RAW

Carp Fishing? who does or did?

351 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2021 at 10:40 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Nope.  Just scaled.    I love bone in fish.  I eat alot of mine that way.  This summer I did a few sea robins whole.  Then stripped the meat off the bones, tossed them in a bit of teriyaki, diced avocado & tomatoes& roasted hot peppers. Ate them in a tortilla.  

When I was a kid my grandma used to cook cod steaks in a really thin tomato sauce with peppers & onions.  Then we had it over soft polenta.    I bet carp would be great that way.  

Dang, that's got me hungry and I've got another 3 hours before my lunch break.

It's funny that too many people won't eat fish simply because they only eat it ONE way.

Fish, like chicken, can pick up all sorts of flavor from the ingredients it's cooked/prepared with.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2021 at 2:09 PM, Callmefish said:

I used to fish of carp in the colombia river for money they were invasive and we got paid per fish

That was part of the problem. That and the fact that they could tolerate more pollution than most other fish (probably because they can breathe surface air if needed).

14 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

That was part of the problem. That and the fact that they could tolerate more pollution than most other fish (probably because they can breathe surface air if needed).

I don’t understand what you mean.

I lost my favorite eagle claw yellow UL rod and Mitchell 308 reel to a carp 40+yrs ago. Threw out a hook with  corn, chummed and put the rod down on a Y stick. Walked 30ft to throw a bass lure on another rod and heard splash..GONE.

Carp are an interesting fish. Their oversized lips are ultra-sensitive to allow them to feel/taste food that they can't see.

They will suck in food, taste it, and if it's edible, they will try eating/chewing it.

They eat using crushing boney plates in the back of their mouths/throat.

When they feel anything that doesn't feel right, they will spit out whatever it is.

With carp rigs that typically means your hook, which will generally hook the mouth on the way out.

Because of their sensitive mouths, the hook jab shocks them and they run, thus setting the hook and pealing off line in the process. Since they feed primarily on the bottom, on decaying vegetation, insects and crustaceans, they will undoubtedly pick up our corn, boilies and dough balls without a second thought.

I do most of my carp fishing in the spring and fall, and usually end up catching other things in the process.

Using corn on a small bait hook (big enough for 3 kernels) I've caught carp, trout, crappie, sunfish, catfish and even turtles. The turtles usually get snagged from crossing the line, not from eating the corn.

It's something for me to do before kayak season ramps up in mid-late spring (for me).

On 3/7/2021 at 1:42 PM, Popasilov said:

Where I came from, carp was consider great eating and it was served on special dinners or feasts.

Almost all fishermen were dreaming to catch a big carp. My dad was one of them. He would catch carp now and than, with biggest one being around 5 lb.

Man, was he happy bringing home that fish. It was a talk of the neighborhood for months. That was back in 77 or maybe 78.

My parents came to visit me 1993, when I lived in Vegas.

I took dad fishing to Lake Mead. Bunch of fishermen, standing on the shore, casting for stripers  and my dad soaking corn and fresh cook palenta (special recipe) for carp.

His rod tip start bending few times; my dad slowly grabbing the rod (with carp, you do not set hook right away, you wait for it little bit); me leaving my rod on the side and grabbing camera and start recording.

He finally set the hook, that rod bended almost all the way to the water ( 7' Ugly stick from Walmart) and he start reeling.

All the people around , noticed that and moved closer; you could hear clapping and all those "yea man", "bravo", "way to go" etc.

Slowly, he is working rod, reeling, you can tell he got a big fish on the other side. And he is taking his time. He would bring that fish, like 10 yards to the shore and , then, he would loose his drag and let fish go away.

So, he is into this for 7, 8 minutes, all the people closed to us, stopped fishing and now they are watching him, bringing this "monster".

Finally, he brings fish in, ready to grab it, you can hear people around,  now changing tune "sh$$t, it's a carp" "fked it" , " I knew it" and so.

My dad, takes a fish out, big fat carp, very dark color, around 25lb. He is all shaking, holding that fish and looking at the camera and me.

I told him good job dad, now let it go.

He looked me, his eyes wide open, still shaking and hardly talking " Are you fken crazy? This is the biggest fish I ever caught. No way, no how."

I am still laughing thinking of that moment, while writing this.

One of the best time I ever had with my dad.

That is great stuff.

There are some clean lakes up North of Pittsburgh that I fish. Maybe I will try some carp from up that way. The flesh does look very appetizing; also just like salmon.

20 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The flesh does look very appetizing; also just like salmon.

Looks OK but tastes like mud.  Try it shashimi style.

14 mins ago, oc1 said:

Looks OK but tastes like mud.  Try it shashimi style.

I will have to find out for myself.

Tasted a lot of fish that tasted like mud due to water quality at that point in the season when normally they would be considered some of the best tasting FW fish there is.

Now

Carp is a very good eating.

No need for a secret recipe.

Lake Mead carp are all bread with gold fish and who knows what.

I have seen carp in the lake that have black, dark and yellow meat.

In old Las Vegas marina, you could see 50lb+ carp, together with huge stripers, swimming in the marina and fighting for the popcorn.

Popcorn would bring you a boiling water.

It was amazing watching stripers hitting popcorn in the marina...You could put finger in their mouth.

Only in Las Vegas, baby.

Only in Vegas

Edited by Popasilov
spelling

Off flavors are usually caused by certain types of algae and the stuff they excrete.  Carp specialize in slurping up dead and dying algae as it settles to the bottom.  Their digestive system is designed to process a large amount of material with only limited nutritional value.  A bass may be exposed to the same algae in the water column, but at a much lower concentration and the bass is not intentionally ingesting it.  The bulk of it's nutrition is from predation.

Carp have become much tougher to catch here in the lower Allegheny after this bow fishing guide has pretty much worked the area over for the past 3yrs.

Now, you really have to work hard to catch them. Somehow a lot of the buffalo have survived the ceaseless onslaught which is nice, but they just don't fight close to as hard as a carp.

During the winter and spring I find myself chasing carp with the same jigs I use on walleye.

1/4oz to 1/2oz jigs with Keitechs and twisters tails. A lot of fun when not much else is willing to hit in the shallows.