RAW

Carp Fishing? who does or did?

204 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Tsavo303 said:

If you see something big in the water, you have to try to catch it.  I love catching the grass carp or common ones . And am grateful esp if the bass aren’t biting 

6C080796-5942-40FA-ABF4-825D2E1B35DD.jpeg

E51E324E-0212-4D03-B1A5-36B0CF5B347A.jpeg

Nice catch!

Took my son Carp fishing Friday after he got home from work. 15.6 pounds and was then released. He also caught a 4 pound cat. That was after I spent 61/2 hours Smallmouth fishing in the river in my yak. No one said retirement would be easy. 

4037138E-7991-4AC7-AECC-321198102840.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Took my son Carp fishing Friday after he got home from work. 15.6 pounds and was then released. He also caught a 4 pound cat. That was after I spent 61/2 hours Smallmouth fishing in the river in my yak. No one said retirement would be easy. 

4037138E-7991-4AC7-AECC-321198102840.jpeg

Wtg. That is how too fish!!

On 3/7/2021 at 1:42 PM, Popasilov said:

My parents came to visit me 1993, when I lived in Vegas.

I took dad fishing to Lake Mead. Bunch of fishermen, standing on the shore, casting for stripers  and my dad soaking corn and fresh cook palenta (special recipe) for carp.

His rod tip start bending few times; my dad slowly grabbing the rod (with carp, you do not set hook right away, you wait for it little bit); me leaving my rod on the side and grabbing camera and start recording.

He finally set the hook, that rod bended almost all the way to the water ( 7' Ugly stick from Walmart) and he start reeling.

All the people around , noticed that and moved closer; you could hear clapping and all those "yea man", "bravo", "way to go" etc.

Slowly, he is working rod, reeling, you can tell he got a big fish on the other side. And he is taking his time. He would bring that fish, like 10 yards to the shore and , then, he would loose his drag and let fish go away.

So, he is into this for 7, 8 minutes, all the people closed to us, stopped fishing and now they are watching him, bringing this "monster".

Finally, he brings fish in, ready to grab it, you can hear people around,  now changing tune "sh$$t, it's a carp" "fked it" , " I knew it" and so.

My dad, takes a fish out, big fat carp, very dark color, around 25lb. He is all shaking, holding that fish and looking at the camera and me.

I told him good job dad, now let it go.

He looked me, his eyes wide open, still shaking and hardly talking " Are you fken crazy? This is the biggest fish I ever caught. No way, no how."

I am still laughing thinking of that moment, while writing this.

One of the best time I ever had with my dad.

Thank you guys

My dad passed away two months ago.

This is my favorite story about him that I am telling to everyone of my friends when we talk about parents.

I wish I had spend more time fishing with him.

Carp fishing.png

On 11/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, Popasilov said:

Thank you guys

My dad passed away two months ago.

This is my favorite story about him that I am telling to everyone of my friends when we talk about parents.

I wish I had spend more time fishing with him.

Carp fishing.png

Thats a great story, and certainly a fish to be proud of.

I send my condolences on the passing of your father.

Never fished and caught carp, at least not directly. I fished a local pond one time, using a jerkbait. Then got it stuck on something, which was also shaking on its own. Turns out to be a carp that was stuck and connected to a rig snagged towards the middle of the pond. Took a long time and many angles to try to get it free, and finally did. 

It turns out my lure got caught on the leader of the rig in the carp's mouth, and that rig was tangled in something, probably a branch. I had no way of knowing how long that carp was stuck, leashed to that branch(?) like a dog, but it didn't fight much when I bought it to the bank. I guess I can say I saved a carp that day!

20201121_152423.jpg.5b5321594c28a9b1e0c79fe8c574603e.jpg

Which reminds me, I should start trying out carp fishing.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:25 AM, cheech said:

I catch several per year from a kayak on the Hudson River while chasing bass. Dedicated shore guys starting in the wee hours catch plenty. In April carp start flying out of the shallow water for mating, we often whack em while they’re on their nests with the paddle! Both scare you every time. If you can catch carp, chances are catfish can be found also. This guy felt like a 40# because it was foul hooked.

So does that means you can catch carp in salt water, as in the case of the Hudson river? Maybe South of Tappan Zee bridge or GWB?

Lots of time for carp fishing, I noticed that long rods are used. Anyone know why  12-13 foot rods would be commonly used to target carp? I'm thinking it might be due to the lightness of carp rigs and baits? Or is it for distance, so you don't spook the fish? 

1 hour ago, AmericanStriper said:

Lots of time for carp fishing, I noticed that long rods are used. Anyone know why  12-13 foot rods would be commonly used to target carp? I'm thinking it might be due to the lightness of carp rigs and baits? Or is it for distance, so you don't spook the fish? 

I'm not completely sure on the history, but these long rods started to be used in England in the 1950s (Bruce and Walker Mark IV rods) which were 10 ft long. The soft rods allowed for casting longer distances with soft baits and had a lot of 'give' so the hook would pull out of the carp lips during landing. I'm sure the older fishing lines and hooks were also kinda weak compared to current materials. The longer rods also allowed you to steer the carp after hooking it so it wouldn't get caught in snags around the smallish ponds that people used to fish for carp in the 20th century in England. Or you could drop your bait ever so gently over the reeds on the bank in front of you.

Then when rods went from glass to carbon, the length was increased to cast even further. So 12 ft became the standards as a 2-piece will nicely fit in a holdall and then in the back of your subcompact Vauxhall hatchback or station wagon.

Thanks - Carpniels