Carp Fishing? who does or did?

RAW

In the 60s -85 Carp fishing on the Ct river was awesome, fish in the 30 lb range on 6 lb test. In West Spfld when the power plant dumped hot water out of what was called the bubbler!. Groups of guys would be there 3-4 am around a burning barrel in winter awaiting the discharge which made these monster come right up to it . You could use any gear you wanted, guys make secret dough balls with flavors. But simple whole kernel corn was the equal. The bite was not a bite but just maybe a slow swim away. It could be zero out but this unbelievable fishing. A stick or sand spike to put your rod on with a bell, you would listen if dark as you stood by the great  "barrel of fire". (It was a given you brought some wood) When that plant stopped its discharge I fished what was called Dorman,s or Mt Tom Junction in Northampton, There was a sewer overflow discharge that would percolate all kinds of crap!  Carp waited anxiously for the sound and in they came. You needed a little heavier tackle as the water was deep and they would just sit if you could not put enough pressure on. In West Spfld. the was only 2-3 deep in the winter out 500 '. I've heard there are still spots for those in the know. 

Super abundant where I'm at,used to fish them a lot but not so much anymore.All on flies,sight fishing.

St Marys R in Can/Mi border has HUGE ones,some over 60",I landed a 54" one on a 6wt and a bunch of others that were over 40".

It was an atlantic salmon trip "gone bad" as we hooked none but I saw the wakes of the carp as we pulled into the dock and I went back and chased them on foot,locals thought I was nuts to fish them.

51 mins ago, RAW said:

They are in the Ct river below Ma line

I've never been up that way to fish.  I've only fished the CT river around Middletown time.   

Is there a good amount of public access shoreline? I have no boat.  

I catch several per year from a kayak on the Hudson River while chasing bass. Dedicated shore guys starting in the wee hours catch plenty. In April carp start flying out of the shallow water for mating, we often whack em while they’re on their nests with the paddle! Both scare you every time. If you can catch carp, chances are catfish can be found also. This guy felt like a 40# because it was foul hooked.

737CD5A1-FB19-4467-9A27-2001ED57FB37.jpeg

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

I've never been up that way to fish.  I've only fished the CT river around Middletown time.   

Is there a good amount of public access shoreline? I have no boat.  

Most carp fishing is shoreline. There some videos out there by Al Gags . I think there is a carp club, . Or certainly a blog where guys talk. 

28 mins ago, slip n slide said:

they are...reminds me of pacific cod or pollock; firm and sweet

1st time I ever had it was in France like 20+ years ago.  It was a bone in steak.  Freakin delicious!   Pan seared with a butter sauce.

Then I had it again as gefilte (europe again) where they bake a whole carp stuffed with matzo.    Never knew that was the original, the stuff in the jars is facsimile of the stuffing.    

I've known people that will keep them in clean water pools to flush out the bad stuff. But I worry too much about the toxins in big old fish.  Same with turtles.  

But I would worry less if I found some in a decently clean body of water which I'm not sure if it even exists.  

Biggest carp I ever hooked and the only time I've been nearly spooled in freshwater, was on a man made lake-river in western CT. It was like a log!   Never landed it.  Got it close and it popped off.  

Was a dough bait I made.  I think I used MasaHarina (corn flour) & strawberry jello (definitely that)   boiled it all up. 

37 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

1st time I ever had it was in France like 20+ years ago.  It was a bone in steak.  Freakin delicious!   Pan seared with a butter sauce.

Then I had it again as gefilte (europe again) where they bake a whole carp stuffed with matzo.    Never knew that was the original, the stuff in the jars is facsimile of the stuffing.    

I've known people that will keep them in clean water pools to flush out the bad stuff. But I worry too much about the toxins in big old fish.  Same with turtles.  

But I would worry less if I found some in a decently clean body of water which I'm not sure if it even exists.  

Bone in steak? Never occurred to me,have to try it.Was it even skinned?

There is a large cold-water bog that fills a small stream w/ ice-cold water near where I grew up,used to eat the carp outta there every year,all smaller fish ,16-20"...lots bigger but just ate the lil ones.

Nope.  Just scaled.    I love bone in fish.  I eat alot of mine that way.  This summer I did a few sea robins whole.  Then stripped the meat off the bones, tossed them in a bit of teriyaki, diced avocado & tomatoes& roasted hot peppers. Ate them in a tortilla.  

When I was a kid my grandma used to cook cod steaks in a really thin tomato sauce with peppers & onions.  Then we had it over soft polenta.    I bet carp would be great that way.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

It was a bone in steak.  Freakin delicious! 

LOL

Brings memories.

Traditional dish at our dinner table during St Nicholas feast on December 19, every year.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

18 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

When I was a kid my grandma used to cook cod steaks in a really thin tomato sauce with peppers & onions.  Then we had it over soft polenta.    I bet carp would be great that way. 

Nobody and I mean nobody cooks like grandma.

Nobody

Not even close.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-