RAW

Carp Fishing? who does or did?

351 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Callmefish said:

Just rod and  reel with a corn mash doughball

I went after them 2 times with a couple corn kernels, I landed a 17 lb on my first time out.

I spotted them cruising while largemouth fishing then read up a bit on them and tried for them.

6 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I went after them 2 times with a couple corn kernels, I landed a 17 lb on my first time out.

I spotted them cruising while largemouth fishing then read up a bit on them and tried for them.

Well if you ever in zone 6 on the Columbia river (washington side)

this is the contact info to get paid out (they don’t pay for as many as they used too) but if you like to fish, why not get paid for it, plus no limit.

https://www.critfc.org/invasive/

During shad season in Holyoke Ma. across from the areas normally fished (South Hadley Ma )after water drops they  pile up in dam. 

I was bass fishing matted grass w/ a frog rod 50lb braid line changed the menu to Berkley power worm 12"  motor oil large Carp took it about 38 "  That was some fish ( released ) ,  missed a few on the 8w fly last season , it's on the top of my list 2021  

Thays a really nice fish. You nver know what they might eat. The guys who bow and arrow carp over grass said they seem to eat veggies?

34 mins ago, RAW said:

Thays a really nice fish. You nver know what they might eat. The guys who bow and arrow carp over grass said they seem to eat veggies?

I don’t know much about them ,but they are in almost every pond in every public park in the NE . Fish on ! 

2 hours ago, RAW said:

I grow up learning that carp bate is either corn, bread dough, cooked polenta or earthworm.

Like my dad used to say, that's all you need to know about bait for carp.

Next thing is patient and hook set.

Carp has a tendency to touch bait with its lips, hold it in open mouth, spit it out and take it again.

This could be repeated several times before he close its mouth and try to swallow bate.

If you try to set hook early, bate and hook just get out of its mouth without ever touching its lips.

You can fish with float/bobber or bottom, depending from the time of the year.

Those are my dad' words and I will remember them for the rest of my life.

I was planing trip to upstate NY for last few years, just for the carp fishing. there are two or three lakes that hold a big carps and it is on my "to do" list before I move out of NY.

I fished for them many years ago, mainly on the Bohemia River in MD.  I usually had two or three rods in the water sitting on forked sticks.  Bait was corn meal balls molded on to single or treble hooks.  Took my grandmother's(the Italian side)polenta recipe, flavored it with either vanilla or anisette and added sugar.  I cooked it until I could roll into a large ball.   Once in a while my other grandmother who lived down in MD would ask me to bring a couple home either to make gefilte fish or bake for dinner.  Not bad eating.  Most of the carp ranged from 5 to 15 lbs.  The biggest was close to 40 lbs. I've hooked a couple by accident while fly fishing but don't really target them. 

I grew up in the UK where carp fishing is very popular and spent many years fishing for them. They were the species that got me hooked on fishing so I have a lot of respect for them. Those who pursue them spend thousands and devote countless days and nights on day ticket and syndicate lakes which are purpose built and house hundreds of carp. Many lakes have resident fish which are named and sought after by anglers from all across Europe. Carp are considered to be one of the best freshwater sport fish and great care is taken when handling them and they are always returned to the water after the battle has concluded. They are fished for with advanced rigs and boilies which are a mixture of eggs, fishmeal and other flavorings and boiled and molded into round balls. Rods are 12’ in length and fished with big pit reels and electronic bite indicators. Since moving to the US I have fished for them in the NYC area with fish up to 20lbs. As stated on here already sweet corn is a great bait along with bread which I usually use to catch them from the surface in the summer months. However I find that catching them off the bottom in late fall when the turtles are less active to be the best time to target the larger ones.

41 mins ago, Popasilov said:

I grow up learning that carp bate is either corn, bread dough, cooked polenta or earthworm.

Like my dad used to say, that's all you need to know about bait for carp.

Next thing is patient and hook set.

Those are my dad' words and I will remember them for the rest of my life.

I was planing trip to upstate NY for last few years, just for the carp fishing. there are two or three lakes that hold a big carps and it is on my "to do" list before I move out of NY.

In 2022 it is possible that the world carp fishing championship will be held in New York on the Seneca river/Lake Onondaga. I fished there for an afternoon last year while I was on vacation. Although I didn’t catch that trip I did see some big fish (30lb+) in the margins and jumping in the distance. I wish I had more time. Would highly recommend it if you have a a couple of free days. 

1 hour ago, Tristan454 said:

In 2022 it is possible that the world carp fishing championship will be held in New York on the Seneca river/Lake Onondaga.

Thanks

I heard about Lake Onondaga but it may be to far away from me for a day trip.

I was thinking of few other lakes about 2 to 3 hours drive from Long Island.

There may be couple of other lakes in the Connecticut, too.

Lake Onondaga and finger lakes have a very nice northern pike fishing.

Last time I drove back from Rochester I didn't have time to stop by but there is a plan for 3 days trip this year in that area.

Just for carp, northern pike and walleyes.

Just a plan for now.

And most important thing

Wife agrees with all of this.

Credit cards are in her wallet anyway.

Edited by Popasilov