fly.  This can be bonito bunny or gurgler as long as it is white.   I found what worked best was flies that sat sub surface, like a wet piece of bread.   When I saw a carp nearby I toss it out.  Or after on gulps bread they often come back for a second bite and I'd toss my fly out.   Lots of fun.   Haven't done it in a few years, since I bought a boat.  But it is fun and low effort.  Don't have to walk a mile in the woods and bring 100 different flies.   Good with kids too.  

On 6/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, faithless said:

Grew up fishing carp. Corn, worms, wonder bread balls, wild berries worked well depending on the place and time of the year. However my biggest carp that I have caught came on a 1/8 ounce marabou caught in 9:04am February 2019 just testing out a rod before work. I could not get it out of the water because I had to be at work in less than 10 minutes and didn't want to smell like fish. I caught it on a 6lb leader. It was as long as my leg and just as wide. Pic doesn't do it justice.

IMG_20200219_090405.jpg.d20569a316be1dbef935083d718b0dc4.jpg

:th:

I actually hone my walleye jigging skills on carp and buffalo. Those fish are a lot tougher to entice vs walleye, the better you get at triggering a carp or buffalo to inhale a jig the easier walleye and their cousins get to catch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 8:36 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I've known people that will keep them in clean water pools to flush out the bad stuff. But I worry too much about the toxins in big old fish.  Same with turtles.  

But I would worry less if I found some in a decently clean body of water which I'm not sure if it even exists.  

Thats what my grandfather used to do back in the 50's when catching carp in the passaic.  "let them purge" for a day.

Most, if not all, of those nastier bioaccumulants ("toxins") are lipid soluble and wont do much purging out in a fresh pool.  They store up in the fatty tissue and oils.  Cant hurt trying though.

I used to have so much fun when the mulberries were on the trees.  I'd use an ultralight rod and 4 lb test. Pin a berry to a #6 hook and sight cast to the carp. They're super spooky so you had to stalk them like you're hunting deer.

They decided to take the dam down in the creek I used to fish and that put an end to it.

2 hours ago, ridenfish said:

I used to have so much fun when the mulberries were on the trees.  I'd use an ultralight rod and 4 lb test. Pin a berry to a #6 hook and sight cast to the carp. They're super spooky so you had to stalk them like you're hunting deer.

They decided to take the dam down in the creek I used to fish and that put an end to it.

Id have a hard time not eating the bait!

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Thats what my grandfather used to do back in the 50's when catching carp in the passaic.  "let them purge" for a day.

Most, if not all, of those nastier bioaccumulants ("toxins") are lipid soluble and wont do much purging out in a fresh pool.  They store up in the fatty tissue and oils.  Cant hurt trying though.

thanks for this.  Good info

Popasilov........thanks for the memories which are starting to fade in the fog of time. My dad was also a carp fisherman extraordinaire. He too had a secret bait formula. Corn meal, smooshed up mulberries and just the right amount of shredded cotton balls to act as a binder.  This concoction worked !  Later in life I started fooling around with ways to attach mulberries to fly tackle. The most reliable method for me was to wrap unripe berries to a #8 or 10 hook in the same way you would twine-wrap a clam on a surf rig. Shallow pond, 5wt, 6x and hold on !   Poor man's bonefish.  

A 3 or 4lb. bulldog and you'd have enough time for a sandwich and a beer before you could grab him. Kudos to all the carp fishermen out there.

13 hours ago, ridenfish said:

You bring up an interesting point in this post about carp being spooky. I think your average town duck pond fish are used to human activity, as opposed to wild fish. Many of my prime spots are pretty well off the beaten path. I realized pretty quickly that if you can see the fish, they can see you. Once they realize your there, it's game over. So it pays to camo up, and stay as quiet and far off the bank as possible. Once they know your there, it seems their curiosity gets the better of them, and they will cautiously cruise by, and check you out.