Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

1 hour ago, DougK said:

at first I fished the hair rig with conventional paternoster or sliding sinker, and it didn't hook anything at all. I'd see bites but they would not turn into runs and I couldn't figure out any way to strike that worked. 
Then tried the bolt rig, which uses a heavy sinker 1-3oz and short trace. That hooked fish, but the hook doesn't hold. My guess is the heavy sinker is creating some kind of interference so the hook tears out: or the rig hooks the fish very lightly. 
Either way I couldn't get it to work.. tried self-tied hair rigs like justafisher illustrates above, and commercial ones. It looks like a good idea but my carp are too smart or I'm too dumb to fish them right.. 

Not sure what type of rods and line you are using.Most of my carp fishing has been with carp or salmon rods, 2-6 oz lead. with 12 to 15 mono. tie my hair rigs with braid short 6 to 10 inches from the lead. i have very few become unhooked. it could be the softer rod and mono. 
Most have been in the ct river with current to deal with to. 

What about popcorn?

Not popped but kernels.  I have about 5lbs of "bad" popcorn kernels.  Wouldn't pop. So I got credit. Was going to feed it to the squirrels but I eat more fish than squirrel these days. 

I'm thinking of soaking then boiling. Maybe scenting with other flavors. Like vanilla or strawberry. 

What about Gulp corn?61da28c269847_images(2).jpeg.955d8073e30c2c0526af9a1fced6857c.jpeg

6 hours ago, DougK said:

my old carp fiberglass rods from when I was young, 6 or 8lb mono on centerpin reels.. 

carp1.jpg.cd61e9f66ba8fd1d4e89ee3677ebf0ed.jpg

That looks awesome.  I'd love to try center pin.   

I also love old fiberglass rods.  I got alot of my fishing gear from trash heaps and garbage dumps as a kid.  I had a yellow glass rod (Shakespeare?) That I fixed the guides with cut off safety pins, black tape and nail polish I stole from my grandmother.  I found a South Bend spinning reel somewhere.  Drag was completly toasted, I just cinched it down, so if I caught anything of size, I would backreel.  Sometimes I'd have to let the handle go on big runs and just free spool it using my knuckles to keep the spinning handle in check.  

I remember the day I snapped that rod.  I came across a big snapping turtle on a trail to a fishing spot.   I was trying to coax it away with my rod.  Sucked grabbed it and snapped into it like a Slim Jim!     I'd love to find another rod like that.   IIRC it was 7-7.5 ft.  Rather light.  Could lob a soft bait with the touch of an angel. 

8 hours ago, derekh said:

So much for my softer rod  opinion 

ha. The whole hair rig thing is a puzzle to me - the rig has entirely taken over carp fishing, I've been carp fishing for fifty years now so know at least one or two things, but can't make the rig work for me at all.. 

8 hours ago, albacized said:

I don't really fish for carp in the more traditional sense...but each year, I check off my annual bucket list item of catching one on the fly (except I didn't really get the chance this past season)

my favorite carp-on-the-fly pond winterkilled last year, the usually reliable lake was entirely surrounded by fishermen all year long and the carp never came in shallow.. had to make a trip out of town to find some carp to cast a fly at.. 

56 mins ago, DougK said:

ha. The whole hair rig thing is a puzzle to me - the rig has entirely taken over carp fishing, I've been carp fishing for fifty years now so know at least one or two things, but can't make the rig work for me at all.. 

my favorite carp-on-the-fly pond winterkilled last year, the usually reliable lake was entirely surrounded by fishermen all year long and the carp never came in shallow.. had to make a trip out of town to find some carp to cast a fly at.. 

It sounds like something in your hair rig set up is  spooking the fish before they commit. Since I switched to the hair rig, my success has increased 10 fold. My rod is a 7' Whisker Seeker MH Eglass, paired with a Spinfisher V 4500, spooled with 12lb Ande mono. In spite of it's heavy rating, it's what I would say "soft", which I think helps snap back and turn the hook. I use an egg sinker with my hair, as light as possible, usually 1/4 oz or sometimes 1/8oz if the the river is really low. I don't like the fish to feel any resistance. When I cast, and set the bait in the spot I want, I slack out the line until the line just barely hits the ground. That seems to give the fish enough room to take off, while turning the hook when it reaches the end of the line. Here's a picture of the hair rigs I tie. They are 30lb braid, with a 30lb barrel swivel, and a 2/0 Eagle Claw Laser Sharp Circle. I like to vary the lengths of the loop between 1/2" and 3/4" below the bend. Sometimes it seems to make a difference.B22E9BB8-9511-493F-8E9A-06B2B7236A69.jpeg.f6a8684462e6e0ecd7aa75d45649e309.jpeg

As some of you know and others may not, carp fishermen in the UK and in some European and Asia countries

take carp fishing up a notch. If interested, do a search on the net for UK carp fishing tackle or UK coarse fishing tackle. The assortment of rods, reels and terminal tackle for carp and coarse fishing is amazing. It is extremely interesting to see what is available for targeting these fish.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, RAW said:

Most carp fishing is shoreline. There some videos out there by Al Gags . I think there is a carp club, . Or certainly a blog where guys talk. 

NJ has a large Group of Bow Fisherman very active even Guided and Charters The Delaware River above Tidel  on up above the Gap being Prime Grounds, Many Launches at Worthington State Park Ramp Free, Photos are reference only,

Shad Bow fishing is also popular from Step ladders in the River. 

rs=w_400,cg_true.jpg

885_p15505500.jpeg

52e_gh045285mp400075324still004.jpeg

81XH7qLPMNL._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg

10 hours ago, KG said:

As some of you know and others may not, carp fishermen in the UK and in some European and Asia countries

take carp fishing up a notch. If interested, do a search on the net for UK carp fishing tackle or UK coarse fishing tackle. The assortment of rods, reels and terminal tackle for carp and coarse fishing is amazing. It is extremely interesting to see what is available for targeting these fish.

I enjoy the European carp scene . Nash and Korda put out a lot of video content as well as good podcasts . They really take it to another level. It doesn’t always translate to success here . Their fish are heavily baited with boilies , pellets, and particles . They are used to feeding on those foods . It takes a bit of work and time to get carp used to feeding on those items here. 
  I dig the gear though . I like how technical and precise it is. 

9 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

NJ has a large Group of Bow Fisherman very active even Guided and Charters The Delaware River above Tidel  on up above the Gap being Prime Grounds, Many Launches at Worthington State Park Ramp Free, Photos are reference only,

Shad Bow fishing is also popular from Step ladders in the River. 

rs=w_400,cg_true.jpg

885_p15505500.jpeg

52e_gh045285mp400075324still004.jpeg

81XH7qLPMNL._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg

Is that carp fishing ? I don’t think so . It’s bow hunting for carp . I bow hunt for deer , and have killed a pile , but I eat them . What’s the point of shooting a fish you don’t want to eat ? I don’t get it.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:49 PM, KarpsnKatz said:

It sounds like something in your hair rig set up is  spooking the fish before they commit. Since I switched to the hair rig, my success has increased 10 fold. My rod is a 7' Whisker Seeker MH Eglass, paired with a Spinfisher V 4500, spooled with 12lb Ande mono. In spite of it's heavy rating, it's what I would say "soft", which I think helps snap back and turn the hook. I use an egg sinker with my hair, as light as possible, usually 1/4 oz or sometimes 1/8oz if the the river is really low. I don't like the fish to feel any resistance. When I cast, and set the bait in the spot I want, I slack out the line until the line just barely hits the ground. That seems to give the fish enough room to take off, while turning the hook when it reaches the end of the line. Here's a picture of the hair rigs I tie. They are 30lb braid, with a 30lb barrel swivel, and a 2/0 Eagle Claw Laser Sharp Circle. I like to vary the lengths of the loop between 1/2" and 3/4" below the bend. Sometimes it seems to make a difference.

thank you - will tie up some rigs like that, and try once the water thaws here..

10 hours ago, justafisher said:

Is that carp fishing ? I don’t think so . It’s bow hunting for carp . I bow hunt for deer , and have killed a pile , but I eat them . What’s the point of shooting a fish you don’t want to eat ? I don’t get it.

I don't get it either.