RAW

Carp Fishing? who does or did?

380 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Discount store yoga mat? If you're not laying them on rocks or pavement, you can get a weigh sling pretty cheap.

these are also great ideas. I'm sure the wife has a yoga mat around here somewhere. I'll have to look for that. The weigh sling is also another good option. Thanks!

1 hour ago, KarpsnKatz said:

these are also great ideas. I'm sure the wife has a yoga mat around here somewhere. I'll have to look for that. The weigh sling is also another good option. Thanks!

I was checking around, you can get a mat about as cheap as a sling. Check Big Carp Tackle. The site's not great to navigate, but they have a few choices under $30. I have one very much like the "Dinsmores," probably the same OEM. You can roll it tight, squeezing out the air to travel or store compactly, but it poofs right back up when you unroll it. $8 plus shipping. Again, if you're placing them on grass/mud, the sling would be just as good, and, you know, nice for weighing them.

Hi KnK,

That photo is of my third son. He was 10 years old in 2016 and fishing by himself early June to catch SMB, perch or rock bass. He cast towards the deep and hooked this on a 2-inch Storm shad on a 6-ft Ugly stick with 6-lb mono on a Shimano Sierra. Drag was sent right, lake is clear with no obstacles, so he landed it with my help after one of his friends that came by saw it and ran over to the house to get me. 42 inch, 26 pound. Largest I've even seen from our local lake.

Thanks - Carpniels

P.S. the mat he's sitting on is the Therm-a-rest that I talked about! Purple.

8 hours ago, Carpniels said:

Hi KnK,

That photo is of my third son. He was 10 years old in 2016 and fishing by himself early June to catch SMB, perch or rock bass. He cast towards the deep and hooked this on a 2-inch Storm shad on a 6-ft Ugly stick with 6-lb mono on a Shimano Sierra. Drag was sent right, lake is clear with no obstacles, so he landed it with my help after one of his friends that came by saw it and ran over to the house to get me. 42 inch, 26 pound. Largest I've even seen from our local lake.

Thanks - Carpniels

P.S. the mat he's sitting on is the Therm-a-rest that I talked about! Purple.

That’s a great story! It’s even more impressive that he caught it on such light tackle. That takes skill. Congratulations to him on such an impressive catch!

On 8/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Popasilov said:

Just reminded me of all yelling I used to get as a kid, eating black mulberries.

They will leave stains on your cloths, very hard to wash.

And marks on your hands and face would stay for days on.

PS

Some people were using  (still do) mulberries to make a brandy.

Good stuff

We had white mulberry in my yard as a kid, and down by the river and streams both white and purple.  Loved them.  We'd try to net the carp that came up for them when you shook an overhanging branch.  Was pretty cool.   

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

We had white mulberry in my yard as a kid, and down by the river and streams both white and purple.  Loved them.  We'd try to net the carp that came up for them when you shook an overhanging branch.  Was pretty cool.   

Same here

At grandparents house, we had a big, white mulberry tree.

Black/purple were very common around the small streams and around few springs that we had in the village.

Sadly, most of those trees are gone today.

1 min ago, Popasilov said:

Same here

At grandparents house, we had a big, white mulberry tree.

Black/purple were very common around the small streams and around few springs that we had in the village.

Sadly, most of those trees are gone today.

I know we cut ours (in the backyard) down in the 90's.   

I may go to Danerts and over the bridge to Wallington to check them out!  I bet there are still plenty.  

Oh boy

Would I love to climb those threes, eat black mulberries and get stains all over my face.

Happy days

Posted (edited)

Walked the Saddle river sight fishing for carp late day/ early evening with my angling addicted son.  

We found a couple spots with a few carp, so we chummed a little, casted, waited, recasted, adjusted...

15 - 20 carp came and went in groups of 2-5.  None huge like we saw in other locations the past couple weeks, but plenty of fish.  

We came to the conclusion that carp dont eat, and they cannot be caught.  

It was actually a lot of fun.  I'll post pics of the bait and rigs we tied up some time when i get a chance tomorrow, maybe you can all chime in and ridicule/give advice etc.  

FWIW, that river/stream has cleaned up quite a bit from back when i was a kid.  We were in and amongst quite a wide range of wildlife.  it was great to see that suburban/nearly urban area doing so well. 

Edited by 55555s

20 hours ago, 55555s said:

Walked the Saddle river sight fishing for carp late day/ early evening with my angling addicted son.  

We found a couple spots with a few carp, so we chummed a little, casted, waited, recasted, adjusted...

15 - 20 carp came and went in groups of 2-5.  None huge like we saw in other locations the past couple weeks, but plenty of fish.  

We came to the conclusion that carp dont eat, and they cannot be caught.  

It was actually a lot of fun.  I'll post pics of the bait and rigs we tied up some time when i get a chance tomorrow, maybe you can all chime in and ridicule/give advice etc.  

FWIW, that river/stream has cleaned up quite a bit from back when i was a kid.  We were in and amongst quite a wide range of wildlife.  it was great to see that suburban/nearly urban area doing so well. 

When I walk up to a spot, and see Carp either cruising or hanging near the surface, I Know I'm in for a tough day. When I walk up to the same spot, and don't see them, that tells me they put the feed bags on, and are on the bottom. Usually, I hit some fish.

2 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

When I walk up to a spot, and see Carp either cruising or hanging near the surface, I Know I'm in for a tough day. When I walk up to the same spot, and don't see them, that tells me they put the feed bags on, and are on the bottom. Usually, I hit some fish.

Interesting.  Thank you.  We are going to give it a few more tries, and if it doesnt work, we'll try again. 

I forgot to post an image of our sort-of hair rigs.  Tomorrow.

I like fishing for anything and everything from salt to fresh, spin and fly and ice fishing. There is no type of fishing I don’t do. Im a huge fan of carp fishing but only go carping once or twice a year because of my fishing diversity. I’ve never understood those who just go bass fishing or just fly fish for trout. 

I wouldn’t say I’m a pro by any stretch, just a simple guy with a couple ugly sticks, penn reels and cans of corn. 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:15 AM, poopdeck said:

I like fishing for anything and everything from salt to fresh, spin and fly and ice fishing. There is no type of fishing I don’t do. Im a huge fan of carp fishing but only go carping once or twice a year because of my fishing diversity. I’ve never understood those who just go bass fishing or just fly fish for trout. 

I wouldn’t say I’m a pro by any stretch, just a simple guy with a couple ugly sticks, penn reels and cans of corn. 

I'm the same way.  I just love fishing. No matter where or for what. 

Cheers :howdy:

If you see something big in the water, you have to try to catch it.  I love catching the grass carp or common ones . And am grateful esp if the bass aren’t biting 

6C080796-5942-40FA-ABF4-825D2E1B35DD.jpeg

E51E324E-0212-4D03-B1A5-36B0CF5B347A.jpeg

Edited by Tsavo303